• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Brown a bust?

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If I may speculate--he seemed to suffer from an identity crisis last year--was trying to rush the passer on every down and got blown up a lot.  If he anchors and bull rushes on passing situations, he should be better.

I think the staff probably had him focusing primarily on improving his pass rushing abilities. IMO, we just need to let him be him. Kris Jenkins never got more than 7 sacks on a season. During our '03 SB season he was a 1st team All-Pro with 5 sacks.  These types of DTs are never going to put up huge sack numbers but they eat up double teams and blow up the opposing interior OL. Just let Derrick Brown do that.

• Pie 5

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think the staff probably had him focusing primarily on improving his pass rushing abilities. IMO, we just need to let him be him. Kris Jenkins never got more than 7 sacks on a season. During our '03 SB season he was a 1st team All-Pro with 5 sacks.  These types of DTs are never going to put up huge sack numbers but they eat up double teams and blow up the opposing interior OL. Just let Derrick Brown do that.

exactly

• Beer 1

Absolutely not. He has no one next to him that can take on blocks. He is basically forced to play nose tackle. I dont think he will become a super star, but he will definitely make some pro bowls and is well above average. He needs another big guy next to him. Whats he supposed to do with Burns, IIaniodis, and Hynes next to him? He is going to have to be the only one taking on all the blocks to at least try to stop the run. Also- takes on a ton of doubles when teams run against us. 

Edited by Jared Patterson
  • Beer 1

And there are many defensive lineman that take a few years to mature and develop.  I see Brown in that mold. 

I still wonder how, in this era of the QB, we had top 10 draft picks and ended up taking a DT and a CB when the QBs were pretty good--only to take a QB during a draft when they were not that good--at the end of round 3 no less.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

And there are many defensive lineman that take a few years to mature and develop.  I see Brown in that mold. 

I still wonder how, in this era of the QB, we had top 10 draft picks and ended up taking a DT and a CB when the QBs were pretty good--only to take a QB during a draft when they were not that good--at the end of round 3 no less.

we were one away from Herbert in 2020. Guess we could have taken Jordan Love?

2021, with the exception of various trade up scenarios, only realistic option would have been Fields, and...meh. I mean I guess Mac Jones but bleh

This year, there really wasn't anyone. 

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No. He had a promising rookie season then a down sophomore season. That's not a bust. Not yet. Anyone expecting Brown to be Aaron Donald didn't have realistic expectations. That's not the type of player he is. I've always said that the best version of Derrick Brown is basically a clone of prime Kris Jenkins.

Interesting take.  You be on to something. Here is why. Prime Kris Jenkins had Peppers Rucker and Morgan.  Brown has well just Burns.  Maybe with better players we could see Brown explode.  Maybe. 

16 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

we were one away from Herbert in 2020. Guess we could have taken Jordan Love?

2021, with the exception of various trade up scenarios, only realistic option would have been Fields, and...meh. I mean I guess Mac Jones but bleh

This year, there really wasn't anyone. 

Now we know that herbert would have  been worth moving up for---Fields in 2021 over Horn?