• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Panthers at Commies GameDay Thread

Zod

2 hours ago, Tbe said:

People put too much faith in the idea of ‘developing’ a QB.

The QB has to start from a certain baseline to have any hope of turning into a starter let alone an elite player (which is what we all want).

The examples of coaching a turd into a HOF’er is extremely rare.

Draft a QB every year until a guy shows he has ‘it’. No need to spend 2-3 years ‘developing’ a guy.

Bill Walsh and John McVay said you can't make something out of nothing, but all you need is to find a QB with basic intelligence and basic ability and you can develop them quickly.

Walsh developed 4 SB contending QBs. Ken Anderson, Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, and Steve Young. Third rounders and a 1st round bust who came of age at 31 years old. Anderson, Fouts and Montana represented 3 of the 4 QBs in the conference finals.

There's a reason the playoff successful QBs tend to be with the same teams/off the Walsh-McVay tree. It's not a lottery.

You need to know how to spot these QBs in a matter of a few hours of repetitions, and you need to know how to develop them.

Hardly rare how the Walsh/McVay system of developing a QB has led to numerous playoff/SB QBs including Favre, Rogers, Brees, Delhomme, Garoppolo, Mahomes, Goff, Stafford, Foles, Newton, Esiason, Montana, Anderson, Young, McNair, Dilfer, Flacco, Johnson, Gannon, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Grossman, Kaepernick, Wilson, and Ryan.

Maybe they know the system to identify and develop a QB that was taught to them?

I highly doubt the Rhule coaching tree will be as good at developing a QB quickly. 

• Beer 1

Had to work during the game but caught some bits on my phone. What the fug was up with the clock management during the last drive of the first half? We had two timeouts, PJ was running and checking down the middle of the field and Rhule waited randomly til 12 seconds to call a timeout? Like he was watching the clock, to call a time out when we weren't even in field goal range? New coaches around him but looked like Rhule didn't learn a fuging thing this whole offseason. Don't get me started on the random O-line change ups for the first 3 or 4 drives. I'm sure it was discussed but not going back to read anything on this thread lol

7 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

so the cliff notes version of your post is : rhule is a moron

I can get on board with that

I think at this point, even "Cliff" knows that.

Sadly, "Dave" doesn't.

Perhaps Dave might have seen that sooner had he actually looked at the Cliff Notes.

Unfortunately for us, he instead chose to consult the Marty Notes 😟

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

don’t necessarily think a guy has to sit to develop. In some cases they might… for instance I don’t think the Jets should have trotted Zach Wilson out there last year… but as others have mentioned, Mahomes could have started and the Chiefs could have ironed everything out as they went along..

It's not about the methodology...

Over the years, I've seen guys who were told to sit and develop blossom into superstars.

I've also seen guys who were thrown into the pressure immediately respond by becoming diamonds.

Likewise I've seen guys whose coaches brought them along slowly ultimately never measure up.

And I've seen guys who were asked to start from the get go wilt and be destroyed by the beatings they took.

The only consistently common thread I could name is this...

The guys who succeeded were led by men who knew what they were doing.

It's not the approach.

It's the coach.

And regardless of what our plans are for Matt Corral, if somebody smarter than Matt Rhule isn't in charge of them, I don't see a whole lot of chance of them working out.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Over the years, I've seen guys who were told to sit and develop blossom into superstars.

I've also seen guys who were thrown into the pressure immediately respond by becoming diamonds.

Likewise I've seen guys whose coaches brought them along slowly ultimately never measure up.

And I've seen guys who were asked to start from the get go wilt and be destroyed by the beatings they took.

It's not the approach.

It's the coach.

And regardless of what our plans are for Matt Corral, if somebody smarter than Matt Rhule isn't in charge of them, I don't see a whole lot of chance of them working out.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not the approach.

It's the coach.

One observation of Rhules pecking order, CJ saunders gets all the 1 reps until he gets injured and Shi Smith comes out and freaking balls all day long despite seeming like an afterthought during camp

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Had to work during the game but caught some bits on my phone. What the fug was up with the clock management during the last drive of the first half? We had two timeouts, PJ was running and checking down the middle of the field and Rhule waited randomly til 12 seconds to call a timeout? Like he was watching the clock, to call a time out when we weren't even in field goal range? New coaches around him but looked like Rhule didn't learn a fuging thing this whole offseason. Don't get me started on the random O-line change ups for the first 3 or 4 drives. I'm sure it was discussed but not going back to read anything on this thread lol

Complete cluster fug, no idea why he let the clock run down to 11 seconds

• Beer 1