• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What I took from the Fitterer presser.

Zod

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

In on every deal meant "was a sucker time and time again" last year. I don't get the feeling they've gotten better.

Wouldn't say that because at the time they seemed like good moves. Nobody draft haul last year. Marshall was suppose to be a steal. The trade Gilmore was actually worth it. CJ Henderson was a first round pick and you got him for a 3rd looked decent at the time. Hell early in the season Sam even looked like good value. 

Just because the execution didn't workout(rhule) doesn't mean the deal itself was bad. 

Edited by micnificent28
  • Pie 1

27 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Wouldn't say that because at the time they seemed like good moves. Nobody draft haul last year. Marshall was suppose to be a steal. The trade Gilmore was actually worth it. CJ Henderson was a first round pick and you got him for a 3rd looked decent at the time. Hell early in the season Sam even looked like good value. 

Just because the execution didn't workout(rhule) doesn't mean the deal itself was bad. 

You can’t divorce the execution from the deal. The execution is an important component of the deal, and probably why people make certain deals. If you can’t execute properly then it was not a deal you should have been making.

There is no way we get 2 First Round Picks  for our 6th .  
Hopefully some team will see a player at 6 that they really want.. give us their first in the 10-20 range..  and a 2nd this season and maybe a 2nd next season.  But not two 1st based on "current"  knowledge of this draft class. 

If we use our own 6th pick, I hope we take a left tackle & one of the remaining QB's  in the 2-4th round ( by trading away more of our future picks or trading one of our long snappers LOL )

Totally agree. We tried too hard in the offseason to convince people that we're taking a QB at 6. A stout OT should be there. I'd be surprised if we could find a trade partner. Fitt likes to look like a gun slinging GM... but he's looking real clownish for the draft / trades we made last year. (Im so excited to see our long snapper take the field this year.) 

I wish we had the balls to take a swing at QB at #6. But this organization has only shown that they are competent at being incompetent. 

• Pie 1

I think that people buy into media-driven narratives too much. Players surprise and players bust from every draft class (and that includes QBs). Scouts are wrong and right every year, and so is everyone else. I don't think that you'll necessarily come to the correct answers if all you do is listen and parrot what scouts are saying, much less talking-heads.

In our case, people must remember that OTs bust too.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 5

1 hour ago, micnificent28 said:

Now, do we judge the quality of our pickers by their intent or the results of what they did?

The Gilmore trade lost us a pick and got us nothing in return. He did fairly well in some games that we didn't win and wouldn't have without him either. That's a wash. CJ Henderson was invisible, but not in the useful superpowers kind of way. 

Marshall was really nothing special and didn't see the field much or was just out there being the 11t dude. BC sat on the bench for most of the year and played meh when he saw the field (although meh is an improvement over what we had been doing).

Darnold was either really bad or poorly supported, probably both. And that cost us picks. 

We drafted a long snapper who couldn't win the job over a retired JJ Jansen and ended up being put on phantom IR before the season started. 

Jaycee Horn looked better than the other DBs we fielded, until he got hurt. Like I've said before, he was the tallest dandelion on a field ready to be mowed. The injury gives this one an incomplete grade at best.

Tremble, Nixon, Hubbard, Hoskins all saw some playing time. They looked good, in comparison to their counterparts on the Panthers at times. Cs and Bs, but there's some hope that with good coaching maybe they will play out. Otherwise, they are just roster fillers, maybe role players. 

Deonte Brown didn't have the conditioning to be an offensive guard. 

Shi Smith went from preseason IR to late season bench sitter. Underwhelming on the field in limited playing time.

Keith Taylor, well, I'm hoping he catches on and develops. He had 3 passes defended on the season, but gave up a 70% completion rate when targeted. If we can get him some NFL-level coaching he might be okay.

Yeah, in the end, that was a lousy effort at team building by Fitterer and Rhule. And this year, they're going into the draft with even fewer resources. I'm hoping there's a mandate from Tepper that they cannot trade away next year's draft picks for ones this year. They cannot be allowed to hamstring the next HC and the franchise because of their poor decision making.

• Pie 3

32 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I think that the goal is to trade down, and always has been, and still get your man. What you have to try and determine is how far you can go before someone else pushes their chips in.

It depends on if they’re really trying to come away from this draft with a starting LT imo. If not, if they’re looking at pass rusher and a QB prospect, we could move back as far as even GB or KC and come away with good value at those picks while getting contributors (starters) this year and also getting a 2023 asset or two. 

If Rodgers pounds on the table for any of the top 4 WRs (probably not Williams), I think GB has to trade up. Not even Olave is guaranteed to be there at 22. 

19 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Horn was on no one’s radar, I never even hear of him till he was drafted, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we draft another CB, Safety or DL. 

Horn was discussed.  I could give more examples, but you get the idea.

• Pie 2