• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is PJ Walker EVEN on the team?

TheBigKat

9 hours ago, Panthera onca said:

I thought that TheBigKat had his thread starting privileges revoked. If not it should happen so we all don’t have to be subjected to his nonsense any longer.

Because you are definitely king of the thread starters aren't you......You are like a few others who join on the bandwagon to witch hunt him because the dude is a rich boy and has more toys than you so it eats away at a few of you. You should start your own site and then ban him from it if your that passionate.

Asian Jealousy GIF

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Can we not do this poo… while it makes sense to give Walker’s reps to Corral… P.J. was fine for the most part today… that strike to Derek Wright was a really nice play with great execution.

Blame the coach sure, but P.J. is just out there trying to continue his football career.

oh I'm absolutely blaming the coach. I don't blame PJ a bit. The point is not that PJ is awful at an NFL level, the point is that there is zero value to the team in giving him reps instead of those reps going to Corral. Thus an obvious coaching error on Rhule's part likely based on making an emotional decision rather than a rational one.

The only conceivablely rational reason to play PJ is you're trying to market him to other teams to get something in trade. Perhaps in the forlorn hope those other teams don't have access to PJ's actual NFL game tapes, or somehow aren't aware you currently have 4 QB's on your roster, one of whom you have significant contract obligations to, one you just traded for, and one you just drafted in the 3rd. It's beyond obvious PJ is headed for cut day as a free agent, and the notion some NFL team should give up anything of value to acquire him is a hilarious one.

So why in the world is he getting reps that should go to your third round rookie?

• Pie 3

6 hours ago, onmyown said:

Yes but the issue is we are not going with 4. Qbs and Darnold is a much better back up that PJ and that says something. Given Corral is going to be on the roster and no one is trading for Darnold it makes zero sense to not give them the reps. PJ is here due to his tie to Rhule, that’s it and it shows. That cronyism is not what should be displayed a team of young guys competing for a spot imo.

This. PJ might be better than Corral atm, but ask yourself this:

Do you really think PJ develops into an even credible NFL backup? If you do, I have some real estate in Elbonia I'd like to discuss with you. Corral may or may not develop, but the fact PJ is currently ahead of him is irrelevant. We've seen PJ's ceiling, it's not NFL caliber. If he is on the final roster it is an indictment of the braintrust either way: either they cannot properly evaluate him, or they wasted a third round pick (high enough you can often get a starter at less crucial positions) on a QB we won't wind up keeping. PJ was on the roster when they drafted Corral, if they had faith in PJ at the time, why waste the pick on Corral? (don't tell me you expect him to become a starter someday, the numbers say 17% chance of that) If they didn't have faith in PJ, why is he now getting reps?

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Yeah I don't think PJ is worth of all the hate here.  He has been a good backup.  When he been asked to start he has done enough to not lose us the game.  He deserves enough of our respect enough to not be trashed just because we picked up a 3rd round qb.

No disrespect but I think being a fan of a consistently below average team may have distorted your view of what a good backup QB is. PJ's career statline features a completion percentage of 55%, and an interception percentage of 6.6%. I'm not expecting Pro Bowl performance out of a backup QB, but in the modern pass whacky NFL, I'm sorry but those numbers do not support the notion of doing enough to not lose us the game.  They are not numbers which move an NFL offense in a meaningful way compared to other offenses, and with current NFL rules stacked against defenses, your QB MUST move the ball, backup or no.

40 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

This. PJ might be better than Corral atm, but ask yourself this:

Do you really think PJ develops into an even credible NFL backup? If you do, I have some real estate in Elbonia I'd like to discuss with you. Corral may or may not develop, but the fact PJ is currently ahead of him is irrelevant. We've seen PJ's ceiling, it's not NFL caliber. If he is on the final roster it is an indictment of the braintrust either way: either they cannot properly evaluate him, or they wasted a third round pick (high enough you can often get a starter at less crucial positions) on a QB we won't wind up keeping. PJ was on the roster when they drafted Corral, if they had faith in PJ at the time, why waste the pick on Corral? (don't tell me you expect him to become a starter someday, the numbers say 17% chance of that) If they didn't have faith in PJ, why is he now getting reps?

That’s fine, make the billionth ‘Fire Matt Rhule’ thread, I’m on board with it, I don’t think he’s a capable NFL coach at all and I think the way Mayfield speaks about McAdoo says a lot about Rhule in that McAdoo seems to have more of a grasp of the team than Rhule does.

But like I said, Walker, for the most part, was fine yesterday. He missed a couple throws and made one foolish mistake on the fourth down play where he should have scampered for the first, but all in all he was decently productive and moved the ball up and down the field and didn’t turn the ball over.

It’s not his fault that Rhule has no idea how to manage a team and his third round rookie QB.

And honestly, P.J. might not be gone. If the Panthers can somehow offload Darnold at the end of the preseason (easier said than done), then P.J. becomes QB2.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I'm sorry but those numbers do not support the notion of doing enough to not lose us the game.  They are not numbers which move an NFL offense in a meaningful way compared to other offenses, and with current NFL rules stacked against defenses, your QB MUST move the ball, backup or no.

You talkin bout PJ “7-0” Walker? 

• Flames 1

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

As serious as Matt “Comeback” Corral

I am no particular proponent of Corral. In fact my overall opinion is annoyance that we spent a 3rd rounder on a team with plenty of holes on the QB position, when 17% of QB's drafted in that round start more than half the games in their career. The odds that Corral becomes a starter are not good, based solely on where he was drafted, but I've made the case in other posts today why think the pick was a bad move by management. But once you have him, not investing in him to at least develop into a backup is foolish.

What's the outcome here that makes management look good?

PJ looks good during the preseason and we keep him, cutting Corral and wasting a 3rd rounder we traded to acquire?

PJ looks like a guy with no real NFL future and we cut him, begging the question why he was given so many reps during preseason games when he's largely a known quantity to our coaching staff?

The team keeps both players making me wonder where I can get some of whatever Rhule and Fitt are smoking.

I think you're all missing it. They need to know "if Darnold gets traded" can PJ be a good enough back up this year, because they don't want to play Corral. IMO they tried to get a quick read on PJ yesterday. Maybe they wanted tape on him for a trade. If the Panthers keep Baker and Sam, that's a good starter/back up situation as any where in the league and what only 12 teams started QBs for all 17 games. Need a quality back up.