• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik Willis Pro Day

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think Willis is going to be that good, but in general I'd be okay with the idea of taking a quarterback to develop. Rookies waiting a year or so before starting has always been my preference.

The problem with that this year is you have a head coach who needs to win now to save his job.

So while you or I might be okay with the idea, Matt Rhule is likely to feel different.

Good thing tepper has shown he knows the value of a franchise qb and probably wouldn't allow rhule a lame duck coach to just throw away the franchises shot at a franchise qb. I think Willis has all the ability and intelligence to be good. I am of the same mindset as Ellis.. you able on physical specimens and upside. 

Give me the things that can't be taught and we will figure out what can be. Guys that grade our as the 5 star recruits out of high-school the ones that from day one have be pegged as first round talents usually have a higher chance at fulfilling their promise.

The problem with doing it the other way is those other traits are harder to quantify. You can't spot the next brady or even point out what makes him so unique. He just has it..  but you can see Cam Newton, lebron James guys that just are freaks coming before they get here. 

3 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

He’s definitely my pick. I still don’t really love taking him at 6 but if we go QB at 6 then I hope Corral is the guy.

More upside than Pickett for sure. Hopefully he can put on a few more pounds if he's gonna be running into contact like his college days

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

In your opinion,  how do the steelers move to 2 from 20?  I aint seeing it.

I have no idea but if they do intend on making an Eagles like splash then that would mean a lot of picks I'd imagine. Unless they want Pickett and only have to jump us. Giants would like to do a deal too. Or they don't believe the Lions want him, we will draft Pickett and then they only have to jump the Seahawks. I personally think they'll wait till teens before making any moves for a QB. Willis may be there later. Let's see what Corral does and who's there. 

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

Good thing tepper has shown he knows the value of a franchise qb and probably wouldn't allow rhule a lame duck coach to just throw away the franchises shot at a franchise qb. I think Willis has all the ability and intelligence to be good. I am of the same mindset as Ellis.. you able on physical specimens and upside. 

Give me the things that can't be taught and we will figure out what can be. Guys that grade our as the 5 star recruits out of high-school the ones that from day one have be pegged as first round talents usually have a higher chance at fulfilling their promise.

The problem with doing it the other way is those other traits are harder to quantify. You can't spot the next brady or even point out what makes him so unique. He just has it..  but you can see Cam Newton, lebron James guys that just are freaks coming before they get here. 

FYI: Tepper is reported to be a big fan of Kenny Pickett (ties to Pitt and all)

As to the approach, I've seen it not work out as often as I've seen it work.

Basically, if guys can't read and process on some level by the time they get to the college game, they're probably not going to do it in the NFL.

Willis? The near universal school of thought on him is that he might be able to do it given a year or two, but he's not ready yet.

I'd add though that having watched Willis play against decent competition, I think his physical skills are somewhat overrated.

I see people making comparisons to guys like Newton, Wilson, etc. But the reality is all of those guys were far superior athletes to Willis, and they approved it against greater competition.

Sorry dude. I just don't see it. Ditto all the others for various reasons.

I want a tackle.

• Pie 1

Good stuff from the athletic in regards to det

"

The perceived issues in Willis’ game could take a minute to clean up. His accuracy is tops on that list, as Willis himself noted at the combine. His completion percentage dipped to 61.1 last season and he threw 12 picks. “(I’m) trying to be as consistent as I can with my base,” Willis said. “That’s where some of the flaws in my game come from, maybe some of the inaccuracies.”

Whether that’s a fixable issue at the next level depends on whom you ask. Some NFL coaches and scouts will tell you that Willis’ game can be cleaned up — again, draft-and-develop — and that better technique will dial in his throws. From others, you’ll hear that quarterbacks who have accuracy issues in college tend to be permanent concerns. Are there exceptions? Sure. Look at Josh Allen. In general, though, folks on this side of the fence will note how challenging it is to craft a pinpoint passer.

The Lions’ approach everywhere else would suggest they’d argue for the former, more patient route. Brunell, for what it’s worth, was a 52 percent career passer in college and at 59.5 percent as a three-time All-Pro in the NFL.

He also was a fifth-round pick. The last thing the Lions want to do is talk themselves into the idea of a quarterback at No. 2."

https://theathletic.com/3202872/2022/03/22/is-malik-willis-becoming-a-draft-reality-for-the-lions-why-it-makes-sense-and-why-it-doesnt/

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Basically, if guys can't read and process on some level by the time they get to the college game, they're probably not going to do it in the NFL.

Willis? The near universal school of thought on him is that he might be able to do it given a year or two, but he's not ready yet.

I'd add though that having watched Willis play against decent competition, I think his physical skills are somewhat overrated.

I see people making comparisons to guys like Newton, Wilson, etc. But the reality is all of those guys were far superior athletes to Willis, and they approved it against greater competition.

I want a tackle.

Lol you think Wilson is “Far superior” athletically than Willis????

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I want a tackle.

And you could be absolutely right. My line of thinking is it isn't fair to judge a guy playing with a over-matched team like liberty vs say a sec power like Ole miss. It's the reason darnold looked good vs say the Texans and had us believing we were a playoff team vs when things really hit the fan.

I think that's why you evaluate traits.. like what can a guy do.. what is his ability vs just what you see on the tape. It's why some people daw Josh Allen coming and others couldn't. Not saying Willis is Allen...

This is just the way i look at players not just qbs. What can they do. If operating in a perfect scenario what is their ceiling? What do they excel at?Then based off that you try to put them in a position to win.

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

And you could be absolutely right. My line of thinking is it isn't fair to judge a guy playing with a over-matched team like liberty vs say a sec power like Ole miss. It's the reason darnold looked good vs say the Texans and had us believing we were a playoff team vs when things really hit the fan.

I think that's why you evaluate traits.. like what can a guy do.. what is his ability vs just what you see on the tape. It's why some people daw Josh Allen coming and others couldn't. Not saying Willis is Allen...

This is just the way i look at players not just qbs. What can they do. If operating in a perfect scenario what is their ceiling? What do they excel at?Then based off that you try to put them in a position to win.

I'd agree. I just don't think his traits are gonna be special at the NFL level.

Shame too. He comes across as a great kid, absolutely the kind of guy you'd love to cheer for (basically the anti-Watson).

If we take him, I'll definitely hope for the best as I have with every quarterback from Clausen to Darnold. I just have my doubts.

• Pie 2

There are so many scouts and front office types that are stuck in the Stone Age. Modern technology allows these guys to analyze and attempt to fix any holes in their game quickly. Josh Allen’s accuracy issue was basically fixed with digital mapping of his throwing motion. If Willis wants to improve and puts in the work he’ll be able to. Nothing will make picketts hands bigger tho 🤷‍♂️

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1