• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule Presents The Process

5 hours ago, CRA said:

Paid to be a leader and motivator of people though.  Strong personality types.  Perform well in high pressure scenarios.  That’s the gig.   

hard to see how he can do that well when every small market reporter seems to have him fumbling and panicking so consistently to simple questions.  

Coked out WWE sounding Campbell might be able talk you into running into a brick wall at least once.    

and the Panthers need better PR folks when it comes to Rhule.   He has so many bad appearances out there on camera.   If they can’t stop them then they need to start showing some behind the scenes stuff to even it out where he looks the part IMO.    

And I’ve said for awhile Rhule would help himself by just not talking.  And the Panthers do seem to have dialed back how much they put him out front of late. 

He couldn’t even handle the guys on WFNZ lol.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

"Get 1-percent better every day."  When does he kick that off, himself?

I've worked in, for, and around an agency in DC for 33 years.  My wife has worked in public relations for 25+ years.  I have a strong BS meter in my head, and hearing that interview it was pegged at the max.  It may take hours for it to come back down. 

Rhule could be in Congress.

You and I have a similar background and in IT Delivery Management, I best have a very strong bullshit meter…

…and I think you hit my issue with the guy, besides not knowing what he is doing, my bullshit meter with him, never, ever shuts off .   Ever 

I just don’t know what anyone in the nfl sees in this  guy…not even sure about ncaa, I mean it’s not like he was lights out there either 

He and Tepper ruined something I loved.

Life goes on and there are greater tragedies in life…but they sure knew how to ruin a good thing 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

You and I have a similar background and in IT Delivery Management, I best have a very strong bullshit meter…

…and I think you hit my issue with the guy, besides not knowing what he is doing, my bullshit meter with him, never, ever shuts off .   Ever 

I just don’t know what anyone in the nfl sees in this  guy…not even sure about ncaa, I mean it’s not like he was lights out there either 

Life goes on and there are greater tragedies in life…but they sure knew how to ruin a good thing 

I guess it works on 18/19 year old kids who have little life experience to draw on. To a grown adult he just sounds like a bumbling idiot. It’s surprising to me that a billionaire could get swooned by this but maybe that’s the the problem in the first place.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

6 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Second this.  Similar career and my default starting point is to filter out the BS and find substance.

Some people think if you keep on saying it the it will become the truth. 

sexy the walking dead GIF

• Flames 1

All coaches, even great ones, have a shelf life. As one great coach put it, there comes a time when they've heard all your speeches, know all your motivational tactics, etc

Some shelf lives are shorter than others though. And given that Rhule's persona is more motivator than tactician, I hope he's got better than this on gamedays.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

All coaches, even great ones, have a shelf life. As one great coach put it, there comes a time when they've heard all your speeches, know all your motivational tactics, etc

Some shelf lives are shorter than others though. And given that Rhule's persona is more motivator than tactician, I hope he's got better than this on gamedays.

Sadly, based on last year I have doubts his game day speeches are any better.  The team looked completely lost most of the second half of the year. 

While I am not in favor of firing coaches in two years (with some exceptions, in Denver I would have fired McDaniels after his first month, and Meyer would have gotten the axe in Jacksonville after the first public dust-up.  Then again, I would not have hired Meyer or Schiano, who was a different head case, to begin with), when a team looks completely at sea, that is cause for some kind of change.

He is finding the BS does not work in the NFL for very long.  Does he have more than that?  I don't think so, but I guess we'll find out for sure one way or another.

Great coaches tend to be good motivators, but they also are good to great strategists and tacticians.  Rhule was hired based on the first, but now he has to prove the second or at least listen to people who are better than him at those things.

If he has a “process” for building a roster and how to manage said roster, (which I hope to God he does) it would be idiotic to spell it all out there to the media to appease and sound smart to message board nerds. 
Some of his possible philosophies based on what we’ve seen;

He likes to bring rookies along slowly, especially later round picks in certain position groups. Not necessarily a bad thing in regard not wanting to overwhelm young players and possibly ruin them. A lot of the “throw them into the fire” crowd, might think differently if it were their 20 year old thrown out there to get embarrassed on national TV and possibly ruin their career. These young men have lives to lead after the NFL chews them up and spits them out. As a college coach and a father, Rhule is probably sensitive to that.

To get out of QB purgatory, take lots of swings and be willing to miss. Better than trotting out a Teddy or Cousins repeatedly.I like his willingness to try something and move on quickly if it doesn’t work. Picking up Sam’s option was absolutely crizazzlebeans, though.

Finally, and this is something he’s actually said, he wants to build a team for sustained success. It will be interesting to see how the “all in for now” philosophy works out for the Rams long term. I’m not saying it’s right of wrong, but having a player groomed to take over when the team loses a player to FA, and building through the draft, may be better for long term results.

TL/DR. I know.

continue your whining. Bitches.

Edited by Khaki Lackey

I’d still like someone to ask Tepper about his “it’s an 8-8” league” stance.  What about our process prevents us from being what the league essentially designs for everyone to get to.  Think Tepper basically alluded to each organization dictates where you take that 8-8 team. 

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, CRA said:

Paid to be a leader and motivator of people though.  Strong personality types.  Perform well in high pressure scenarios.  That’s the gig.   

hard to see how he can do that well when every small market reporter seems to have him fumbling and panicking so consistently to simple questions.  

Coked out WWE sounding Campbell might be able talk you into running into a brick wall at least once.    

and the Panthers need better PR folks when it comes to Rhule.   He has so many bad appearances out there on camera.   If they can’t stop them then they need to start showing some behind the scenes stuff to even it out where he looks the part IMO.    

And I’ve said for awhile Rhule would help himself by just not talking.  And the Panthers do seem to have dialed back how much they put him out front of late. 

If the NFL Rhule Mic'd up segment and the draft confidentials are the best behind the scenes stuff they can get together it's not looking good. 

15 hours ago, ColumbusCounty said:

No it pretty much lastest from the initial Tepper and Hurney interview right up until the 24 hours after receiving the keys to his office space.

Iirc, even his introductory speech was pretty damn good. Then again it's a EXTREME difference between reading off note cards vs on the spot response. 

To add to his flaws imo he's a bit power hungry and he tries too hard to relate to the players. So instead of it feeling genuine it comes off as cringy at times ..that may because he's still pulling from his Temple/Baylor bag i.e...Treating grown men like first year freshmen.

In his mind he probably sees himself as John Madden in grooming. In reality, we've been gifted Rick Moranis from the Little Giants. 

Sad part is I'd like to like this guy. He just makes that incredibly hard at almost a trolling rate. 

His introduction presser came off as sleezy preacher to Me. Hated the hire from day 1

Edited by toldozer
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Sadly, based on last year I have doubts his game day speeches are any better.  The team looked completely lost most of the second half of the year. 

While I am not in favor of firing coaches in two years (with some exceptions, in Denver I would have fired McDaniels after his first month, and Meyer would have gotten the axe in Jacksonville after the first public dust-up.  Then again, I would not have hired Meyer or Schiano, who was a different head case, to begin with), when a team looks completely at sea, that is cause for some kind of change.

He is finding the BS does not work in the NFL for very long.  Does he have more than that?  I don't think so, but I guess we'll find out for sure one way or another.

Great coaches tend to be good motivators, but they also are good to great strategists and tacticians.  Rhule was hired based on the first, but now he has to prove the second or at least listen to people who are better than him at those things.

That kind of persona probably does work better at the college level because you know that in three or four years, the players you're talking to will be gone.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1