• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Receiver

Mr. Scot

14 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

It's a shame Sam can't get it together. Dude throws the ball so well.

10 hours ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

He has all the tools to be a great QB. Great size and great arm. Too bad a kindergartener can read a Harry Potter book better than he could read defense 

Sam is only good for Practice reps for the Wide Receivers, Tight-Ends, and Pass-Catching Running Backs, it seems.

If he doesn't have to read the defense, he's golden.

Unfortunately for him, in the NFL, reading defenses is one of (if not, *THE*) top requirements of being an NFL QB. 

He said that he's growing in confidence under McAdoo's system....it's easy to do that when all he has to do is just throw the ball in a controlled environment. 

But who knows?  He might shock the world this season if he even starts looking "competent" when he's out there.   Maybe McAdoo dumbs down the offense to the point where even Sam could resemble an NFL QB?   (not holding my breath but....at the same time, I'd rather not throw Corral out there just yet)

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1

24 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Sam is only good for Practice reps for the Wide Receivers, Tight-Ends, and Pass-Catching Running Backs, it seems.

If he doesn't have to read the defense, he's golden.

Unfortunately for him, in the NFL, reading defenses is one of (if not, *THE*) top requirements of being an NFL QB. 

He said that he's growing in confidence under McAdoo's system....it's easy to do that when all he has to do is just throw the ball in a controlled environment. 

But who knows?  He might shock the world this season if he even starts looking "competent" when he's out there.   Maybe McAdoo dumbs down the offense to the point where even Sam could resemble an NFL QB?   (not holding my breath but....at the same time, I'd rather not throw Corral out there just yet)

Yep. It's when the bullets are live that Sam falls apart. If the light suddenly came on this deep into his career, it would be the outlier of all outliers.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yep. It's when the bullets are live that Sam falls apart. If the light suddenly came on this deep into his career, it would be the outlier of all outliers.

You and me would both have their jaws permanently dropped to the ground if that happened, that's for sure.  lol

Edited by glenwo2
  • Beer 1

BTW, did you see this part in the latest Panther-Bot News link?

https://www.panthers.com/news/minicamp-wrap-roster-competitive-ekwonu-darnold-jaycee-donte-corral

— It's tempting to dismiss the praise of Darnold as coachspeak, but he's clearly had a better offseason.

Part of that stems from him spending more time here, absorbing new coordinator Ben McAdoo's playbook. It's not that he didn't study a year ago, but this work has been more focused.

Darnold has always had the talent to play the position, but on the field (in shorts and against a defense that doesn't get to hit), he has been better. Specifically, he connected on more deep balls as the sessions wore on. There was more of a sense of presence from him. One day during OTAs, when practice got a little loose, Darnold called the team to huddle up, and they responded. It was the kind of thing a leader does. Rookie Matt Corral also said Darnold had been a good mentor for him, helping him understand the (vast) differences between the college game and his new role.

Darnold still has a lot to prove. But to dismiss the progress he's made would be unfair.

I dismiss the progress because, like I CORRECTLY pointed out : It's a controlled environment.

Hell...even in the article, it points out "in shorts and against a defense THAT DOESN'T GET TO HIT".

So I take any so-called "Progress" with a microscopic grain of salt here.

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

He has all the tools to be a great QB. Great size and great arm. Too bad a kindergartener can read a Harry Potter book better than he could read defense 

See, I don't think that's it. I think its a processing speed issue. He will look at a wide open receiver and he has this pause, then he goes to the next read. It's a yip, perhaps from getting the poo knocked out of him for four straight seasons, but it doesn't matter. He's unfixable at this point.

Only a sports psychologist and maybe a hypnotist could fix him at this point.

If Darnold were just mediocre but showed heart and actual leadership he might be at least likeable despite the circumstances. Instead he is horrible and walks back to the bench by himself to mope after throwing pick sixes that put his teammates and his defense in very bad situations. Anyone hyping his performance in camp is not fit to discuss football.