• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predictions: Biggest Leap/Biggest Fall

Michael G

We are all bored of the Mayfield Trade threads and not much is going on. So why we all have time to reflect I pose 2 questions to the Huddle;

1. Which Player will take the biggest jump this year (I think Shaq made a leap last year..)? 

2. Which Player's performance will drop (fall) the most this year (I think R. Anderson really fell last year...)?

Please offer your predictions and any analysis you'd like.

• Beer 1

I'll bite.

1)  Tremble.  I think the offense last year was dysfunctional to the point where it was hard to evaluate guys.  McAdoo likes to utlize tight ends more than the previous regime and Ian Thomas sucks, therefore I'll roll w/ Tremble.

2)  Hard to say.  The offensive line has almost been completely replaced so can't go there.  Our pass rush will be weaker with Reddick gone so it is probably going to be a secondary player.  I hate to say it, but probably Donte Jackson.

• Pie 6

1. TMJ

2. Jackson    

*in fairness to Jackson, I think he will basically just be the same guy he largely always has been for us.  But I think he will get some heat given how he got overrated last year. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Ted Ginn Jr.'s Hands said:

1)  Tremble.  I think the offense last year was dysfunctional to the point where it was hard to evaluate guys.  McAdoo likes to utlize tight ends more than the previous regime and Ian Thomas sucks, therefore I'll roll w/ Tremble.

2)  Hard to say.  The offensive line has almost been completely replaced so can't go there.  Our pass rush will be weaker with Reddick gone so it is probably going to be a secondary player.  I hate to say it, but probably Donte Jackson.

I agree that Tremble should be better this year in Macadoo's system. I also think its hard to predict whose production might drop. Chinn will be affected by Rhodes but it could be good or bad. Donte will be affected by all the rising talent in our secondary for sure. I am really excited to see this group under Wilks. He put together some pretty good back ends for us without neary as much talent in the past.

• Pie 2

Biggest Leap 

Derrick Brown- off season conditioning this plush the 3rd year light switch. He’s shown flashes and when he’s focused he can’t be blocked.

Biggest Fall

Donte Jackson- I don’t think he falls “hard” per say but I get the feeling he will be the “why did we pay him” player next year.

• Pie 3

Leap: I'll go with Christensen. Rumor has it his arms have lengthened by 1/32" so he will now obviously be fit to play anywhere on the line.  Actually, I think he'll build on end of year momentum.

Fall:  I'd think Hubbard for a perceived step back.  he won't be terrible, but a healthy McCaffery and Foreman will overshadow, even if he improves a bit over last year.

• Pie 4

1. Horn. Kind of cheating since he didn't play much last season.

2. Brian Burns. With no real other pass rush threats on the roster, Burns gets all the offensive blocking attention and has a career low sack total. Maybe not a product of Burns himself falling off as much as him not having almost any other elite DL help.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Leap - Ian Thomas.  McAdoo has already indicated that he’s building an offense that will take advantage of Thomas’ size and speed.  

Fall - Zane Gonzalez.  I love Zane, but he outkicked his career avg by a long shot last year . I hope it’s not a fluke and he continues to kick well.  But he’s the only real candidate I could find here since the entire team kinda sucked last year lol

• Pie 3

1.  Most Improved

• (defense)  DE YGM.  Year 3 will be a charm, he will have expectations and opportunity.   Hardy and Charles Johnson were nothing until year 3. 
  • (Offense) WR Terrace Marshall.  Expect him to steal snaps from Anderson by year's end.  I also expect OL Brady Christensen to be in this conversation.

2. Performance drop king

• (defense) CB CJ Henderson.  This is really based on hype and expectations--I think he confirms his busthood this year.
  • (Offense) RB Chuba Hubbard.  I think he will get fewer and fewer reps and will be eventually cut if CMC stays healthy. 
  • Pie 3

Ron Rivera made Donte Jackson look like a lower round rookie.

He'd certainly had some good games prior to that, but boy did he crash afterward.

That game is probably the greatest illustration I ever saw of the old saying "What I created, I can also destroy".

• Beer 1

I don't know if he'll qualify as most improved since he was one of the few bright spots in the last few seasons, but I expect Moton to ball TF out now that he actually has talent beside him in Corbett. So I'll pick:

leap - Tremble or Nixon. Both were solid as rookies and are set to get bigger roles this year.

fall - I'm going out on a limb with Elflein, because I don't think he was THAT bad once he moved to center. He wasn't THAT good either. I don't see him being much of a factor at all this season unless there are injuries. Christensen, Mays, and Brown should be ahead of him at LG and Bozeman took his C role.

• Pie 3