• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield has a lot to prove, period!

top dawg

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

In a WCO attack throwing to Moose and Patrick Jeffers, he was amazing.

IMO, peak Beuerlein was better than peak Delhomme. Not by a bunch but just a bit.

Delhomme will always be a little overrated by fans because he was such an easy guy to be a fan of. 

8 hours ago, top dawg said:

He seems to be that already.

Depression? Maybe, but he's had therapy and appears to be in a good place. 

As for alcohol, it's not like he's an alcoholic. He stopped drinking because he didn't want it to be an excuse for his perceived failures.

I think he's stronger mentally than you give him credit for being, and I also think he's in a good situation. The immediate pressure is off, so he can learn at a comfortable pace. He also thrives off of competition, and he is still viewed as the QB of the future in Charlotte. I think some of you are glossing over that fact amid this Mayfield mania.

Michael Rainey Jr Yes GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Hes better than Collins, Steve B and Jake?  GTFO

Damn, how easily they forget.

Sorry, they are Fhulish if you think this substandard guy should play in front of any top QB coming out of the SEC.

Sam and Baker are ONE contract QBS, failed projects, next it's backup or broadcasting.

To delay that obvious career trajectory hoping for a different result?! Fhulish.

The prisoners(fans,media) are starting to walk and talk like their jailers. Smh.

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Hes better than Collins, Steve B and Jake?  GTFO

He has a chance to be if he can pull his head out of his ass. 

Jake was not a great QB, in fact the talk about John Fox was how he could win without a franchise QB when he had Jake.  I loved Jake he was a great dude, but he was not a franchise QB. 

Steve was decent but never had a winning season in Carolina. 

Kerry Collins was a drunk who mostly threw more Ints than TDs.

Baker can be better than all 3 of these guys just because he has more talent, if he is actually better than them in Carolina is a whole different story. 

11 hours ago, bruceleeroy said:

Stop believing everything you read.  It's all hearsay nonsense.  None of it backed up with actual quotes or audio from people to back it up.

It never is. But writers for national publications don't generally publish a story that they can't back up. It would be career suicide. 

• Poo 1

This signing is exactly why a fanbase

2 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

He has a chance to be if he can pull his head out of his ass. 

Jake was not a great QB, in fact the talk about John Fox was how he could win without a franchise QB when he had Jake.  I loved Jake he was a great dude, but he was not a franchise QB. 

Steve was decent but never had a winning season in Carolina. 

Kerry Collins was a drunk who mostly threw more Ints than TDs.

Baker can be better than all 3 of these guys just because he has more talent, if he is actually better than them in Carolina is a whole different story. 

That head has been up that ass a long time. How about, that's just him and why, like the people of Cleveland have documented, he'll never be elite or take you to the next level. They know what's about to happen.

Kerry Collins had a better career than Baker ever will. He took his talents elsewhere and did well. Baker was on his way to the streets. This is not somehow a great pickup or the guy to play in front of a rookie who is probably better in the long run than two guys on their way out.

12 hours ago, Basbear said:

Its a good debate for this dead part of the "off-season". If you mixed prime jake with 2020 baker= favre. Skills-wise not even you would take jakes side(tho jake did win a pro-bowl QB challenge). Sac-wise and leadership all other descriptions moxic old jake alllllll day. 

If everything works out and baker resigns here longterm, it would take what 5-6 years before Jake is looking up to baker. My statement sorta shows the lack of QB talent thats came and played here....Give another 2-3 and baker would knock cam off nearly everything besides rushing TDs as well.  Steve had one hell of a year before it became a pass-happy league too. Off-field bs aside collins was a solid option given the expansion deal too.  

Longevity isn't how you rank the best player.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

IMO, peak Beuerlein was better than peak Delhomme. Not by a bunch but just a bit.

Delhomme will always be a little overrated by fans because he was such an easy guy to be a fan of. 

Depends on the system.

Delhomme did better in a Coryell type attack, but if you were running a WCO like Seifert did, Beuerlein was ideal.

Unfortunate that Seifert didn't see that and dumped him for Jeff Lewis (who I'm not sure ever played a down) 😕

• Beer 2

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is not a great situation for someone with alcohol and depression issues to be walking into. Corral was my second favorite QB in the draft but I thought he needed to go to a stable organizational environment. I didn't think we were a great fit.

Just being honest.

i'm not in the slightest worried about Corrall's mental toughness or it being challenged. he faced his issues head on, early on, and got a handle on it. like @top dawgsaid, he seems to be in a good place and he was a kid drinking and partying too much...that doesn't mean he was an alcoholic but it does mean he thinks it was enough to potentially be a problem/distraction that could interfere with football and he had the maturity to make the choice to get that part of his life under control before it got out of control. 

it takes maturity to get your life under control and get your priorities straight. that's what he did. more than that, it appears that he uses what he learned to help out teammates who might have similar issues. 

i think both baker and darnold have issues they haven't been able to deal with or grow from/grow out of. i don't know what darnold needs (maybe a psychic lol), but darnold just seems to be one of those guys who wants the respect of a grownup but keeps getting sucked back into teen issues/drama...a lot of petty stuff.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

This signing is exactly why a fanbase

That head has been up that ass a long time. How about, that's just him and why, like the people of Cleveland have documented, he'll never be elite or take you to the next level. They know what's about to happen.

Kerry Collins had a better career than Baker ever will. He took his talents elsewhere and did well. Baker was on his way to the streets. This is not somehow a great pickup or the guy to play in front of a rookie who is probably better in the long run than two guys on their way out.

I would rather see Corral play too , I dont even like Baker, but we have had trash at QB outside of Cam and a few seasons when Jake and Steve were decent. 

Out of our top 10 TD passes per season by a QB, Cam has 6 of those, Jake and Steve each have 2. We have passed for more than 30 td passes only twice. 2 of those top 10 TD seasons are less than 20. 

6 hours ago, Asaria said:

We could have Pat Mahomes and people would still post stuff like this on the Huddle lol.

Just the fact that you said this is pretty stupid considering what Mahomes has achieved in his time in the NFL and what Baker has achieved. Anyone that doesn't acknowledge the fact that Baker comes with a lot of questions, was on the market for weeks, and even notwithstanding purported locker room concerns was still faultering at crunch time, is more interested in trolling than actual discussion.

I call it like I see it and nothing more. Mayfield has displayed diva-ish behavior in the past, has been inconsistent, and will have to change before he can earn a long term job, much less get his team deep within the playoffs. If you can't accept that, then tough fuging tittie!

• Beer 2

14 hours ago, top dawg said:

It's starting to sound like some Huddlers want to simply give Baker a pass and disregard his issues pertaining to his issues in Cleveland. I just refuse to do it. He is going to have to earn any loyalty from me before I crown him as the savior that the Panthers need. 

I don't know if the article from the Athletic was posted here, or any excepts considering the Athletic's paywall, but a Fox Sports article from today makes reference to it, and it has basically said what I've been trying to tell you: Mayfield is going to have to change his way of being if he's going to be anything close to a long term answer in Charlotte.

Jason Lloyd of the Athletic rightly blamed the Browns for their decades of dysfunction, including their part in Baker's beginning as a young pro.

"But Lloyd also zeroed in on the issues that Mayfield brought to the table, and a lot of it had to do with how he acted on days other than Sunday, in addition to his struggles on gameday.

"Yet his constant failures in fourth quarters and tight moments, dating back to his rookie year, made it evident the Browns needed to get better at the most important position to compete with the arms race of AFC quarterbacks," Lloyd wrote. 'Mayfield always thought he was better than he was, and it repeatedly got him into trouble with terrible footwork and ill-advised throws at inopportune times.'

Lloyd continued.

'Mayfield was widely viewed as childish and immature. His behavior annoyed teammates and divided the locker room. He was often difficult to coach.'"

The Baker that Mayfield displayed in Cleveland is destined to fail in Charlotte. Baker is going to essentially have to turn over a new leaf, and in my opinion, Huddlers and Panthers fans everywhere should internalize and acknowledge this opinion as close to the truth as possible. Regardless of past injuries or other rationalizations about his ultimate failures in Cleveland, he can't bring that act to Charlotte and expect to be successful. So pump the brakes and simply stop. We're going to have to see what type of Baker is coming to Charlotte before we crown his ass as anything but a guy with some potential, but who hasn't gotten it done. He hasn't earned the right to be a diva, including getting on his high horse with the media. He's just another inconsistent QB with a certain amount of untapped potential with questionable decision-making (and we've become too accustomed to that in Charlotte for at least the last decade).

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/can-baker-mayfield-turn-it-around-carolina

If Watson doesnt become available, Baker is still starting in Cleveland, with a big contract!  All this mess about dividing a locker room just doesn't hold water to me. Guy is competitive, and an alpha male. Some guys just cant handle that! If Deshaun doesn't become an option, Cleveland would be talking about how good Baker is gonna be now that he is healthy!