• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Mayfield balls out ....

Jmac

6 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Its not easy, but not impossible either. The tag, doesnt really work, a long-term deal does. That way the first year will be something like 5-8 million in cap numbers.

Some cuts.

Brian Burns in on his 5th year deal, another long-term type deal with the first year being small would help too. 

It can be done.

I'm playing around with spotrac and I really don't see how we can get $60M off the books to afford a franchise tag. Enough to take that $5-8M first year cap hit is doable. Still going to be extending/restructuring Moton/DJ/Donte/CMC yet again, and also Shaq might be a cap casualty unless they seriously wanna consider extending him. I could see Robbie getting cut to save $12M

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm playing around with spotrac and I really don't see how we can get $60M off the books to afford a franchise tag. Enough to take that $5-8M first year cap hit is doable. Still going to be extending/restructuring Moton/DJ/Donte/CMC yet again, and also Shaq might be a cap casualty unless they seriously wanna consider extending him. I could see Robbie getting cut to save $12M

Youre on the right track, Mo town needs attention and BBs 16 number *could be cut in half.......but paying edge guys like him is a 25per type deal. But for the greater good, it may have to be done. The edge group without him, that maybe the worst unit league wide. 

I think Robbie could be traded next year, the WR is insane and even a team would be allll for adding robbie at that now cheap salary. Lots of work for Finesserererererer and Morgan to tackle, the solution of pushing the cap hit into future is one Im not fond of.

Honestly having Tepper is a bonus. Not many owners are able to write a 14 million check *today* to lower a 20 million salary. Take that 14 million and spread it over the remaining years, but you need that in cash.....which is not a issue with Tepper. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I read their cap situation pretty much the same way.  Shaq's number sticks out, as does Robbie's as "low hanging fruit."

We brought Mayfield in on a one-year "show us" deal.  If he shows us, he's done his part.

Also, remember that beyond this year everything is a projection on what the cap will be.  Somehow, the NFL usually squeezes a few extra million into that, it seems.  A few million does not sound like much when you are looking at a cap of around $230M, but when you are up against it, every penny counts.

• Beer 1

53 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

If he has just a good year, I imagine the Panthers will explore options in the draft, or check on Lamar Jackson/Huntley trades (both are free agents and Tepper will do anything to get a franchise QB)

The last thing any of us should want is David Tepper anywhere near important football decisions.

1 hour ago, Jmac said:

How about just a good year? Pro-bowl is reaching a bit.

What type season do the Panthers actually have? 

I mean it’s not uncommon to see QBs on teams that can’t win finish with some strong passing numbers.  

10 minutes ago, RJK said:

If he plays well the question really is would he even want to sign here long term? 

Not really sure what his market will be next year depending on how the draft order falls. Seattle kinda dissed him, Bucs, Giants, Texans, Lions? I think everyone else is tied up with a vet next year or has a young drafted guy. 

• Beer 1

26 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Honestly the best way to gain a lot of space is if the Panthers could figure out a way to Brock Osweiler Sam. Trade Sam and a pick to a team for a 7th in return. There aren't many teams that could take on his salary though so maybe the Panthers eat 5 million of his salary, trade Sam and a 4th to someone for a future 7th. Rollover that additional 14 million to next season and then try to make something happen. 

Franchise tag would still be tough but you could at least be in a better position to negotiate a deal if it is wanted. 

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

If he balls out, that makes the decision easy.  You sign him to a big contract.  The real question is what you do if he has a middle of the pack year. 

I mean,  you can finish 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th in passing yards and your team still not win games.   

I if we finish with 3 or 5 or 6 or 7 wins? I don’t want Rhule or Baker.  I want to to actually rebuild.  Which is what we were suppose to do back in 2020.

15 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

If he balls out, that makes the decision easy.  You sign him to a big contract.  The real question is what you do if he has a middle of the pack year. 

If he's middle of the pack, its a losing season and Rhule and Baker will be gone.  We'll be heading to the draft for a qb.  Its playoffs or bust for both of them.

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean,  you can finish 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th in passing yards and your team still not win games.   

I if we finish with 3 or 5 or 6 or 7 wins? I don’t want Rhule or Baker.  I want to to actually rebuild.  Which is what we were suppose to do back in 2020.

If Baker plays well, we need to keep him.  Even if we get rid of Rhule.  Top 10/15 qb's aren't that easy to get.  Those that say we can just draft one need to take a look at draft results over the last 10 years or so.  Looking at NFL drafts from 2010-2019, a lot of qb's drafted in the top 10 don't work out.  At best, its 50/50.  IMO, if we have a guy that can play, we keep him and build around him.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1