• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker's Brand of Football: Kurt Warner's Analysis. Part 1 and 2.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Corral doesn't have anywhere near the arm talent Baker does. Very few NFL QB's do.

If he ever put it together, he could be great. But....that hasn't happened yet so the odds of that seem to be rather slim.

IMO, TC should be 1. Baker, 2. Corral, 3. Darnold/PJ/whoever

Invest in players that might be your future, not players that are about to be your past.

Ever heard of the name Jeff George?  Baker reminds me of him.  Dude had tons of talent, but was just a headcase.  He literally threw his career away because he couldn't learn to be an adult and a professional.  Heck, there is even shades of our own Kerry Collins.  I heard of stories of him out late on Saturday nights (early Sunday morning) clubbing in Charlotte before a 1:00 kickoff.

If, and this is a BIG IF, Baker takes a long look in the mirror and realizes this season will likely be the make or break year for his NFL career then he should rebound nicely and I predict around .500 for our Panthers.  If he insists on maintaining his status as Cleveland Baker, a couple more wins for us over last year, but we let him walk and take a QB in the 2023 draft.  Baker ends up as back up at that point until he washes out of the League.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Ever heard of the name Jeff George?  Baker reminds me of him.  Dude had tons of talent, but was just a headcase.  He literally threw his career away because he couldn't learn to be an adult and a professional.  Heck, there is even shades of our own Kerry Collins.  I heard of stories of him out late on Saturday nights (early Sunday morning) clubbing in Charlotte before a 1:00 kickoff.

If, and this is a BIG IF, Baker takes a long look in the mirror and realizes this season will likely be the make or break year for his NFL career then he should rebound nicely and I predict around .500 for our Panthers.  If he insists on maintaining his status as Cleveland Baker, a couple more wins for us over last year, but we let him walk and take a QB in the 2023 draft.  Baker ends up as back up at that point until he washes out of the League.

Yeah, good comparison. Baker just has to figure out if he wants to be an elite football player in the NFL or not. 

• Pie 1

Just now, SammyFranchise said:

Kurt is basically saying Mayfield sucks and can only read half the field and ya'll excited. Darnold is going to win the starting job after training camp. 

Plausible. Darnold is the better athlete -- bigger, faster, stronger. He's a talented thrower of the football. Without a real pass rush, Darnold could look good in TC. 

But we have all seen what happens when the bullets are live.

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

Plausible. Darnold is the better athlete -- bigger, faster, stronger. He's a talented thrower of the football. Without a real pass rush, Darnold could look good in TC. 

90% sure that’s a troll account. The only 10% doubt is from Sizzle being for real.

• Pie 1

I hate this POS. Only time I've said that about a player.

The more I read about him. The more I see of him the worse this looks.

What did the Panthers get with Baker Mayfield? 

An immature video game playing Man child who is arrogant and hates children and dogs.

We shouldn't have done this. I give it a 5percent chance of success. 

7 hours ago, SammyFranchise said:

Kurt is basically saying Mayfield sucks and can only read half the field and ya'll excited. Darnold is going to win the starting job after training camp. 

IMO The offense Baker ran (as described by Warner) was kind of simplified, but it worked. IMO its the kind of thing Corral could pull off. I think its a starting point kind of Offense that a talented OC/QB pair could start with, The Offense could grow with the QB (hopefully). Move the Pocket. Limit the number pf reads (QB is often outside of pocket and can make yards with his legs or throw the ball away if WRs are covered). The QB gets comfortable and the OC adds more in time.

With our improved line hopefully we have some success running the football which will open up a lot of thing for the QB (hopefully).

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, trueblade said:

Darnold had his audition last year.  Mayfield is the starter.  The rest is theatrics.

I bet we started making plans for Mayfield as soon the Browns entered the Watson  sweepstakes.  It pissed Baker off as much is it did Ryan. Even if the Browns didn't land Watson, Mayfield may be in play.

We signed Rashard Higgins WR from the Browns March 16h.
Watson announced his deal with the Browns on March 17th.
We've been negotiating for Mayfield since at least the draft in April.  Drafting a QB gave us another option and some leverage in negotiations.

We'll see what Mayfield's got.  Mayfield is starting week 1 vs the Browns.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

I hate this POS. Only time I've said that about a player.

The more I read about him. The more I see of him the worse this looks.

What did the Panthers get with Baker Mayfield? 

An immature video game playing Man child who is arrogant and hates children and dogs.

We shouldn't have done this. I give it a 5percent chance of success. 

Wait? He hates dogs??

You have some type of weird Baker love fest going on in here, with some mighty claims, and yet still he couldn't take the Browns who had arguably the best O-line and the best backfield in football as well as two of the better wide receivers in football, as well as solid legitimate receiving tight ends to the championship. Sure, he beat the Steelers who had a Swiss cheese O-line and a spent QB behind them, but so what! Baker is supposed to have all this arm talent--better than most--but could barely scrape (if he even did) a top 10 ranking at the position? Are you kidding me? 

Let me say this one more time: Baker was in an excellent situation in Cleveland! It was ready-made for a QB to rise to the occasion and win a chip. Baker shrank under the spotlight and was arguably the Browns biggest obstacle. He has thrown more INTs than ANY QB in the NFL since he has been in the league. ANY and EVERY QB since he has been in the league! It's his decision making, or lack thereof that has landed him where he is. You think that it feels me with a sense of security that he seems to only excel off play-action when scanning half the field and is able to make quick throws, but when things begin to break down and he has to add a little touch to his passes that he leaves meat on the bone? That's when great QBs make their living. You can't just drive balls with authority, looking for the big play every time. This leads to trouble, and it's where Mayfield has gotten into trouble. So pump the brakes! Mayfield has tons to prove, and hopefully he'll have to earn his role as opposed to it being given to him. If he does, he doesn't even have to be the best QB on our roster, much less a legit threat for being the QB of our future. 

• Pie 1