• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer's Five Observations from Panthers Camp

Mr. Scot

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Nice to see some positive press, but they'll have to show it by winning a lot of games before I'll buy into any sort of hype again.

Breer predicted we'd be in the playoffs last season.

Pretty sure he was the only national analyst to do so.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can sort of agree, but what I've read about how sh-tty New England's offense has looked this year makes me less certain.

there is no shortage of talent on that offensive line though. Ill take it as a good sign and what we saw against the commanders last week as another good sign. Considering they are a run focused offense. 

56 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

CJ looked miserable when he came here in that first interview, I’m really glad he’s turning the corner.  Urban Meyer almost ruined the poor guy.  

this team has potential to be good.  We have some fight in us.  Biggest concern imo is the defensive line.  If they can perform well enough, we can make some noise granted we manage to stay healthy

Having one of the best CB/Safety groups in the NFL will go a long way to helping the d line out.  

41 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Perhaps Tepper is paying him for the positive press. Is this what Breer does at the end of the day as he thinks about his "journalistic integrity?"

Breer's long been one of the few analysts more likely to take a positive view of Carolina.

I think maybe he just tries to keep an even keel.

1. The staff is really optimistic that C.J. Henderson, the ninth pick in the 2020 draft who was traded from Jacksonville to Carolina last fall, has turned a corner. The Florida product, who’s had mental health issues through his career, came to camp locked in and ready to go, and is showing signs of putting his impressive package of physical gifts together. A couple people went so far as to say, through the last three weeks, he’s become one of the Panthers’ best players.

2. Veteran safety Xavier Woods has been a revelation, coming to the Panthers on relatively short money (he did a three-year, $15.75-million deal in March). He’s a good player to begin with, but where he’s really made a difference is in how he’s improved the communication on the back end of the defense. It’s early still, but Woods has given every indication that he’ll be a glue guy for Phil Snow’s unit.

3. I wouldn’t be surprised if Baker Mayfield wins the starting job really soon—he’s been the team’s best quarterback through camp. He’s impressed the staff with his ability to process (which was questioned at times in Cleveland), his timing and his field vision. With those qualities highlighted, Mayfield should be an effective distributor for what still is a really talented skill group.

4. With some of the draft capital the team has spent on vets the last couple years (Sam Darnold, Mayfield, Henderson, Stephon Gilmore), it’s important for Carolina to hit on a Day 3 pick or two, and it looks like they may have one in Shi Smith. The 2021 sixth-rounder has shown quickness and explosion working underneath, and seems ideally suited to fill a role in the slot for the Panthers.5. For all the slings and arrows, there’s talent on the Carolina roster, and there aren’t many position battles, outside of the one that will conclude soon at quarterback. One great development has been Ickey Ekwonu being ready to roll at left tackle, which has essentially settled what has been a problem position group for the team the last few years. The sixth overall pick is steadily improving, had a really good couple days in Foxboro, and there’s a reason why Matt Rhule was willing to anoint him Week 1 starter earlier in the week at one of the most important positions on the field.

5. For all the slings and arrows, there’s talent on the Carolina roster, and there aren’t many position battles, outside of the one that will conclude soon at quarterback. One great development has been Ickey Ekwonu being ready to roll at left tackle, which has essentially settled what has been a problem position group for the team the last few years. The sixth overall pick is steadily improving, had a really good couple days in Foxboro, and there’s a reason why Matt Rhule was willing to anoint him Week 1 starter earlier in the week at one of the most important positions on the field.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

44 minutes ago, joemac said:

Having one of the best CB/Safety groups in the NFL will go a long way to helping the d line out.  

Most definitely.  Seeing how great Jaycee and CJ have looked, plus what’s being said about Xavier Woods helping with communication, THEN Steve Wilks back on top of it.  Feels weird being a Panthers fan with a potentially elite secondary after years of bargain bin shopping for DBs.  I’m stoked man

• The D 1