• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chinn to stay at safety...

Mr. Scot

19 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Can you name one impact play he made off the top of your head from last year? As compared to his rookie year, where he had 2 TDs vs Minnesota by being right around the ball and LOS along with consistently getting stops at that level? Not all stats are created equal, and that's the role people want to see him in instead of being way downfield. Maybe that's what they mean by safety, but as they used him last year he seemed basically invisible.

Of course a defensive player scoring two TDs on back-to-back plays is memorable, it rarely happens! That can't be the standard as that simply isn't something that you see... well.. ever. I mean, it accounted for both of his forced fumbles and fumble recoveries for the season. That alone attests to the rarity.

fwiw, his INT vs. Buffalo last year was an impact play and memorable (for me at least). It led to the first scoring drive for the Panthers just before the end of the half when they were down 14-0. Team still got the dog poo beat out of them, but for a moment Jeremy gave us hope. 😧

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Icege said:

Of course a defensive player scoring two TDs on back-to-back plays is memorable, it rarely happens! That can't be the standard as that simply isn't something that you see... well.. ever. I mean, it accounted for both of his forced fumbles and fumble recoveries for the season. That alone attests to the rarity.

fwiw, his INT vs. Buffalo last year was an impact play and memorable (for me at least). It led to the first scoring drive for the Panthers just before the end of the half when they were down 14-0. Team still got the dog poo beat out of them, but for a moment Jeremy gave us hope. 😧

Right. I'm not saying that he should be scoring TDs all the time but more that he was around the ball and made things happen. That just wasn't the case last year in the role he was in, even if the stats appear about equal.

The way I look at it is this - how easy would it be to find a player that puts the kind of production out there that he did? I feel like it's much easier to find a full-time safety that just mans the position vs finding a dynamic playmaker around the ball. Luke and Beason were both above average MLBs, but putting them at MLB unlocked those natural instincts and abilities. I feel like it's that type of situation with Chinn. 

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, Icege said:

In Chinn's rookie season when he lined up at LB often, he had:

• 1 interception
  • 5 pass deflections
  • 2 forced fumbles
  • 2 fumble recoveries
  • 1 sack
  • 5 QB hits
  • 117 combined tackles (68 solo, 49 assists)
  • 2 tackles for loss

In his sophomore season at safety:

• 1 interception
  • 5 pass deflections
  • 1 forced fumbles
  • 1 fumble recoveries
  • 1 sack
  • 5 QB hits
  • 107 combined tackles (75 solo, 32 assists)
  • 6 tackles for loss

After being moved 10yds further away from the line of scrimmage, Jeremy Chinn had only 10 less tackles (but 7 more solo tackles), 1 less fumble recovery, 1 less forced fumble, and 4 more tackles for loss.

I get that folks love their highlight reels, but how can anybody be claiming that he "disappeared" when the stats clearly show otherwise? Hell, he improved his TFLs while being 10yds further away from the line of scrimmage! 😮

Thank you for laying that out.  I don't know why it felt like he was much more active as a rookie.  I think I paid more attention to the games than I did last year and that is probably a large part of it.  Toward the end of the season I had the game on in the background while I did other things 😞

• Beer 2

It didn’t take long for new defensive backs coach Steve Wilks to identify what to do with safety Jeremy Chinn. “Coach (Wilks) we came in. And I said, ‘Steve, I want you to watch Jeremy and tell me what you think,” ’ Panthers defensive coordinator Phil Snow said. “And he said, ‘Coach, I think he can be an all-pro safety.’ ”

“If we just settled him at the safety position, all the different stuff we do with the safeties, he’s gonna be a really, really effective and a great Panther back there,” Snow said. “So I’m excited about Jeremy staying back there.”

Chinn was near the line of scrimmage a lot more in 2021 than his rookie season. According to Pro Football Focus, Chinn aligned in the box or on the defensive line 153 more times last season versus 2020. He’s effective anywhere, but focusing on playing safety should simplify his workload. Last season, coach Matt Rhule said Chinn had to know “five or six different positions each week.” That explains how much Chinn had to know playing in Snow’s complex, multilayered scheme. Expect Chinn to still roam all over the field but that’s more of a testament to Snow’s effective safety deployment than it is Chinn still playing some linebacker.

Snow also spoke highly of other newcomers Cory Littleton and Xavier Woods. He said Littleton can run and can match up against tight ends while Woods will pair well with Chinn.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article260572752.html#storylink=cpy

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, KSpan said:

Can you name one impact play he made off the top of your head from last year? As compared to his rookie year, where he had 2 TDs vs Minnesota by being right around the ball and LOS along with consistently getting stops at that level? Not all stats are created equal, and that's the role people want to see him in instead of being way downfield. Maybe that's what they mean by safety, but as they used him last year he seemed basically invisible.

That is my point exactly, you are rating entire seasons off of 2 splash plays you happened to see in tv.

What about the other 900 snaps? 

Recovering fumbles and returning them for TDS are freak plays. He might go an entire career without getting another one regardless of hat position he plays.

Outside of those plays his stats were very close. If he was invisible to anyone it’s just because they were not watching.

Just now, AU-panther said:

That is my point exactly, you are rating entire seasons off of 2 splash plays you happened to see in tv.

What about the other 900 snaps? 

Recovering fumbles and returning them for TDS are freak plays. He might go an entire career without getting another one regardless of hat position he plays.

Outside of those plays his stats were very close. If he was invisible to anyone it’s just because they were not watching.

No, I'm not, which I noted in the follow-up post. Not all stats are created equal and Chinn was pretty much invisible last year, which was a stark contrast to his impactful rookie year regardless of stats being similar. That's the reality.

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

No, I'm not, which I noted in the follow-up post. Not all stats are created equal and Chinn was pretty much invisible last year, which was a stark contrast to his impactful rookie year regardless of stats being similar. That's the reality.

Oustside of two freak plays what else did he do so much better in his rookie season? 

17 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Oustside of two freak plays what else did he do so much better in his rookie season? 

I think people were just more excited because he was a 2nd round rookie who was starting/playing well and expected another leap the following year.  The safety position is one that could be a good thing if you aren't noticing them (especially in coverage).  

Y'all know he was a safety right?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jeremy-chinn/32004348-4965-0621-179b-1e6fa9b75e74

Also..

—Ideal size (6'3", 221 lbs) to cover tight ends in the NFL; could play some linebacker.

—Comes from a two-high safety defense with experience playing both deep and box safety. 

—Versatility to play both safety positions and slot corner; showed exceptional feet and cover ability at the Senior Bowl. 

—Comes down hill like a linebacker with the speed of a corner; doesn't miss tackles in space.

—Can click-and-close to break up passes and make tackles. 

Dude's a hybrid, but safety is what he primarily played in college. I'm not surprised that coaches want a safety to play safety. I get he was great as a LB and constantly made splash plays, but I thought he was at LB out of necessity. I don't think that was ever the plan long term. Not my impression anyway.

• Pie 4

I look at his speed, athletic ability,  and it screams DB, not LB. 

He was able to play a joker role for us extremely well his rookie season. 

I completely understand why they want this kid in the defensive backfield, especially with his football smarts.  

They definitely should not.move him back to the joker roll, unless they have given up on developing him as a defensive back. I'd hate to see that, because he could end up being the best to play the position in the history of the franchise. 

• Beer 1

Chinn just needs to be on the field. Once the game becomes slower, he should be a legit game-changer. He needs to be able to have freedom, like a queen on the chess board. Love for him to reach out to Troy polamalu and have a few hours long film deals. I bet Troy would love to do it as well.