• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral vs the rest of the rookie field

micnificent28

Obviously I'm pulling for Corral to become a long term quality starter. Odds may be against him but he's got the tools and the moxie to be successful.

I think Corral will definitely end up being in the NFL for a long time, the only question is whether that will be as a quality back-up, or as a solid starter.

I'd say his floor is a reliable back-up like Heinicke, and his ceiling is an above average starter like Carr. It's up to his work ethic as a player, and the development skills of our coaching staff, to see which one he becomes.
  • Pie 1

29 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

PFF ranked our starting OL… they didn’t rank our backups… and while our backups aren’t good… it’s foolish to assume that other teams backups are good.

Willis was sacked 4 times yesterday and Howell was sacked 5 times.

Both still managed to put up impressive performances.

We can’t keep putting the blame on the OL when we just saw Mayfield ball a few nights ago while getting pressured every other snap.

Corral faces an uphill battle… anyone who believes otherwise is kidding themselves. He wasn’t asked to run a real offense in college, all his reads were quick reads, and a lot of his passes were slants and quick outs.

I’ve said before that he has tools but if he can’t process the game quick enough then he’s got no shot at being an NFL QB (like Darnold).

I think we are also seeing why people liked Willis and Howell. Both played behind the worst offensive lines in college football last year so they are used to being under pressure and they also have the wheels to make something out of nothing once they pocket collapses.

I didn't say other teams backups are good. But we are talking about the Panthers who have been trying to rebuild the oline for what seems like 15 years now. People act like this place is filled with Corral superfans but it isn't reality. Many fans wanted this staff to finally draft their own QB. Rhule and Fitterer had their chances to move up for Willis and they could have even double dipped for Howell but declined. If Corral is a bust that's on them.

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, frankw said:

I didn't say other teams backups are good. But we are talking about the Panthers who have been trying to rebuild the oline for what seems like 15 years now. People act like this place is filled with Corral superfans but it isn't reality. Many fans wanted this staff to finally draft their own QB. Rhule and Fitterer had their chances to move up for Willis and they could have even double dipped for Howell but declined. If Corral is a bust that's on them.

Corral was a third round pick so I wouldn’t even use the bust terminology. However, I personally think that Corral faces an uphill battle.

He has to learn a whole lot more than all of the other QB’s while not getting the coaching that all of the other QB’s are getting.

If the plan all along was to give Corral the minimum then they should have drafted a player like Willis or Howell who were more pro ready based on the offenses they came from and their overall ability to be elite at certain things… mobility and deep balls.

And don’t get pro ready confused with the ability to play now… I simply mean that the learning curve isn’t as great. By all accounts Willis and Howell picked everything up very quick. Corral on the other hand seemed to be processing everything much slower and doesn’t have the elite mobility like the other two guys do to make up for it.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

A lot of these comments don’t seem to be directly about Corral. 

Seems more like some people are arguing because they are emotionally attached to him being successful, while the other side is arguing from being annoyed by those who are emotionally attached to him being successful. 

It’s too early. That’s the answer.  He could bust. He could have had a bad 2.5 quarters. His teammates could have been blowing their assignments. 

The college tape indicates he’s a player, so I’m confident he will have value for us. 

There is really no realistic scenario where he contributes to this team as a starter or even a backup.  Unfortunately thats just the way it is.

Personally, I think Corral will never be a starter for us. Not as long as Rhule is the head coach. If he had of stayed healthy this season I could see a very small chance it would happen, but now that he is out for the season. Yeah, he will never be a starter and that sucks because I was rooting for him. All the other rookies seem to be doing better, but they also don't have Rhule as the head coach.

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

Your basing this off of so few snaps is just dumb. 

Was saying this before he was drafted. Not every player has the ability to be great based on a plethora of things. People here were just sick of Darnold or don’t really comprehend the former point for some reason.

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Corral was a third round pick so I wouldn’t even use the bust terminology. However, I personally think that Corral faces an uphill battle.

He has to learn a whole lot more than all of the other QB’s while not getting the coaching that all of the other QB’s are getting.

If the plan all along was to give Corral the minimum then they should have drafted a player like Willis or Howell who were more pro ready based on the offenses they came from and their overall ability to be elite at certain things… mobility and deep balls.

And don’t get pro ready confused with the ability to play now… I simply mean that the learning curve isn’t as great. By all accounts Willis and Howell picked everything up very quick. Corral on the other hand seemed to be processing everything much slower and doesn’t have the elite mobility like the other two guys do to make up for it.

Well we did give up two picks for him. I agree about taking Willis or Howell based on readiness. But we can't call any of these QB's a success based on preseason alone. It's a very tricky position some quarterbacks who look somewhat competent initially hit a wall and others who didn't can blossom with more time. One of our former QB's lit us up last year in BOA and is now fighting for a backup spot. Corral has a much more narrow window to learn and show something now and that's unfortunate but it happens. How it unfolded is just one more reason to feel doubt about the track record of this staff though.

I was nearly stoned off the huddle for saying Willis was starter caliber. Most people said he wasn't going to be able to run and would get ran down by nfl linebackers... Now he's flashing starter ability. He's making crazy side are zingers for touchdowns.. He's running breaking 50 yard gains. He had clear ability all along but people stuck in old cash thinking can't see it. 

They look at his ability to run as a detrimental to his ability to throw when the two compliment each other. If you ask me Corral is a bigger project than willis due to limited mobility to buy time and low ability to process.

14 hours ago, rippadonn said:

The hit job continues. Corral is the most accurate QB in the room.

Example, fade drill. Nobody hit it until Corral swished it twice and almost hit it a couple more times, very close.

I watched Sam/Baker/PJ not as close as Corral. Baker hit it once a day or two later.

You basing accuracy off a training camp throwing contest is all I need to know 

• Poo 1