• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign dl Henry anderson

w280sax

ESPN:

The Jets made a shrewd trade to acquire Anderson during the 2018 draft, sending a seventh-round pick to the Indianapolis Colts. He flourished in New York, recording a career-high seven sacks in the final year of his rookie contract.

Anderson parlayed his big year into a three-year, $25.2 million contract, with $17 million in guarantees over the first two years. Since the contract, his sack production dropped dramatically -- only 1.5 over the past 29 games. He played every game in 2020, finishing with 42 total tackles.

Anderson recorded the third-highest run-stuff percentage among defensive players with at least 500 snaps, according to NFL NextGen Stats.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

Just now, mcsmoak said:

True or False, Roy would have been cut over Nixon had Roy not played at Baylor

Hard to say. Nixon had some huge character red flags coming out of college.  Then he had the injury last season to his neck I think.  Those injuries can linger.  Who's to say he was fully healed?  Granted Roy is a JAG, but Nixon had his own issues.  He may land back on the practice squad at some point.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Twitter comments say this guy is good at stopping the run. That's a start, I guess. 

Thanks that’s what I was curious about. Now we at least know there is a clear plan. Cleveland for the last 3 years has been top 3 in rushing. This is a step to ensure Cleveland doesn’t run all over us.  I’m not sure why some of the other Huddlers are surprised based on how Rhule can be quick to the trigger. Nixon wasn’t going to turn into an All-Pro. He fell out of favor in college, so why gamble on a low floor  decent ceiling defensive lineman now. We also need to be honest Nixon didn’t flash this year and Hoskins and McCall are both stout against the run.  I like the signing,  if it works on Sunday. We don’t need any 150 yard rushing days from the Browns. We definitely don’t need Chubb gashing us and taking our defenses confidence away. At least our coaches know their potential flaws. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Hard to say. Nixon had some huge character red flags coming out of college.  Then he had the injury last season to his neck I think.  Those injuries can linger.  Who's to say he was fully healed?  Granted Roy is a JAG, but Nixon had his own issues.  He may land back on the practice squad at some point.

5 minutes ago, mcsmoak said:

True or False, Roy would have been cut over Nixon had Roy not played at Baylor

Hard point to argue there. I think this move is more about taking Cleveland’s rushing attack away. Roy is a better run stopper than Nixon. 

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Beast_3000 said:

Thanks that’s what I was curious about. Now we at least know there is a clear plan. Cleveland for the last 3 years has been top 3 in rushing. This is a step to ensure Cleveland doesn’t run all over us.  I’m not sure why some of the other Huddlers are surprised based on how Rhule can be quick to the trigger. Nixon wasn’t going to turn into an All-Pro. He fell out of favor in college, so why gamble on a low floor  decent ceiling defensive lineman now. We also need to be honest Nixon didn’t flash this year and Hoskins and McCall are both stout against the run.  I like the signing,  if it works on Sunday. We don’t need any 150 yard rushing days from the Browns. We definitely don’t need Chubb gashing us and taking our defenses confidence away. At least our coaches know their potential flaws. 

It does seem like an improvement on a weak area. Guess we will see how it works out. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Solid run stopper also supposedly a pretty dirty player. 

The Nixon cut is baffling. That draft class looks weaker and weaker.

Yep, Flecher, Brown and Nixon all cut.  Brown and Nixon were Marty-type players, so that doesn't shock me.  What is a Marty-type player?  One whose pre-draft stock is relatively high at the beginning of the process and steadily drops throughout and come draft day throws out a net to catch said falling prospect thinking they got a 'steal.'

Horn, Christensen and Smith may be the only ones to get another contract out of that class.

Edited by 45catfan

35 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I fully expected us to sign a DL. But this particular signing is extremely meh.

Yeah… not a fan of this.  We have some cap space and a better DT would’ve been nicer.  Our depth there is razor thin, so hopefully this isn’t the only signing we make.  We’ll see what happens.  

just saw he’s a DE not a DT, I will see what he does before I crap on the guy.  Had 7 sacks not too long ago.  Depth is depth, just please get us some solid DT depth and I’ll be happy 

Edited by PandaMan