• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking back would you rather have Watson and a vet LT or Icky/Corral

2 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

He's a college junior that ran an RPO offense. He is simply not ready to be thrust in an NFL game day 1. 

Cam started. Isn't that what training camp is for? He's the best QB on the team right now.

Sam is a vet, yes we know that, and we wish we could unknow that.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Given that we spent pick 6, a 2023 3rd and pick 137 for Iky and Corral at a reasonable cap value for 4 years, I’d rather have that. Now, if Corral isn’t good, we would have done better with Watson. That said we would have given up pick 6 and likely two more top 15 picks plus others and maybe players as well as spent probably $120M in cap over 4 year. I’d take the risk on Corral because if he sucks, our 2023 first is another shot at a pretty cheap QB.

Exactly. Isn't that something we need to know immediately? And IF HE sucks get the reward NEXT draft?

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Given that we spent pick 6, a 2023 3rd and pick 137 for Iky and Corral at a reasonable cap value for 4 years, I’d rather have that. Now, if Corral isn’t good, we would have done better with Watson. That said we would have given up pick 6 and likely two more top 15 picks plus others and maybe players as well as spent probably $120M in cap over 4 year. I’d take the risk on Corral because if he sucks, our 2023 first is another shot at a pretty cheap QB.

Yup.

Give me the two rookies all day.  If we had a loaded roster, or a super top end coaching staff...my choice may be different, but it's not, and we don't....especially if we had to hand over 3 1's or 2 1's and DJ.

This is the smart move for the current state of the franchise.

Plus, I don't care much for men who abuse women...at all.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

Ickey and Corral plus all our other picks and cap space going forward. Watson would've been exciting but this is the better way to build a team, if we can do it well which is somewhat yet to be seen but I trust in Fitterer.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

We’ll know even if he doesn’t start day 1. BC played a lot more than people realize but we didn’t need him to start 17 games to know you don’t pass on Ekwonu. I know you think Corral was QB1 (I saw Howell way more) and a first rounder, he wasn’t and it was a historically poor QB class. If we get a possibility to select the top QB or top 2 QBs in a much better prospect class next year, we may do so even if Corral looks OK.

That's what I would do too. Competition. One becomes trade bait and may fetch a good pick or player in return.

That's "building".

Skill wise its a no brainer that Watson would help us win more games then the 2 rookies. We would instantly become a contender with Watson. 

That said there is ALL the other stuff that comes along with him. Im happy it didnt work out. I would have been conflicted about the team had we signed him. 

Edited by CanadianCat

The Pickett, Willis smokescreen really screwed up the draft in my opinion but it turned out to be a great VALUE draft at QB because of the hype that thrust those two players above the likes of accurate young QBs like Corral and Strong.

Like I said great for us. In reality before the draft NOBODY here thought we'd come out with Icky and Corral. Even I would have called you crazy.

• Pie 1

Getting Watson wasnt' my preferred route. Too much cap hit and too much lost assets/picks. We would have been stuck with an elite QB with no means of supporting him. Wouldn't have the cap to bring in high end vets and wouldn't have the picks to bring in top draft talent.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, Chad_Cota said:

Watson is a top 5 QB in the NFL. This is really not a comparison. 

But just being a top 5 qb doesn't make you a SB contender. Salary cap can negate a lot of the advantages you get. Add in a vet LT and you're likely looking at 55m per year of cap space vs 6m. That's a lot of other places to improve the team. Corral could end up being good as well, just at a much lower price tag, for now. And Watson's career could be over on a bad hit or more legal BS. It's not just about managing talent on the field, you have to manage the whole picture.

• Beer 1