• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield has a lot to prove, period!

top dawg

Well yeah he wouldn't have covered a good chunk of his salary if he didn't have a lot to prove. If there were a risk to take at a low cost this is how the Panthers should have done it last year instead of rushing for Darnold when no one else wanted him. Nothing to be upset about at this moment let's see what camp looks like.

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Damn. People have really forgotten how good Jake was before that Tommy John surgery.

Its a good debate for this dead part of the "off-season". If you mixed prime jake with 2020 baker= favre. Skills-wise not even you would take jakes side(tho jake did win a pro-bowl QB challenge). Sac-wise and leadership all other descriptions moxic old jake alllllll day. 

If everything works out and baker resigns here longterm, it would take what 5-6 years before Jake is looking up to baker. My statement sorta shows the lack of QB talent thats came and played here....Give another 2-3 and baker would knock cam off nearly everything besides rushing TDs as well.  Steve had one hell of a year before it became a pass-happy league too. Off-field bs aside collins was a solid option given the expansion deal too.  

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I was listening to WFNZ and they were “crowning his ass” more than I’ve heard anybody in a long time. It was embarrassing, and shows how long we have to go to be a respectable pro sports region.

happy cris carter GIF

Stockholm Syndrome. And thoroughly brown noses.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

It's starting to sound like some Huddlers want to simply give Baker a pass and disregard his issues pertaining to his issues in Cleveland. I just refuse to do it. He is going to have to earn any loyalty from me before I crown him as the savior that the Panthers need. 

I don't know if the article from the Athletic was posted here, or any excepts considering the Athletic's paywall, but a Fox Sports article from today makes reference to it, and it has basically said what I've been trying to tell you: Mayfield is going to have to change his way of being if he's going to be anything close to a long term answer in Charlotte.

Jason Lloyd of the Athletic rightly blamed the Browns for their decades of dysfunction, including their part in Baker's beginning as a young pro.

"But Lloyd also zeroed in on the issues that Mayfield brought to the table, and a lot of it had to do with how he acted on days other than Sunday, in addition to his struggles on gameday.

"Yet his constant failures in fourth quarters and tight moments, dating back to his rookie year, made it evident the Browns needed to get better at the most important position to compete with the arms race of AFC quarterbacks," Lloyd wrote. 'Mayfield always thought he was better than he was, and it repeatedly got him into trouble with terrible footwork and ill-advised throws at inopportune times.'

Lloyd continued.

'Mayfield was widely viewed as childish and immature. His behavior annoyed teammates and divided the locker room. He was often difficult to coach.'"

The Baker that Mayfield displayed in Cleveland is destined to fail in Charlotte. Baker is going to essentially have to turn over a new leaf, and in my opinion, Huddlers and Panthers fans everywhere should internalize and acknowledge this opinion as close to the truth as possible. Regardless of past injuries or other rationalizations about his ultimate failures in Cleveland, he can't bring that act to Charlotte and expect to be successful. So pump the brakes and simply stop. We're going to have to see what type of Baker is coming to Charlotte before we crown his ass as anything but a guy with some potential, but who hasn't gotten it done. He hasn't earned the right to be a diva, including getting on his high horse with the media. He's just another inconsistent QB with a certain amount of untapped potential with questionable decision-making (and we've become too accustomed to that in Charlotte for at least the last decade).

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/can-baker-mayfield-turn-it-around-carolina

Stop believing everything you read.  It's all hearsay nonsense.  None of it backed up with actual quotes or audio from people to back it up.

58 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

All these players calling him a hard worker and great teammate..... Remind you of anyone last year??? None have said he is a great player.

I don't think teammates should decide if he's a great player.  His play does.

Unlike Sam, PFF ranked Baker 9th, 10th, 13th and 30th  QB in 2018,2019,2020 and 2021 respectively.  Even his critics say that last year was due to injuries.  He was rookie of the year runner up, held the rookie record for TD's and has won a playoff game against a rival on the road.  When healthy, he's a pretty good player. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Calling it right now, the rookie is gonna be the most mature of the bunch.

This is not a great situation for someone with alcohol and depression issues to be walking into. Corral was my second favorite QB in the draft but I thought he needed to go to a stable organizational environment. I didn't think we were a great fit.

Just being honest.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Calling it right now, the rookie is gonna be the most mature of the bunch.

He seems to be that already.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is not a great situation for someone with alcohol and depression issues to be walking into. Corral was my second favorite QB in the draft but I thought he needed to go to a stable organizational environment. I didn't think we were a great fit.

Just being honest.

Depression? Maybe, but he's had therapy and appears to be in a good place. 

As for alcohol, it's not like he's an alcoholic. He stopped drinking because he didn't want it to be an excuse for his perceived failures.

I think he's stronger mentally than you give him credit for being, and I also think he's in a good situation. The immediate pressure is off, so he can learn at a comfortable pace. He also thrives off of competition, and he is still viewed as the QB of the future in Charlotte. I think some of you are glossing over that fact amid this Mayfield mania.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2

Pretty sure there's a lot of us that are just waiting for the Rhule era to end, and think Baker will be a more entertaining 1 year experiment than watching Darnold shrug his way through another season.  Hopefully Corral can actually develop during whatever this year is, the whole staff may be gone next year despite the Jay-Z plan. I'm still of the belief you can be a fan of the team and hate current staff/ownership, most older franchises are the same way. Fans always outlast whatever rich dickheads come in and fug things up for years until they go away