• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Colin Thompson on Rhule

CashNewton22

5 minutes ago, Ezrider1423 said:

It’s a rebuild.

*signs Teddy Bridgewater to a 63 million dollar contract only to trade him one year later because he criticized the staff for incompetence*

*trades three picks for Sam Darnold and guarantees him almost 19 million dollars to be a backup*

*after refusing to draft a QB the first two years they finally take one only to give XFL legend PJ Walker more reps*

Rebuild eh?

Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Ezrider1423 said:

Let’s all believe KSpan over someone who actually played football for coach Rhule at the highest level.. Collin Thompson has had other coaches.. high school.. college coaches.  But I think I’ll listen to your opinion over his. Please kspan, continue to preach to all of us 

I'm not telling anyone what to believe, just pointing out the glaring conflict of interest/predisposition that Thompson likely has (no judgment, just objective fact). If you can't see that or choose to ignore it, then that's your prerogative. College/HS coaches are also not NFL coaches, and hearing 'All NFL teams run the same stuff' from a guy who spent his limited other NFL time on some pretty shaky teams isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. 

• Beer 2

I think a lot of what was said about Rhule was true. He preaches and lives his system and the process of improvement. He is genuinely a caring coach who is involved and emotional. 

That doesnt mean he doesn't have serious flaws which were uncovered. Remember when he said he doesn't fire coaches just works to improve them. Had to change that tune. Remember when he said that he thought he needed a few head coaches on his staff when he rode into town but didn't do it. Yeah that changed too. Rhule was arrogant and cocksure and he has been drug down a few notches. But he did get enough coaches to join him to help elevate the football experience and make us more competitive. So the message is still good but we have to see better execution and scheme which comes from the bottom up not the other way around. Rhule hopefully like Rivera and Fox will continue to learn OTJ. But his learning curve about the NFL was steeper than  Rivera and Fox given he had little experience and likely thought it wouldn't be hard to pick up. He was wrong about that too.  He will improve as the quality of his staff improves. Hopefully that is this year.

Colin Thompson probably isn't wrong. Rhule and his process just have not translated well at all to the NFL. Hell, we don't even know if it would translate at the contender level of college football. His record against top 25 teams was abysmal.

I mean, let's be honest. If you're a fan of a powerhouse college team would you be excited if you had a HC opening and Matt Rhule was the hire? I wouldn't.

• Beer 1

17 hours ago, CashNewton22 said:

I know positive talk about Coach Rhule is frowned upon and so many need a scapegoat so they take all their anger out on him but his players and coaches really do seem to like playing for/coaching for him. I’m on record as to giving Coach Rhule the benefit of the doubt this year. I know I’m moreso in the minority in regards to fans but it’s good to see that the locker room is tight. 

I’m with you bro. I’m willing to let bygones be bygones and see what Rhule can do this year. I just don’t have it in me to hate the man 24-7-365. If he can’t do it with this roster, this year, he won’t be the coach anymore. And if he does, he will continue to be here. Simple as. 

29 minutes ago, joemac said:

I’m with you bro. I’m willing to let bygones be bygones and see what Rhule can do this year. I just don’t have it in me to hate the man 24-7-365. If he can’t do it with this roster, this year, he won’t be the coach anymore. And if he does, he will continue to be here. Simple as. 

For the millionth time now, being objective about the mess that has been the past 2 years is not the same as 'hating', nor is waiting to see what happens on the field.

• Beer 1

18 hours ago, KSpan said:

The whole 'Year 3' thing is ridiculous but what gets left out of that take is that his prior teams also notably improved in record from years 1 to year 2. Carolina not only did not improve their record in year 2 but were notably worse on the field vs year 1.

This. Year 1 we competed in every game except for the Tampa games. Last year we were done after the first quarter the second half of the year. 

4 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Generally, people who think of Rhule as a good coach are excellent at ignoring reality.

He could still turn out to be a good and/or effective coach at the NFL level. The current evidence though supports that he hasn't been, and doesn't look promising for such an outcome. Acknowledging that is somehow 'hating'...

Power Rangers Reaction GIF

• Beer 1