• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cade Mays

ellis

16 hours ago, stbugs said:

Yep, that’s why I almost expect him to get passed by in the LG sweepstakes. I also don’t see Brown in the game. It would shock me if he’s in NFL playing shape.

Yea, I agree.

Brown will likely have an uphill battle to get, and stay on the field.

14 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Wherever they put him on the oline I hope it's Campen who makes that call.

this. rhule needs to keep his greasy opinions on personnel to himself and let the guys who know what they are talking about make the call.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

On 5/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, KillerKat said:

Makes me more infuriated how we took a fuging long snapper over just keeping it simple and drafting an o-lineman like Trey Smith. I can never forgive Rhule for that. It wasn't that hard. It was an obvious choice that could've helped the team. Last year and this year shows that we give Rhule control over late rounds and some UDFAs. 

This seems like a pretty nonsensical take unless you have some data supporting it. In what world is the coach the one wanting to draft a long snapper? The rationale for drafting a long snapper is to cut costs at a position that is not valued. That's definitely a big picture GM type move. Doesn't even make sense that a coach would micromanage a long snapper decision but if so, would almost certainly prefer the solid reliable vet. There's no benefit for a coach to take a worse unproven player. Coaches reluctantly accept moves that make their team worse in the short term; they don't pound the table demanding them. 

• Beer 2

On 5/16/2022 at 6:11 PM, stbugs said:

Yep, that’s why I almost expect him to get passed by in the LG sweepstakes. I also don’t see Brown in the game. It would shock me if he’s in NFL playing shape.

bugs, you got to be feeling this OL, right? Im talking soup to nuts, talent, depth, youth, coach, etc. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, KillerKat said:

Makes me more infuriated how we took a fuging long snapper over just keeping it simple and drafting an o-lineman like Trey Smith. I can never forgive Rhule for that. It wasn't that hard. It was an obvious choice that could've helped the team. Last year and this year shows that we give Rhule control over late rounds and some UDFAs. 

I understand the pick. JJ has now been in the league for 14 years; that is a long time even for a long snapper. They probably weren't sure if he was going to retire or not and didn't want any Jordan Gross surprises. He's now signed for 1 year so we'll see where this goes. With all the kickers we went through last year it's a very good thing he was still here. Fletcher is still with us but hopefully JJ avoids injury.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

On 5/15/2022 at 12:05 PM, Icege said:

I think Mays makes the roster, though he might not be a part of the starting group (my prediction there is Ekwonu, Christensen, Bozeman, Corbett, and Moton).

Now pick 3 to 4 players from below and we've got our OL group:

• Deonte Brown
  • Dennis Daley
  • Michael Jordan
  • Pat Elflein
  • Cameron Erving
  • Mike Horton
  • Sam Tecklenburg
  • Austen Pleasants

tbh I'd be okay with just taking Brown and two traffic cones at this point

I agree that the starting group is Ekwonu, Christensen, Bozeman, Corbett, and Moton. 

Elfein and Erving stay because we already paid them, and they are serviceable vet BACK UPS.

Mays seems like a no brainer; plays C, RG, and RT. That's a good guy to have on the team. Especially with Erving and Elfein gone next season.

Brown and Jordan are young, cheap guards that have showed promise. The staff seem higher on Jordan than most of us, but he is a 24 yo 4th rounder out of Ohio State, So I'm not writing him off as depth. That would be 10, and we could get away with keeping 9 this year I think, due to the versatility of the back ups/Christensen. Trying to stash either on the PS squad could be a risk though, so we'll see.

• Pie 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:42 PM, NYPantherFan said:

Give me that starting 5 with Mays, Elflein and Irving. Brown and Daley can battle it out for the last spot.

Jordan can get cut the first day of camp for all I care.

100% on your top 8. Fug Daley though, he's had his shot, time to move on. I'd rather sign Jon Daley.

John Daly, the broken golfer who returned to the circuit and surprised  everyone with his striking appearance - News Rebeat

• Pie 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:09 PM, stbugs said:

Not really. They said he was a 2nd round G or a 3rd round T. Seeing as how any T with the same grade as a G will go a round earlier, we were basically saying he’s a great G prospect as the top Gs go late 1st or 2nd. Top tackle prospects go top 15.

Rhule was basically saying we got him in the 3rd as a T but that they got a steal as he would have gone 2nd if he was a G.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/28/panthers-matt-rhule-calls-brady-christensen-third-round-tackle-second-round-guard/

Yeah, this is a while back but I remember the video. Pretty sure I meant to say disagrees. Not sure what happened there.

• Beer 1