• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers terminating Rock Hill project agreements

Dorian Gray

55 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

what a tough situation to judge... one hand you have a bullhorned billionaire, and the other shitty polticians. First one to leak the contract might be the winner of public opinion....

Any Rock Hill citizens on here with a close opinion to this? After all your voice does matter in this situation. 

I live in RH and this whole thing has seemed fishy since the beginning. The agreement was made really quickly, which is weird when a city wants to pony up $225 million, especially a city of RH's size.  From what I've read just last night from RH's release which was posted earlier here, RH had an 'out' to not provide the funds if a 'reasonable' effort to obtain the bonds was made.  I don't think all the information is out there, so it's hard to decide who's to blame.  In my opinion, this is a complex situation and I'm sure both sides might share fault.  We'll see....

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

18 hours ago, CRA said:

I don't know.  We barely know anything at this point.  That's my point.    

So until we know more, both sides are at fault.  We just don't know to what extent each side is to blame for. 

I got little use for the politican or the mega wealthy in this context.   Those two dancing are always a problem. 

So what does "society need to hold him accountable" for?  I don't understand?

So far, the only folks who should be held accountable, are the politicians who wanted to play footsie with a shrewd billionaire.  Again, we know Tepper is a piece of garbage, why did the town want to play ball with him?

23 hours ago, travisura said:

Just build it in Charlotte. This whole "two states one team" thing is crap. South Carolinians generally don't give a sh-t about the Panthers.

Speak for yourself.....  I live in Charleston, have been a fan of the Panthers since they became an NFL team and I have many friends in the area that are Panthers fans as well....  

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, CardiacCat said:

Speak for yourself.....  I live in Charleston, have been a fan of the Panthers since they became an NFL team and I have many friends in the area that are Panthers fans as well....  

That’s because charleston is one of the few areas in Sawkerraliner that isn’t a cesspool. Seriously the Panthers need to drop the “2 states one team” thing 

• Poo 2

26 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

So what does "society need to hold him accountable" for?  I don't understand?

So far, the only folks who should be held accountable, are the politicians who wanted to play footsie with a shrewd billionaire.  Again, we know Tepper is a piece of garbage, why did the town want to play ball with him?

Politcians and the uber wealthy just straight up stealing money.  It's kind of a thing.   Both should be called out.  That's what they do.  I got no use for the couple folks acting like Tepper is being done wrong.   Tepper intentionally came to steal money with the aid of politicans, intentionally got into a deal w/ a city that he knew would struggle, and appears to go about business in a very horrible and dysfuncitonal manner

This whole scam for Tepper started at the state house with the Governor and folks in Columbia.   Society holding people accountable would be acknowledging what Tepper was doing in the first place and shutting him down.   Same for all the others like him.  They are all one sided deals for the uber wealthy at the expense of taxpayers. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Nonsense. 

He liked the 1st deal...but Rock Hill didn't follow through on their obligations. 

You completely misunderstood @razorwolf's insightful and accurate post.  

Sounds just as likely Tepper wasn't following through with all his obligations either.  That's the claim.  And it's one Tepper refeuses to address.  Well, he refuses to address any question that gets directed toward Tepper Sports. 

• Poo 1

Some updates: York county is not happy with Rock Hill right now.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/04/19/carolina-panthers-hq-rock-hill-agreement-end-new.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_CH&csrc=6398&taid=625fbd8a2d4cd2000124ad30&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

York County Council member William "Bump" Roddey told the Charlotte Business Journaltoday he hopes the county can execute a new financing deal directly with the Panthers. The team and city are in a dispute over $225 million of bonds that have not yet been issued to cover infrastructure costs for the project. That dispute led the team to announce on March 7 that it was pausing the project.

"The 'other (interested parties)' has to be York County," Roddey said. "By them terminating this agreement, it definitely opens the door for them to sit down with York County and work this out with us and solely with us because there is no longer an agreement with the city of Rock Hill. We couldn't have done anything unless we had permission or consent from Rock Hill because this is Rock Hill's agreement."

Roddey accused the city of "basically lying" and being "very misleading" about being in compliance with the financing agreement. He added he had not heard directly from the Panthers about working out a new deal. Roddey thinks a deal can be made with the county if the team pursues one. That option could include tweaking the alternative financing offer from last month or making a new agreement.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

23 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

IMO the same aggressiveness and cunning that made Tepper his billions is serving him poorly as an NFL owner. While the former is necessary, so is patience and I’m thinking this is Tepper’s Achilles’ heel at times. In hindsight, it may have been better to wait until he fielded a better product before taking on this ambitious project. And we all know about the QB dilemma.

I’ve heard it takes a few years for new NFL owners to really get things figured out. If this is true, buckle up ‘cause it’s going to be a bumpy ride from the looks of it.

It takes a lot of luck as well to build a state of the art facility while simultaneously having massive fan support that lights a fire under the asses of the local city council or county board that has heavy influence on a projects viability. The bureaucracy for a project of that scale takes years to cut through.

You almost have to be in the middle of a dynasty with max fan support like the Warriors had when they built Chase Center, in order for these things to go off without a hitch. 

19 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

That was total BS…

…he learned a lesson and didn’t make the same mistake twice.  

I bump into him now and then and will ask him about Tepper/stadium straight out if our paths cross anytime soon.

And he will say.  "I pay you to carry my golf clubs.  Now shut up and do your job!"

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Politcians and the uber wealthy just straight up stealing money.  It's kind of a thing.   Both should be called out.  That's what they do.  I got no use for the couple folks acting like Tepper is being done wrong.   Tepper intentionally came to steal money with the aid of politicans, intentionally got into a deal w/ a city that he knew would struggle, and appears to go about business in a very horrible and dysfuncitonal manner

This whole scam for Tepper started at the state house with the Governor and folks in Columbia.   Society holding people accountable would be acknowledging what Tepper was doing in the first place and shutting him down.   Same for all the others like him.  They are all one sided deals for the uber wealthy at the expense of taxpayers. 

Tepper was following a well worn path, as were the politicians.

Both sides know it's not well received by the taxpayers, and neither care.  One holds a responsibility to the populace, the other does not.

Politicians have a REAL hard time saying no, and voters have no problem putting these losers into office time and again, only to further waste the taxpayer money.  I have had an issue with this for as long as it's been happening, have always said...just say no.

• Beer 2