• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per sources, the #Panthers have had conversations with Cam Newton regarding a return

TheSpecialJuan

21 minutes ago, onmyown said:

link?

God damn not every single players discussions have a link. It's not like I haven't been right about a ton of other sh*t that has happened. Teams like the Giants have to be sniffing around Cam for a backup job. Could even see him back with Ron as a backup for Wentz. He probably won't get a contract until after the draft unless he resigns to a backup role for sure.

34 minutes ago, hepcat said:

God damn not every single players discussions have a link. It's not like I haven't been right about a ton of other sh*t that has happened. Teams like the Giants have to be sniffing around Cam for a backup job. Could even see him back with Ron as a backup for Wentz. He probably won't get a contract until after the draft unless he resigns to a backup role for sure.

So you are making poo up.  Cool.  

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Ignore them, they’re mad that they’ve been saying for 3 straight years that no one wants cam, so they won’t let their brain fathom that a nfl team may have interest in him , even as a backup.

I say do it.  Start him all year and then maybe the people that think he is still a star will see that is not the case.  Who am I kidding they will blame it all on the offensive line or coach or someone else like they always do, but at least we will come out with a very high draft pick.  

52 minutes ago, Barney said:

I say do it.  Start him all year and then maybe the people that think he is still a star will see that is not the case.  Who am I kidding they will blame it all on the offensive line or coach or someone else like they always do, but at least we will come out with a very high draft pick.  

So if they take a LT in the draft you would rather see darnold the starter all season?? 

5 hours ago, Barney said:

That’s exactly the point. We will definitively  know if Cam can return to form with a line that is above average and a full offseason. If it fails we’re in position for a franchise QB next year. If he plays great then we are back in business. Either way it’s cheap and we don’t have to trade any draft assets to do it. And we don’t have to sign mid level phantom QB scrubs like Jimmy G and Teddy B to multiple year deals. 

• Flames 1

14 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

So if they take a LT in the draft you would rather see darnold the starter all season?? 

No start Cam.  I don't really care.  I don't believe either QB is taking us anywhere. We are not doing anything next season anyway.  I say build the line and play ourselves into a sweet QB pic in 2023. Cam is fools gold he clearly cannot throw the ball deep, has accuracy issues in the short passing game and takes too long to make his reads if he makes them at all. Defenses will play us that way.  He will get a lot of pressure and we will probably hear a lot of whining about our o-line as a result.   Darnold has the ability to throw it deep, but when he gets happy feet he throws it to the other team a lot as does Cam so it really does not matter who we start, chalk this season up as a loser and move on.  Build the o-line for the next QB and head coach.  

Folks,  I see why people who firmly support Cam would think some are being racist because they have trouble hiding racism, but I also think it is worse to make those who are not being racists into racists.  We are Panther fans, and we love most all of our players, regardless of race.  Honestly, I never think about it, but I am not a minority, so it is not for me to decide how an African American or Hispanic might feel.  The best thing whites can do is listen with empathy and try to understand how a situation might feel or look from another perspective. Just because something has been normalized does not mean there is no bias behind it.  I can easily show you exceptions to every stereotype.  That is not to suggest that anyone is ever 100% right or wrong, it means that there are several points of view other than your own that may not be real to you, but they are real to others. 

Here is what I do know:   Cam was given a great shot in New England and it did not go well.  He was given a shot here, and it did not go well.  You all cheered when he would dive into linebackers in the endzone, or when he would lunge head first into a wave of defensive backs seeking a first down.  I cringed.  I predicted (here, on the Huddle) that Cam's career would be cut short, lasting about a decade--I was called a racist.  I have seen people called racist who--from my point of view--did not deserve it and I have seen posts that were dripping with racism.  But the person to blame for opinions about Cam is Ron Rivera and his staff.   I blame Rivera for putting in the option, QB draw, etc.  to help him win games. He should have fined Cam for not sliding.  I knew (posted it here) that he was wearing down his star QB.  He manipulated Cam's will to win and  willingness to do whatever it takes to do it--essentially, that is what coaches in the NFL do to players.  And Rivera won "Coach of the Year" as Cam spent his evenings in the ice tub.  Cam was done before he knew it and before Rivera was willing to admit it.  And when Cam could not win games for him any longer, the Panthers knew it too, and refused to offer him a third contract.  Rivera lost his job and had to move on.  So did Marty.  The person that they rode for just under a decade could no longer carry Ron or hide Marty's mistakes.  It was sad.

So I get wanting to see Cam come back and go out on a high note; he sure did that for us for about 8 years.  However, I do not see any more high-level football in his future because his body, for the first time in his life, is failing him now.  It is not father time, it is wear and tear.  This is not about race.  It does Cam a disservice to make everything involving his career about race--Cam rose above it.  He was loved by all Carolina fans and hated by our enemies--as God intended.

About the pocket passer/"running QB" debate:  Think of it this way:  An NFL running back peaks around age 27-28 and the dropoff after that is incredibly steep for most.  The hits add up.  When your QB, usually in worse position to be taking hits becomes a frequent runner, their bodies are not immune to the RB pounding.  That is why many "running" QBs have short careers--they are part RB.  Cam was part Fullback at times. Cam was never the most accurate passer, but he was successful because he had the run game.  At 33, the run game is not what it once was by any means and the accuracy (due to surgery) is less than what it was.

As for Cam Newton, he was the Panthers' greatest player because he was more than an entertainer and icon.  He was superman.  But over the years, the pounding he took with a big smile on his face became small doses of kryptonite--eating away at him gradually.  I think Cam is done, and I think we owe him our gratitude and respect for putting everything on the line for us.  I could be wrong, but that does not make me a racist--it makes me a realist.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 2