• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The plan for Shenault

Mr. Scot

17 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Two years left on a deal for a top 45 pick, part of the negotiation also centers around the fact you have to pay the salary as well. 

$1.3M this year, $1.6M next year. $0 guaranteed.

I very seriously doubt any teams balked at those numbers. If anything, it's a bonus if you like his potential.

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I liked him in the draft and I'm still intrigued. But the trade value pretty much says the NFL has all but given up on him. I hope we can find a way to maximize his abilities.

Apparently so did the Panthers.

From the same article...

“I saw him in high school, so I think all of us have a vision for what he is,” Rhule said. “I remember when Marty (Hurney) was here, early in the draft process, Marty was in love with him. We watched a ton of him. I think he’s just a guy that we all have a lot of different things for.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • The D 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Apparently so did the Panthers.

From the same article...

“I saw him in high school, so I think all of us have a vision for what he is,” Rhule said. “I remember when Marty (Hurney) was here, early in the draft process, Marty was in love with him. We watched a ton of him. I think he’s just a guy that we all have a lot of different things for.

A 2nd rounder that Marty Hurney loved... well, fug. If that ain't the kiss of death.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From Joe Person in The Athletic

According to TruMedia, Shenault lined up in the backfield 41 times in two seasons with Jacksonville. He had five catches for 17 yards out of the backfield to go with 18 carries for 72 yards.

And according to ESPN and NFL he had 29 run attempts and 132 yards which gives an average of 4.6. Of these, 8 led to a first down, almost 28%. 

https://www.nfl.com/players/laviska-shenault-jr/stats/career

(Have I missed anything? )

Edited by kass

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A 2nd rounder that Marty Hurney loved... well, fug. If that ain't the kiss of death.

Well, ya know...

Rhule clearly liked him since he mentioned having seen him in high school (no word on whether he recruited him).

Shenault would be the second player Rhule wanted to draft that we later acquired by trade, the first of course being CJ Henderson.

And both, of course, coming from the Jaguars.

5 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Two years left on a deal for a top 45 pick, part of the negotiation also centers around the fact you have to pay the salary as well. 

Also JAX had little leverage, so it's all in the hands of the teams that are interested. 

If you don't like the addition it's whatever, but it's evident looking at the situation / stats / skill set, that we added a player with more potential than a Brandon Zylstra, or Keith Kirkwood. 

And no one referenced ''bidding war'' you're just using hyperbole to exaggerate the point you are attempting to make. Just like there was interest from several teams in regard to Mims, but the price was too low. JAX decided to get ''something'' versus just releasing him, or keeping him while paying him with no plans for him in the offense. 

after 2 years in the league your draft pick/stock goes out the window.