• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corral could've went in the first round to the Steelers

EgoDogg

43 minutes ago, EgoDogg said:

A neat little tidbit was dropped by Rappaport on the Pat McAfee show today. And that's that if Pickett had gone before the Steelers pick in the first round, Matt Corral was on the short group of guys there would take there.

Seems like there are a legitimate amount of actually credible people out there that thought he was worth a first rounder

Link, happens near the very end:

32 teams apparently didn't think he was a 1st rounder. I mean....that literally happened.

Then it happened in another whole round.

So anyone claiming they had a first round grade on Corral, Willis, Howell, etc......they clearly didn't.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 9

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

32 teams apparently didn't think he was a 1st rounder. I mean....that literally happened.

So anyone claiming they had a first round grade on Corral, Willis, Howell, etc......they clearly didn't.

And teams have been wrong a lot. Russell Wilson went in the 3rd round. Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th when he almost went number 1, the examples keep going. Pre draft grades are important but don't determine the final product. 

• Beer 6

27 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Teams have first round grades on multiple players. They have to decide for one when it’s their turn.

• Pie 8

10 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Weird posting the last bit of this and not mentioning the first 5 minutes were Rapoport getting hounded on his live draft reaction of Corral. 

Yeah.  Rappaport giving all the excuses for why he dumped on Corral during draft night...my producer made me do it.  Whatever.  You did your job, don't apologize, we know the press likes to  make a story.

If we had a 2nd, we would have picked him with the second, hands down.  Is Corral a better player now that he's drafted in the 2nd.  No. 

In the end, the only way to grade a player is by how he plays after he's drafted.   I look forward to watching that.

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, 32 teams don't need a QB now do they? Also that logic works both ways. Dudes that were taken 1st and didn't pan out for nothing? Uh...clearly they didn't know the fug they were doing taking them that high. lol

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, XClown1986 said:

And teams have been wrong a lot. Russell Wilson went in the 3rd round. Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th when he almost went number 1, the examples keep going. Pre draft grades are important but don't determine the final product. 

I can understand if you want to lean on the "outlier" hope but the idea that teams had first round grades on guys that went in the 3rd-5th is fuging ludicrous.

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

QB is a dart throw it’s what you don’t see on tape that determines if they’re a success or not 

Sometimes even the tape lies. Unless you are there day in and day out with each of these players, you don't really know what they are made of. And you don't know how they are going to respond when the bullets start flying.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

48 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Well, 32 teams don't need a QB now do they? Also that logic works both ways. Dudes that were taken 1st and didn't pan out for nothing? Uh...clearly they didn't know the fug they were doing taking them that high. lol

Yeah. So "some teams are dumb" is your counter?

Listen, I know hope is springing eternal(like it always is after the draft) but we need to be realistic about our 3rd round QB. If we are trying to hype him like he is the next Russell Wilson because he is a 3rd round draft pick....that's not likely to end well.

Don't get me wrong, if there is a franchise that could use a good outlier home run, it's ours. But if you start pinning your hopes on outliers.....well.....that doesn't usually end well. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

FWIW:

There have been 27 quarterbacks selected in the third round in the past 20 years, and most of them weren’t successful in the NFL. By my standards, only one developed into a star, while four were better than average and had good careers. Thirteen had unmemorable careers, and the other nine fall somewhere in between. I divided the picks into five separate tiers. If history is any indication, Rudolph is going to have to beat the odds to be successful in the NFL.”

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/a-look-at-the-success-and-struggles-of-third-round-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl/

• Beer 3
  • Poo 1