• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterback roster moves?

Stuart Smith

7 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

Anyone care to predict any Panthers moves at quarterback over the next 2 months? Will they be conservative and sign a lesser known back up? Or, are we set with Darnold, PJ, and Corral? 

Unless Cleveland gets more desperate to offload then we roll with what we’ve got. 

im not sure how well this post will age but I’m going with that. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

20 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Unless Cleveland gets more desperate to offload then we roll with what we’ve got. 

im not sure how well this post will age but I’m going with that. 

I agree.  Baker and JimmyG want to start.  They will ask to be released and the teams will either take whatever they can get, or just release them.  With 3 new quality OLmen, an actual OC and hopefully healthy CMC, we are a more attractive place to land than last year.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I agree.  Baker and JimmyG want to start.  They will ask to be released and the teams will either take whatever they can get, or just release them.  With 3 new quality OLmen, an actual OC and hopefully healthy CMC, we are a more attractive place to land than last year.

Releasing Baker Mayfield would be moronic. You'd be better off paying 70% of his salary and getting a pick in return.

His salary is completely guaranteed.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Stuart Smith said:

Anyone care to predict any Panthers moves at quarterback over the next 2 months? Will they be conservative and sign a lesser known back up? Or, are we set with Darnold, PJ, and Corral? 

I think we end up trading for Mayfield but not within the next two months. I think towards August/end of August.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Releasing Baker Mayfield would be moronic. You be better off paying 70% of his salary and getting a pick in return.

His salary is completely guaranteed.

Cleveland definitely screwed the pooch with this situation. Baker won't play for the Browns this year and Watson may not either depending. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think we end up trading for Mayfield but not within the next two months. I think towards August/end of August.

Given how far behind he'd be with the playbook and that the only reason they make such a move is to try to maximize wins this year and that Cleveland will have enough distraction with Watson as it is, that timing doesn't make much sense to me. I'd guess they move him right before camps start.

That said, these guys went off the rails for Watson in the first place. Who knows what they'll ultimately do or why.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Given how far behind he'd be with the playbook and that the only reason they make such a move is to try to maximize wins this year and that Cleveland will have enough distraction with Watson as it is, that timing doesn't make much sense to me. I'd guess they move him right before camps start.

That said, these guys went off the rails for Watson in the first place. Who knows what they'll ultimately do or why.

I know, I just think that we will focus much more on the price than the timing. I don't think there is desperation on the Panthers part.

Not to mention he probably wouldn't have to know much of the playbook to immediately be an upgrade over the current QB's on the roster.

If the Browns wanted to do all of his salary, minus $6-7 mil, I think we'd at least listen. Supposedly the Panthers are in the $3-5 mil range and Cleveland only wants to pay half.

It's also possible someone swoops in and just does a better deal than ours.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

The only acceptable trade for Mayfield would be a straight up swap for Darnold.  Would not give up any picks whatsoever. 

I just don’t see why the Browns do it then.k if that’s the case.  Plus I think Sam being part of the deal would have leaked with the rest of the info. 

They could sit on Baker and see who gets hurts on other teams. They just signed Jacoby for the role Sam would fill