• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corrall

NAS

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

He'll be an even longer project if they continue to not give him practice reps.

(it has nothing to do with expectations)

We were always going to bring in a vet to be the starter.

We were always Going to have Sam on the roster.

There should be no expectation that Corral would see early reps over a QB who took the Browns to playoffs, a guy we traded multiple picks for whose making 18.5 million, and a backup who has won when he's been thrown out there.

We didn't need to draft him and he's going 5i languish as a result.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Call Me James said:

We were always going to bring in a vet to be the starter.

We were always Going to have Sam on the roster.

There should be no expectation that Corral would see early reps over a QB who took the Browns to playoffs, a guy we traded multiple picks for whose making 18.5 million, and a backup who has won when he's been thrown out there.

We didn't need to draft him and he's going 5i languish as a result.

Having "a vet" on the roster would be fine.

Having both Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold on the roster...is stupid.

Having both Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold on the roster plus thinking you you need to have them in some goofball competition for the starting job...is insanely stupid.

Having both Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold on the roster ridiculously competing for the starting job while also having PJ Walker and using valuable training camp and practice reps to try and help him find his next NFL job...is beyond stupid...

It's Matt Rhule.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Icege said:

Not sure what we expected Corral to do knowing that a majority of the snaps were going towards Mayfield/Darnold in camp for the QB1 competition. I understand wanting to bring a 3rd rounder along slowly, especially at the most important position on the field, but they left that young man incredibly unprepared.

Rivera was blitzing and trying to win a preseason game vs. the 4th string rookie QB that's been getting "mental reps."

Hopefully they'll start giving him actual reps so that he doesn't get any more of his receivers hurt.

I just expected him to look competent. I understand the lack of reps and terrible oline excuses, but even when he had a clean pocket, he looked awful. He better be mentally tough because that was a devastating start for a rookie QB. 

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

The problem is that he needs to be playing ahead of PJ right now so he's not playing with those scrubs.

This is absolutely the bottom line. You know what you have in PJ, you've seen enough to know he's never going to be an NFL starter or even quality backup. If that were not the case, you wouldn't have traded to acquire a 3rd round pick to draft Corral. You might hope Corral develops into an NFL starter in a few years, but if you have a brain in your head (looking at you Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer), you know that the numbers say the odds of Corral becoming more than a backup are long indeed. Corral is the guy you drafted to be the long term backup with the outside chance he might mature into a starter. Anything else is wishful thinking to a level imprudent in NFL executives.

Here is a link to a 2015 article some Chiefs fan did that does statistical analysis on the likelihood of a QB becoming a starter for at least half his career based on the round he was drafted in. I'll give you the short version: 1st round: 63%, 3rd round: 17%.

What the stats tell us about drafting positions by round - Arrowhead Pride

You don't pin your hopes for keeping your job (and let's not fool ourselves, keeping your job long term as an NFL head coach or GM is ridiculously correlated with finding a quality starting QB) on a 17% gamble. Therefore the reasonable assumption is that Corral wasn't drafted to become a starter, he was drafted to be developed into a backup. That being the case, PJ continuing to get reps in preseason games serves only the interest of PJ, unless you genuinely believe there's a meaningful probability his performance would induce some other team to trade for him.

What this all points to is Rhule being committed to PJ in a personal, emotional way that an NFL head coach cannot afford, or having disastrously poor judgement and a failure to heed clear analytics conclusions from someone professing to follow analytics.

I was willing to give Rhule the benefit of the doubt when he became our head coach, despite my misgivings based on the track record of college coaches coming straight to the NFL. His performance to date with many decisions like this have led me to the conclusion he is in over his head in the NFL. We as amateurs shouldn't be able to so easily and so clearly pick apart an NFL HC's decisions as poor. Nobody is perfect, but this is just awful.

• Pie 4

14 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Kenny Pickett has had a world class horrible camp by all accounts.  Pitt is currently playing so lets see how they handle him for this game.  Lets see what a real coaching staff does with a rookie qb who has been struggling

For those keeping score, every rookie qb that played did better and has been handled completely different in training camp.  But hey matt rhule says trust the process

• Pie 4

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

For those keeping score, every rookie qb that played did better and has been handled completely different in training camp.  But hey matt rhule says trust the process

I just don't understand trading up to take a guy in the 3rd and then treating him like a complete afterthought.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just don't understand trading up to take a guy in the 3rd and then treating him like a complete afterthought.

Yea it makes no sense.  I think it points to a disconnect between the front office and the coach.  We should have just drafted some D Line depth or a linebacker or something instead.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Yea it makes no sense.  I think it points to a disconnect between the front office and the coach.  We should have just drafted some D Line depth or a linebacker or something instead.

It's like once the staff determined he was unlikely to help them save their jobs this year then he just wasn't seen as a priority at all.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wish we had a media member that wasnt scared to ask difficult questions.  I mean damn its a legit storyline to ask about.  "Coach Rhule, why are you playing 4 quarterbacks in a preseason game and what is your rationale for playing time?" 

Very simple question

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's what happens when you have a highly paid head coach with one season of low level NFL assistant experience who still thinks he's coaching at Temple or Baylor.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I wish we had a media member that wasnt scared to ask difficult questions.  I mean damn its a legit storyline to ask about.  "Coach Rhule, why are you playing 4 quarterbacks in a preseason game and what is your rationale for playing time?" 

Very simple question

And it's not even THAT difficult a question. Suppose Rhule has some rationale for doing so that makes sense, this question would give him a chance to state his case. There are diplomatic ways to say "we're letting a young man show what he can do in hopes Chainsaw Da...I mean some well run team will offer something of value for him."

And as for the notion that NFL head coaches don't need to explain their thinking to fans: true most of the time, but when you listened to fans in the stands chant for you to be fired to your owner most of the second half of last season's home games, it might behoove you to at least attempt to explain yourself to the paying fans firing off emails to your boss about what an embarrassment you are, and how they're selling their PSL's if you don't go.

Not that I think he's got any good explanation, just that I agree it would be nice if someone asked a real question every once in a while.

10 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

And it's not even THAT difficult a question. Suppose Rhule has some rationale for doing so that makes sense, this question would give him a chance to state his case. There are diplomatic ways to say "we're letting a young man show what he can do in hopes Chainsaw Da...I mean some well run team will offer something of value for him."

And as for the notion that NFL head coaches don't need to explain their thinking to fans: true most of the time, but when you listened to fans in the stands chant for you to be fired to your owner most of the second half of last season's home games, it might behoove you to at least attempt to explain yourself to the paying fans firing off emails to your boss about what an embarrassment you are, and how they're selling their PSL's if you don't go.

Not that I think he's got any good explanation, just that I agree it would be nice if someone asked a real question every once in a while.

Holy poo just went through the box scores and guess how many other teams played 4 qbs? 

Holy poo rhule you are a fuging idiot.

Damn ridder played almost the entire game. 

Bailey fuging zappe played almost the entire game

Some rando 7th round pick named Skyler played the entire fuging game

What the fug are we doing here dumbass?

Get your poo together rhule

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1