• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The other top tackles...

Mr. Scot

Bottom line on this:

I can't see a single scenario where Ickey isn't one of the best five linemen we have.

That means you need to be getting him ready for a starting role.

The best way to do that is not going to be putting him into some kind of goofy "competition" for his spot, with the consolation prize if he loses being that he has to start at a position he hasn't practiced as much for.

You pick a damn spot and you give him the damn reps he needs to get ready there. You do the same thing with Christensen, Bozeman and everybody else so they can get their chemistry built.

This "earn your spot" thing is really frigging stupid.

• Pie 6
  • Flames 3

Drafting a guy in the top 10 that is a "natural" LT on a team that desperately needs a LT, and then acting like he has to earn that spot speaks volumes to me.  It tells me our belief in our own evaluation process of who we are drafting or signing to fill positions sucks.

Can a presumed starter fall out of the starting lineup during training camp and preseason?  Sure, it happens all the time and a is healthy part of a team moving forward.  Players regress, they fail to recover from injuries, they lose a step, they can't make the adjustment to the pros, while other players seemingly materialize out of nowhere.  THAT is the competition.

"Everybody is competing for their job" is just this year's mantra.  Next year it will be something different.

The goal of training camp is to get players ready for the games that count.  If you have no idea who your starters are before you start, you either have the luxury of an extremely talented roster (the likes of which has never been seen in the NFL), you are clueless, or you are a BS artist.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Ickey is the LT of the future for sure, I just want the best five on the field no matter what if Christensen is playing at a top 15 NFL left tackle level this season let Ickey play LG he's a day one all pro Guard imo (his future is LT though) Ickey-Bozeman-Corbet would make the inside ground game nasty. 

It all depends on how Christenson plays in games IMO the expection with ickey was he needed to refine his pass blocking technique.

1 minute ago, TheBigKat said:

I remember when Gross was a rookie but everyone knew he was going to be a day 1 starter and he did.

We had HOT TRASH for an o line last year and Rhule thinks he’s playing 4D chess saying Ick has to earn the spot , he’s a day 1 starter Fhule

But not at the position in which he later shined.

Icky is better than Jordan (meaning, he was a higher graded player) and should therefore be getting all of the 1st team reps at LT until he "loses" that job.

Rhule is so terrible at this stuff.

9 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Drafting a guy in the top 10 that is a "natural" LT on a team that desperately needs a LT, and then acting like he has to earn that spot speaks volumes to me.  It tells me our belief in our own evaluation process of who we are drafting or signing to fill positions sucks.

Can a presumed starter fall out of the starting lineup during training camp and preseason?  Sure, it happens all the time and a is healthy part of a team moving forward.  Players regress, they fail to recover from injuries, they lose a step, they can't make the adjustment to the pros, while other players seemingly materialize out of nowhere.  THAT is the competition.

"Everybody is competing for their job" is just this year's mantra.  Next year it will be something different.

The goal of training camp is to get players ready for the games that count.  If you have no idea who your starters are before you start, you either have the luxury of an extremely talented roster (the likes of which has never been seen in the NFL), you are clueless, or you are a BS artist.

A fool or a liar.

Or both?

I just think that he's in WAY over his head.  Wonder when Tepper steps in?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

But not at the position in which he later shined.

Icky is better than Jordan (meaning, he was a higher graded player) and should therefore be getting all of the 1st team reps at LT until he "loses" that job.

Rhule is so terrible at this stuff.

Ickeys a much better athletic prospect by all accounts..... Gross was athleticly limited and made up for it with technique... Ickey definatly has the same acumen to refine his by all accounts.... If he stays healthy I have no doubt he will be the best Lt in panthers history. He's absolutely one of the best 5 and imo would be a top 5 guard day on one... to me it's really just it Christenson can be a middle of the road LT this season it probably makes our line better this year to plug him in at LG.

I could begin to somewhat understand the knob polishing of Rhule and co if our OL had been any semblance of good or a strength the last two years. But instead our staff saw fit to sign two of the worst free agent linemen on the first day of free agency and were heavily resistant to giving Christensen reps at left tackle until the end of the season. Hiring Campen was a step in the right direction but Rhule still runs the show and his comments about Slater only fanned the flames of the criticism.

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

I could begin to somewhat understand the knob polishing of Rhule and co if our OL had been any semblance of good or a strength the last two years. But instead our staff saw fit to sign two of the worst free agent linemen on the first day of free agency and were heavily resistant to giving Christensen reps at left tackle until the end of the season. Hiring Campen was a step in the right direction but Rhule still runs the show and his comments about Slater only fanned the flames of the criticism.

Look at is this way if Christensen is serviceable Christenson-Icky-Bozeman-Corbett-Moton is a massive upgrade and from LG to RT absolutely road grading as well.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bottom line on this:

I can't see a single scenario where Ickey isn't one of the best five linemen we have.

That means you need to be getting him ready for a starting role.

The best way to do that is not going to be putting him into some kind of goofy "competition" for his spot, with the consolation prize if he loses being that he has to start at a position he hasn't practiced as much for.

You pick a damn spot and you give him the damn reps he needs to get ready there. You do the same thing with Christensen, Bozeman and everybody else so they can get their chemistry built.

This "earn your spot" thing is really frigging stupid.

It’s continues to show Rhule struggles to evaluate players I have a strong feeling Deonte Brown could give us similar results to his college tape Rhule just doesn’t like giving young guys chances imo. The weight things seems like bull… let him play himself into shape we had guards getting run over literally last year. You telling me they’re better then Brown? Not a chance, 3 year Alabama starting OL gave up one sack in 3 years. In Rhules eyes he’s fat and didn’t do enough as rookie to play but those other guards have experience so that’s all that matters. Hence why our line ranked 31 out of 32 teams at the end of the year (pff grade) which from the eye test was one spot to generous.

• Beer 1