• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per sources, the #Panthers have had conversations with Cam Newton regarding a return

TheSpecialJuan

2 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Mahomes is elite because he can deliver any pass needed.

Cam couldn't plain and simple. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with passing ability. 

Says the guy who would rather keep Sam poo My Pants Darnold over Cam. What about the X’s and O’s you conveniently forgot?  

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

I actually hope it’s true so these people that live in fantasy land thinking he will lead Panthers to the playoffs or SB will be quiet. Hell he hasn’t won us a game in like last 13 starts or something.

Problem is they won't be quiet they will blame his crappy performance on everything but Cam.  They bash Darnold but then say "nobody would have had success behind that line" when talking about Cam.  Bottom line neither are starting QB's in my opinion.  

• Pie 2

On 3/26/2022 at 12:45 AM, OneBadCat said:

Says the guy who would rather keep Sam poo My Pants Darnold over Cam. What about the X’s and O’s you conveniently forgot?  

Just leave the racist alone dude. He's not going to see past skin color. That's apparently clear. 

6 minutes ago, Barney said:

Problem is they won't be quiet they will blame his crappy performance on everything but Cam.  They bash Darnold but then say "nobody would have had success behind that line" when talking about Cam.  Bottom line neither are starting QB's in my opinion.  

There's no need to "bash" Darnald. He bashes himself with his play. 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:46 AM, MHS831 said:

Folks,  I see why people who firmly support Cam would think some are being racist because they have trouble hiding racism, but I also think it is worse to make those who are not being racists into racists.  We are Panther fans, and we love most all of our players, regardless of race.  Honestly, I never think about it, but I am not a minority, so it is not for me to decide how an African American or Hispanic might feel.  The best thing whites can do is listen with empathy and try to understand how a situation might feel or look from another perspective. Just because something has been normalized does not mean there is no bias behind it.  I can easily show you exceptions to every stereotype.  That is not to suggest that anyone is ever 100% right or wrong, it means that there are several points of view other than your own that may not be real to you, but they are real to others. 

Here is what I do know:   Cam was given a great shot in New England and it did not go well.  He was given a shot here, and it did not go well.  You all cheered when he would dive into linebackers in the endzone, or when he would lunge head first into a wave of defensive backs seeking a first down.  I cringed.  I predicted (here, on the Huddle) that Cam's career would be cut short, lasting about a decade--I was called a racist.  I have seen people called racist who--from my point of view--did not deserve it and I have seen posts that were dripping with racism.  But the person to blame for opinions about Cam is Ron Rivera and his staff.   I blame Rivera for putting in the option, QB draw, etc.  to help him win games. He should have fined Cam for not sliding.  I knew (posted it here) that he was wearing down his star QB.  He manipulated Cam's will to win and  willingness to do whatever it takes to do it--essentially, that is what coaches in the NFL do to players.  And Rivera won "Coach of the Year" as Cam spent his evenings in the ice tub.  Cam was done before he knew it and before Rivera was willing to admit it.  And when Cam could not win games for him any longer, the Panthers knew it too, and refused to offer him a third contract.  Rivera lost his job and had to move on.  So did Marty.  The person that they rode for just under a decade could no longer carry Ron or hide Marty's mistakes.  It was sad.

So I get wanting to see Cam come back and go out on a high note; he sure did that for us for about 8 years.  However, I do not see any more high-level football in his future because his body, for the first time in his life, is failing him now.  It is not father time, it is wear and tear.  This is not about race.  It does Cam a disservice to make everything involving his career about race--Cam rose above it.  He was loved by all Carolina fans and hated by our enemies--as God intended.

About the pocket passer/"running QB" debate:  Think of it this way:  An NFL running back peaks around age 27-28 and the dropoff after that is incredibly steep for most.  The hits add up.  When your QB, usually in worse position to be taking hits becomes a frequent runner, their bodies are not immune to the RB pounding.  That is why many "running" QBs have short careers--they are part RB.  Cam was part Fullback at times. Cam was never the most accurate passer, but he was successful because he had the run game.  At 33, the run game is not what it once was by any means and the accuracy (due to surgery) is less than what it was.

As for Cam Newton, he was the Panthers' greatest player because he was more than an entertainer and icon.  He was superman.  But over the years, the pounding he took with a big smile on his face became small doses of kryptonite--eating away at him gradually.  I think Cam is done, and I think we owe him our gratitude and respect for putting everything on the line for us.  I could be wrong, but that does not make me a racist--it makes me a realist.

Ok, you respect Cam. Do you respect what he thinks? What he knows? How he feels?

What about Robby Anderson who said Cam should start next season, out loud? Does Robby know if he can still throw or if he or his body is broken down?

Seattle, Atlanta and Carolina aren't trying to sign him if he's the man that is constantly described here by some as "done".

If "done" players are eligible to play and can pass physicals we should see if Tommy Jane has been good to Jake.

That assessment is very much the outside view of people that don't watch the Panthers.

If you are a game watching Panthers fan you would have seen the incompetency surrounding Cam here in Carolina. From season to season. From Chudzinsky to Shula. From Smitty to Philly Brown. JR would spend every other year and yeah, Riverboat.

Situations matter. Had Chudzinski stayed or Smitty and Greg Hardy in been that Superbowl.

Who was his DJ Moore in New England? CMC? We saw the bad decisions, weak rosters and questionable coaching decisions to know Cam was always a solution never the problem, if anything he's always been a band-aid covering up bullsht.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

NFLrums is bullsh-t.

Eh, they are correct a good bit, but they have their misses too.  They said we were 100% out of the Watson sweepstakes when it was down to 4 teams, even before Cleveland got ax...supposedly.  A few days later we got eliminated only for Watson to 'back' to Cleveland.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Eh, they are correct a good bit, but they have their misses too.  They said we were 100% out of the Watson sweepstakes when it was down to 4 teams, even before Cleveland got ax...supposedly.  A few days later we got eliminated only for Watson to 'back' to Cleveland.

The stuff they get correct is copied from other sites without attribution (they've been called out for that by the actual sources more than once).

They mix that in with their own made up sh-t in order to appear legitimate.

• Pie 1

IF Cam plays for the Panthers this year, I'll go on record that either he or CMC will be Comeback POY.

I say this in the context of the sweeping changes that have already been made to improve our Offense -- all of which would greatly benefit each of these much maligned superstars.

So many Huddlers wanted CMC traded ("injury prone and undependable because of it") and Cam avoided ("washed up, no arm, one-trick pony, easily defensed")

But those ways of thinking are recency-biased.

The addition of more than competent coaches (OC and OL) -- as opposed to the incompetentcy that both Cam and CMC had to abide, and the acquisition of a G and C that can actually run-block and protect -- these are sea changes that make the past record irrelevant.  Last year, we had an OL of rag-tag losers imitating turnstiles, and coaches who showed no imagination in play-calling.  As I see it, even having a C whose default move isn't 6 yds backwards would probably result in 10-14 more points a game.

I'm sure even Darnold would show improvement behind our revamped OL (and it's not done yet -- a LT is coming, either from FA or the draft); but Cam would, IMO, have a much higher upside.  I fervently hope he gets the chance, and accepts it.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, bigdavis said:

IF Cam plays for the Panthers this year, I'll go on record that either he or CMC will be Comeback POY.

I say this in the context of the sweeping changes that have already been made to improve our Offense -- all of which would greatly benefit each of these much maligned superstars.

So many Huddlers wanted CMC traded ("injury prone and undependable because of it") and Cam avoided ("washed up, no arm, one-trick pony, easily defensed")

But those ways of thinking are recency-biased.

The addition of more than competent coaches (OC and OL) -- as opposed to the incompetentcy that both Cam and CMC had to abide, and the acquisition of a G and C that can actually run-block and protect -- these are sea changes that make the past record irrelevant.  Last year, we had an OL of rag-tag losers imitating turnstiles, and coaches who showed no imagination in play-calling.  As I see it, even having a C whose default move isn't 6 yds backwards would probably result in 10-14 more points a game.

I'm sure even Darnold would show improvement behind our revamped OL (and it's not done yet -- a LT is coming, either from FA or the draft); but Cam would, IMO, have a much higher upside.  I fervently hope he gets the chance, and accepts it.

The Office Lol GIF

• Poo 1