• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Could Be our “Brees”

17 minutes ago, onmyown said:

He’s not legit yet, and that’s perfectly fine but don’t flood the forums with knee jerk bi polar threads mid season with your tantrum epiphanies everyone already knew long ago. If you can refrain from that we are good. No need to double down on stupidity since you guys are already comparing Bake to Brees lmao

He compared the first 4 seasons as starters for them and they are very similar. We all agree our staff can’t take him to the NO Brees level like Peyton did, but it does show you he has had a better career than most people realize. I honestly never realized Brees had that many INTs early in his career. The point is he “could” be “our” Brees AKA long term QB if he stays healthy and continues to grow as a passer. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, onmyown said:

The jury is not out on Rhule.

I too believe Fitterer is a legitimate GM. Has he made mistakes? Yes, but it looks like he has learned. The question I have is about player acquisition and draft picks. I wonder if players are chosen by Fitterer and approved by Rhule, or it is by draft picks and free agent signings by committee? While Rhule may have the final approval I believe Fitterer does his homework. 

I don't expect Mayfield to rival Brees, especially in completion percentage.  They are very different QBs in very different offenses, thus far at least.

Brees was smart and accurate.  He didn't have the biggest arm.  He played in an offense that was designed around accuracy and getting receivers the ball and letting them run.  His offense in San Diego was certainly not wide-open (Marty Schottenheimer was his coach for his 4 seasons as the starter there), but it was not a precision-based passing game.

Mayfield has a bigger arm and has worked in offenses that, when they were not running the football, were also more inclined to take downfield shots.  That leads to a lower completion percentage and more picks.  Mayfield is more of a gunslinger, although not purely so. 

None of that is a knock on Mayfield.  But about their only similarities are size and the fact they are both QBs.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It'd be awesome if he has similar success but they're not very comparable in terms of style of play.

If he continues to read and scan the field the way he does.. continues to be accurate with the ball.. he actually has a stronger arm and is more athletic than Brees ever was.   Baker can be that type of pocket passer especially as he gets older and that gunslinger attitude calms down a bit 

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't expect Mayfield to rival Brees, especially in completion percentage.  They are very different QBs in very different offenses, thus far at least.

Brees was smart and accurate.  He didn't have the biggest arm.  He played in an offense that was designed around accuracy and getting receivers the ball and letting them run.  His offense in San Diego was certainly not wide-open (Marty Schottenheimer was his coach for his 4 seasons as the starter there), but it was not a precision-based passing game.

Mayfield has a bigger arm and has worked in offenses that, when they were not running the football, were also more inclined to take downfield shots.  That leads to a lower completion percentage and more picks.  Mayfield is more of a gunslinger, although not purely so. 

None of that is a knock on Mayfield.  But about their only similarities are size and the fact they are both QBs.

Baker has a photographic memory and has a very high IQ.  He has the potential to be better than Brees in every single category.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, topdaug said:

what is too far north?  Cleveland is only 40 miles in from that lake.  Have you just never watched Cleveland play at home in November and December.  It is common knowledge about how badly the winds swirl in that stadium.  Plays hell with the passing game and special teams play

It's right at the lake. The stadium is on the lakeshore, gets real friggin cold and windy.

2 hours ago, joemac said:

Uhhhh no. Baker started 1 more game than Brees with their first teams. Both started 4 seasons. Baker had more yards and more TDs than Brees. Baker threw 3 more INTs. I mean it’s in the first post of this thread.

Do you believe in Matt Rhule? Do you think he's capable of running a pro football team?

I think what's getting lost in the Baker,Baker,Baker argument is that many of us don't think he can or will and that any talent will be wasted by bad decision making.

I don't know if Baker will ever turn his career around, I just don't think it will be with a Matt Rhule run football team.

4 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Drew had more trade interest than Baker who had just one taker.

Eh, Brees didn't have any trade interest; only interest in free agency (Dolphins and Saints) and the Dolphins' medical team refused to pass him on the physical.

But I do agree with you. 🙂

6 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Brees is a product of Payton 

How about the 2012 season where Payton was forbidden any contact with anyone in the organization and Brees still led the league in yards and TD's. Payton get credit for that too or nah?

Or how about Kerry Collins? Was he a product of Payton too considering he was the Giants' OC from 2000-2002?

2 hours ago, Ezrider1423 said:

If he continues to read and scan the field the way he does.. continues to be accurate with the ball.. he actually has a stronger arm and is more athletic than Brees ever was.   Baker can be that type of pocket passer especially as he gets older and that gunslinger attitude calms down a bit 

LMAO, Brees had a faster 40-yd, 10-yd split, 20-yd split, 20-yd shuttle, and a higher vertical jump than Baker at their respective Combines. Only areas Baker had better was the 3-cone and broad jump.

But lets not let facts get in the way of the discussion. 😂

Edited by Iron Saint
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Eh, Brees didn't have any trade interest; only interest in free agency (Dolphins and Saints) and the Dolphins' medical team refused to pass him on the physical.

But I do agree with you. 🙂

How about the 2012 season where Payton was forbidden any contact with anyone in the organization and Brees still led the league in yards and TD's. Payton get credit for that too or nah?

Or how about Kerry Collins? Was he a product of Payton too considering he was the Giants' OC from 2000-2002?

LMAO, Brees had a faster 40-yd, 10-yd split, 20-yd split, 20-yd shuttle, and a higher vertical jump than Baker at their respective Combines. Only areas Baker had better was the 3-cone and broad jump.

But lets not let facts get in the way of the discussion. 😂

Shouldn't you be on saintsreport talking about how his second season removed from Lasic Jameis is going to ball out?

• Pie 3