• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why so much pessimism for Baker.

Alemanders

4 hours ago, hepcat said:

1) Faker is a dramatic crybaby douche. He has talked an exorbitant amount of trash about UT football despite growing up in Austin and had the gall to go to OU. He’s a coward and he will never redeem himself in my eyes for that.

2) He flat out SUCKS. The Browns thought so little of him they were willing to trade 3 first round picks for an accused sexual predator who might not even play this season. They paid $10m to send Faker out the door. They basically gave him away. 

3) Even if I’m wrong and Faker looks better than I believe he will, the Panthers are a dumpster fire. Matt Rhule as we all know is not suited to be an NFL head coach. The roster is littered with injury prone star players. David Tepper has no idea what he’s doing football wise. It’s a mess, and Faker is a wildcard to create a mess of drama on this sinking ship.

So excuse me if I’m not excited. 

1. Basically indicates you have some personal gripe and kind of nullifies what you say after, valid or otherwise.

• Beer 1

I dont get why half this fan base suddenly thinks that the saviour of this franchise is the 94th pick in the draft.

There are WAY greater odds that he never starts a single game in the NFL then there is of him somehow being the next Aaron Rodgers that half the people posting here think he is. 

• Pie 1

The Good

• The Panthers did not break the bank to acquire Mayfield, either in exchange with the Browns or in how much of his salary they ate.  We stuck to our limit of how much salary we were willing to eat, which is good because the Browns screwed themselves and we did not need to dig them out.

• The fact that Mayfield was willing to part with $3M or so means he wants to play, not just watch the clock tick down on contract and move on

• He’s better than anybody else on the roster, with the jury still listening to evidence on Corral

• Perhaps this takes us back to the original idea with Bridgewater: give him two seasons, and along the way figure out if he is the answer or groom his successor

• Since Mayfield has been a starter and is in his “put up or shut up year” he should be motivated to perform.  He’s playing for his next contract

• His contract is only for one year, so if it does not go well, we (hopefully) just let it lapse.

The Bad

• The Browns decided they had gone as far as they were going to go with Mayfield.  Before the Watson flirtations, the rumors were that they were looking to move on.  That means they saw a definite ceiling to Mayfield and they thought they had hit it.  The rebuttal to this is the people who saw the ceiling were.......the Browns.

• While he’s better than anybody else on the Panther roster, he is probably middle third QB at best.  Being better than anybody else on the Panther roster is not exactly high praise.
  • While his contract is only for one year, that assumes we do not do anything stupid……which we all know we have done before.  It also means we have to figure out where he fits in our QB situation this year.

• This has the very real potential to delay any evaluation of Corral prior to the 2023 draft

The Ugly

• This has little to do with Mayfield, but we are not exactly known for our prowess at evaluating QBs.  We see things that nobody else sees because they are not there, and it may be related to......

• Rhule or somebody on the staff thinks they can turn garbage into gold at the position.  Who knows how highly they think of a guy who has actually had some semblance of success? 

• As I said in the good, this perhaps puts us back to the plan we had with Bridgewater.  The Ugly part of that is we are still there a couple of years later

• Pie 1

Who are they developing with all the one year suck ass QB rentals from bottom feeder franchises?

They said Rhule was a developer, why didn't he choose a QB to develop? He wants to rent others mistakes and hope for different results.

Mayfield AND Darnold should be backups NOT starting, they've both proved that in 4yrs. That's reality. Neither should be starting ahead of a competent QB.

This pipe dream of Baker Mayfield becoming a real NFL QB just because he's now on YOUR favorite team is delusional especially after experiencing Sam Darnold you should know better.

It's a shot in the dark and a big waste of time IF Corral is the future. What Corral did in the SEC has more merit than the disfunctionality Baker and Sam bring with them.

• Pie 1

-Cleveland saw what they felt was an once in a generation situation where they could trade for a top 5 QB in the peak of his career (from a physical standpoint) in Watson.  Watson as terrible as he is off the field is a huge upgrade over any average QB, so they jumped in and inquired which led to Baker demanding a trade.  People are acting like they were the Niners a traded away 3 firsts for an uproven rookie because Baker sucked that bad.   Yes it was a dumb move by the Browns and maybe we will benefit from it.

-People worried about the future should know we still have Corral and if we get a new coach and Baker blows like people are saying we can draft one from this loaded class next year.  The future is still pretty open unless people are concerned about Baker playing well which makes no sense.

-We have people complaining about this staff being shitty and not giving Corral any reps.  Do you want this same shitty staff starting him and developing him his rookie year?  If this staff is as bad as you think then let's spare Corral and let Baker take the fall this year and get Rhule fired.  Our new coach can decided if Corral is the guy or let him compete with whatever rookie he drafts.

This trade was a good trade with little implications on our future that can be seen as a negative IMO...

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, Alemanders said:

What is the genuine dislike for Baker at this point? We got him cheaper than we got Darnold and Teddy by alot, and hes shown to be better than both. His injury is less severe than teddys, and he seems to have a better disposition than Sam. 

I'm not a big Mayfield fan, however, he is on the team and I support the team.  I'm hoping he lights it up enough to get us excited for next year and stops short, just enough to get rule fired.  

11 hours ago, rippadonn said:

His team cheated on him with lusty Watson a one night stand, must not be good in the sack.

If they know him better than anybody after 4yrs and wanted him out the door and anybody else in his place says all you need to know.

Failed.

I can't argue with that.

• Beer 1

49 minutes ago, Tyler Waves said:

I can be hyped for Corral and have high hopes for him while also recognizing Baker leading the team this year is the best option. I don't know why so many can't 

Same same. 

I would love for Corral to be all that we hope he can be for the future. I love his style of play, his moxy and leadership in the locker room. He has that DNA/blueprint to being a successful NFL QB. Time will tell if he reaches that potential. 

This is where Mayfield helps. Corral can live in the film room, watch the speed of the NFL up close, but not in a starter role, and ask all the questions he has of the vets. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont get why half this fan base suddenly thinks that the saviour of this franchise is the 94th pick in the draft.

There are WAY greater odds that he never starts a single game in the NFL then there is of him somehow being the next Aaron Rodgers that half the people posting here think he is. 

Can’t speak for everyone, but I’m excited for Corral because he is talented. That’s it. 

Try to forget draft position, and compare college tape of Corral vs. Bakers and Sam’s.

Either way (unlike when we had Teddy) we currently have 3 QB’s who don’t have physical limitations to their game.

Failure from them would be situational and/or mental.