• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say we roll with Darnold

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not gonna happen. These guys are desperately trying to save their jobs and they know damn well that Sam Darnold ain't gonna do it.

What's the difference between "desperately trying to save their jobs" and "trying to win NFL games"?

Asking for a friend.

• Beer 2

You let him walk.  One good season out of 5 doesn't warrant that kind of raise.  You thank him for his services and roll with your new guy. We have another qb on the roster in this dream scenario you are going with right? Because if you go into this season with only Sam as your only half assed option then you deserve whatever befalls you.

• Pie 3

49 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I know most of you, including myself, want a new QB.

What if we decide to take an OT at 6 and don't pull the trigger on Jimmy G or Baker.   We go into the season with Sam Darnold as our starting QB.

Our line is going to be much much better with the players we have now compared to last season and they are under new management from Campen.  We have the weapons to make some noise offensively.  

What do we do if Sam has a good year?  What if McAdoo gets out of him what Brady couldn't? 

Say we make the playoffs as a wild card team and we are picking in the bottom half of the 2023 draft.  

Do you resign Darnold or let him walk and get the compensation pick for him.  Do we resign him for a mid-level QB contract.  Do we target a free agent QB?

If Darnold plays well this forum is going to have a field day on what to do next year.  We'd be out of the top 10 in the draft.  Probably too far down to get a 2023 rookie.   

Thoughts?

You don't have to worry about Sam having a good year any more than you should worry about lizard people emerging from the shadows and conquering mankind.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

46 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

What's the difference between "desperately trying to save their jobs" and "trying to win NFL games"?

Asking for a friend.

One is very short sighted like trading away future picks for picks/players now ruining the future salary cap to try to get immediate help. If you are trying to build a winning team the right way you won’t have to worry about trying to save your job IMO. That’s just how I viewed it. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not gonna happen. These guys are desperately trying to save their jobs and they know damn well that Sam Darnold ain't gonna do it.

There is not a rookie who can come in and be a savior and no way this team should be giving up picks for Jimmy or Baker. If there is a sensible trade down do it....but FIX THE OLINE 1ST. Then maybe grab a QB who will sit the 1st year.  With a good Oline, Sam will likely have a better year.  He won't set any records, except maybe break his personal bests.  Rhule is done (unless Sam channels TB which is not going to happen).  I just hope Tepper prevents him from mortgaging the future to make more dumb decisions.  The next HC is on the roster Wilks or McAdoo. (Interim)

• Pie 6

2 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

There is not a rookie who can come in and be a savior and no way this team should be giving up picks for Jimmy or Baker. If there is a sensible trade down do it....but FIX THE OLINE 1ST. Then maybe grab a QB who will sit the 1st year.  With a good Oline, Sam will likely have a better year.  He won't set any records, except maybe break his personal bests.  Rhule is done (unless Sam channels TB which is not going to happen).  I just hope Tepper prevents him from mortgaging the future to make more dumb decisions.  The next HC is on the roster Wilks or McAdoo. (Interim)

Fitterer is gonna be pushing QB too. I think Rhule will be pushing for another cast off vet while Fitts will be pushing for a rookie via the draft. We'll see who wins out.