• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rumor: Garoppolo could be flat out cut.

hepcat

10 minutes ago, poundaway said:

That is a perfect example of a team, who didn't need to tank in order to get their QB and win a SB.

This mentality of: tank for a QB, lose now, and get a third HC in 4 years, is a strategy that will keep us in the NFL basement.

They also have coaching several levels better than what Carolina has and still couldn't get it done. Plus, while they didn't tank they did sell the farm for Lance so they did make effectively the same type of QB decision, just arrived there via a different route.

I'm not personally suggesting that the team attempt to tank and I never have. Just pointing out that Shanahan is also of the mind that Jimmy ain't it, and if he feels he can't get there with Garoppolo than I don't know what Rhule and co are going to achieve with him. IMO there's no real upside in adding Garoppolo.

Edited by KSpan

6 minutes ago, pantherj said:

The 2022 season is lost. We're not doing anything in 2022, and Jimmy G wouldn't change that. A washed up, injured, "never was" type QB would only hurt our team in the long run.

The best thing that can happen now is to lose a lot of games, and draft a top 2023 QB prospect. The terrible Jimmy Clausen season led to Cam Newton in the draft. The terrible Sam Darnold season can do exactly the same thing to set us up at QB for over a decade.

The NFL is designed to help teams that have dumb GMs, but we have to get out of our own way. QBs are being handed to us in the draft, and we're passing on them (Fields) for poop awful horrible nightmare bad QBs in free agency. THAT HAS TO STOP. Fitt, who is certainly dumber than most people on the Huddle, needs to get out of his own way. Let the NFL help you Fitt. Stop making so many moves, and take what falls into your lap for losing and being an idiot.

Yeah but we’re taking a qb this year so it doesn’t matter about 23 right? 

There is no such thing as tanking. All players, coaches, and management try to win as though their job is on the line.

What you don't want your GM doing is taking bad situation and upcoming season and making things much worse. Bringing in a mediocre QB when you're in panic mode makes the situation worse.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, hepcat said:

Everyone saying “not interested” must be down with seeing Sam Darnold lose double digit games again, or overdraft a Teddy Bridgewater clone because the coach recruited him out of high school.

Yea we don’t want to sign a guy who has played in the Super Bowl and was in the NFC Championship last year. Nah. Let’s not even consider it. Even if he was a reasonable contract and not giving up any assets to do it. Wow what a horrible idea that would be. I’d much rather have Sam Darnold!!!! Because I like rooting for losers.

This place is straight up stupid a lot of the times.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah but we’re taking a qb this year so it doesn’t matter about 23 right? 

I don't think we're taking at QB in this draft.

Here is what I think will happen if we're smart:

There is no QB worthy of the 6th pick in this draft. We might have 1st round grades on 3 QBs, but that doesn't mean we'll be in position to draft them at the bottom of the first. I don't think they are anywhere near the top half of the draft in talent. So Fitt might panic and try to trade down, but I don't think we'll find a partner offering equal points. That's perfect. So we take a top LT and plan for the future with a 2023 QB.

• Beer 2

10 minutes ago, pantherj said:

There is no QB worthy of the 6th pick in this draft. We might have 1st round grades on 3 QBs, but that doesn't mean we'll be in position to draft them at the bottom of the first. I don't think they are anywhere near the top half of the draft in talent. So Fitt might panic and try to trade down, but I don't think we'll find a partner offering equal points. That's perfect. So we take a top LT and plan for the future with a 2023 QB.

Nothing about this team is smart, so I fully expect a meltdown on here come draft day.

• Beer 2

27 minutes ago, KSpan said:

IMO there's no real upside in adding Garoppolo.

You aren't arguing that Garoppolo is the same as Darnold, are you?

Garaoppolo is a very good QB.  Yes his post season hasn't been awesome, but he has been QB in the big game.  That superbowl loss wasn't all on Jimmy either.   Shanahan burned a minute off the clock before deciding to run a 2 min drill before the half.    The reffing was ass too.   The Kittle PI was BS, Williams clearly stepped out of bounds on that TD and then there's the missed delay of game call.

The up side with JimmyG is we win games. 

Edited by poundaway
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, pantherj said:

There is no such thing as tanking. All players, coaches, and management try to win as though their job is on the line.

What you don't want your GM doing is taking bad situation and upcoming season and making things much worse. Bringing in a mediocre QB when you're in panic mode makes the situation worse.

Exactly this. I said in another post that I'm not averse to it, but only if the cost is right.

10 minutes ago, poundaway said:

You aren't arguing that Garoppolo is the same as Darnold, are you?

Garaoppolo is a very good QB.  Yes his post season hasn't been awesome, but he has been QB in the big game.  That superbowl loss wasn't all on Jimmy either.   Shanahan burned a minute off the clock before deciding to run a 2 min drill before the half.    The reffing was ass too.   The Kittle PI was BS, Williams clearly stepped out of bounds on that TD and then there's the missed delay of game call.

The up side with JimmyG is we win games. 

I'm not arguing that at all. I am saying that investing further capital into a player like Jimmy is pointless for the greater goal of actually winning a Super Bowl, as much for his own limitations as for a complete lack of faith in Rhule, so it shouldn't be done at the cost of any future assets. We've seen what a Jimmy-led team can do with actual NFL-caliber coaching and team construction and even that team didn't/doesn't think it was good enough, so why should Carolina?

I'm not even claiming it's a slam dunk that Lance will be markedly better, simply saying that SF clearly doesn't believe Jimmy has what it takes to keep the team competitive against the best competition. I don't care if he's good enough to win a couple of games next year in Carolina - that's not the goal. The goal is to consistently win games year in and year out, and spending draft capital and/or making a big investment on Garoppolo is penny wise and pound foolish.

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:
18 hours ago, hepcat said:

Everyone saying “not interested” must be down with seeing Sam Darnold lose double digit games again, or overdraft a Teddy Bridgewater clone because the coach recruited him out of high school.

Yea we don’t want to sign a guy who has played in the Super Bowl and was in the NFC Championship last year. Nah. Let’s not even consider it. Even if he was a reasonable contract and not giving up any assets to do it. Wow what a horrible idea that would be. I’d much rather have Sam Darnold!!!! Because I like rooting for losers.

This place is straight up stupid a lot of the times.

💥👊

• Poo 1

3 hours ago, pantherj said:

I am down for them failing miserably and accidentally having to make a smart choice. Sign me up for that plan.