• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person and The 33rd Team break down the Mayfield trade

Mr. Scot

Just now, CRA said:

worse case scenario falls in between that though. 

Baker isn't good but better than Sam.  CMC stays healthy.  We stumble into 7-8 wins.  Which is another losing record.  Rhule basically looks like the same guy we saw the first two years.  But we win more games. 

What do you do? 

Its another wasted year.

And you know this is exactly whats going to happen. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its another wasted year.

And you know this is exactly whats going to happen. 

it's a wasted year.  But it would be a dangerous one....in regards to what the Panthers would do w/ Rhule and Baker after a 7 win season .  

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Baker isn't good but better than Sam.  CMC stays healthy.  We stumble into 7-8 wins.  Which is another losing record.  Rhule basically looks like the same guy we saw the first two years.  But we win more games. 

What do you do? 

If it's up to me, at the end of the season, you

Explode Blow It Up GIF by ABC Network

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So if Baker were so desired and cheap why didnt any of those teams make a play for him?

Not sure who said baker is "desired" and Im not sure why you are bringing Baker into the point I was making about how hard it is for an NFL franchise to find a franchise QB. 

If you are honestly curious about why those teams didnt make a play for Baker, Im the wrong person to ask. Maybe jump into other team forums and ask their fans....

Looked up his OC history in Cleveland...

Mayfield started out with Todd Haley under Hue Jackson with Ken Zampese as his QB Coach. That's a mix of Coryell and E-P influences. Didn't last long of course since Jackson and Haley were fired midseason. Freddie Kitchens took over on the offensive side and did well enough that he got promoted to head coach.

Kitchens installed Todd Monken as OC and Ryan Lindley (the guy you might remember as the hapless opposing QB from our playoff game against the Cardinals a few years back) as his QB Coach. You probably remember how that went.

(Side Note: Panthers OL Coach James Campen held the title of Assistant Head Coach on this team)

Things stabilized somewhat the following year with the hire of Kevin Stefanski and the installation of Alex Van Pelt as OC. To my knowledge, Van Pelt is primarily an E-P guy.

Overall, it doesn't sound like Mayfield has had a lot of WCO influences so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

41 minutes ago, CRA said:

What do you do? 

In my mind anything less than 10 wins this year and Rhule needs to be fired. No in between. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Lots of RPOs would be a nice system for Corral to develop into behind Baker.

That's what worked on and off in Cleveland. When defenses forced him into traditional drop back situations his qb rating was like 70, as high as 130 when running RPOs

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So if Baker were so desired and cheap why didnt any of those teams make a play for him?

The same applies to Corral.  He was 94th in the draft. He was the 4th QB taken in a draft class where many people, including huddlers said, was a weak QB class. 

He was selected by the same "idiot" brain trust.

3 hours ago, Rubi said:

It seems really expensive what they’ve done to create their QB room. I can’t recall any other team doing this unless someone can lay out another example. 
(amount of $ spent and draft picks traded away to bring in QBs)

That's a pop fly man.

The 49ers traded three 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick for Trey Lance and paid JimmyG around $26 million last year.  They also gave up a 2nd round pick for JimmyG when he was acquired.  Pretty steep.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

(subscription required)

Good article, with my favorite line being a quote from Steve Smith:

“He wears his emotions on his sleeve. I do, too. I was an emotional player. But the difference between Baker and I is one, I won the triple crown — I led the league in something besides crying.” 

Ouch 😬

Smitty has since changed his tune, of course...

Serena Williams Lol GIF by WTA

39 minutes ago, poundaway said:

The same applies to Corral.  He was 94th in the draft. He was the 4th QB taken in a draft class where many people, including huddlers said, was a weak QB class. 

He was selected by the same "idiot" brain trust.

McAdoo was in the room. I trust him more than anybody in that room. They're Busch league.

4 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Because he sucks, he is only a marginal upgrade from Sam if at all. He was the weak link on a team with a top 5 OL and a top 10 D. 

I expect him to have around 18 tds and 12-14 ints if he starts the full season. 

Former Eagles team President Joe Banner believes the Panthers should have gone ahead and signed Mayfield to a one-year extension.

I'd guess the Darnold experience probably prevented that from happening.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1