• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetical: What Happens Next?

PanthersATL

I do not understand why everybody is clamoring for Wilkes to take over. He is shown he was ineffective as a head coach in Arizona. They fired him after one awful season. McAdoo is no better. Everyone thinks firing Rhule is some cure-all, but we would still be in terrible shape until next year. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

There were, just not for the tanking allegations, I think. 

So both. But the article doesn't say which got exactly what. So there we go.

Owner Ross-Suspended 1st 6 games.

Draft picks lost-1st in 23 and a 4th in 24

Fines-1.5 million dollars

According to Yahoo Sports

NFL suspends Miami Dolphins owner and strips team of draft picks in tampering and tanking probe | CNN

5 minutes ago, ChuckWag78 said:

I do not understand why everybody is clamoring for Wilkes to take over. He is shown he was ineffective as a head coach in Arizona. They fired him after one awful season. McAdoo is no better. Everyone thinks firing Rhule is some cure-all, but we would still be in terrible shape until next year. 

It may not be a cure-all. But, for MANY fans, it would be a good start.

1 minute ago, ChuckWag78 said:

I guess, it just seems like a move to make a move. Makes the franchise look very reactionary and hypersensitive.

I can see it both ways. Give the guy the rest of the season to see if this all finally comes together. Then again, sometimes you just have to say no more.

Plenty of Coaches get fired in season. If he has done a bad job, ppl will see it for what it is. At some point you just have to pull the plug.

Especially in this day and age. Instant gratification and short attention spans lead to unhappy fans. And that can lead to Anarchy. And nobody wants that.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ChuckWag78 said:

No one thinks firing Rhule will be a cure-all. But it will hopefully start the healing. We will likely have a top 5 rookie QB and some already solid pieces on offense and defense. So the new coach won’t be starting from ground zero. 
Yes next year will be rough but if Rhules not here I’m fine with it

3 hours ago, ChuckWag78 said:

Yeah, I'm not sold on McAdoo as OC much less HC

4 hours ago, ChuckWag78 said:

Some believe that a change in defensive philosophy would make a huge impact on the success of this team. The 3-3 is just not generating enough pressure on 3rd downs. If we could win 40% of the 3rd down battles we would be undefeated.

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's the thing with the Panthers. Your average NFL coaching roster has guys that have been part of several coaching staffs. Ours has several guys that have followed Matt Rhule around for a pretty significant part of their careers.

The longest tenured Rhule loyalists...

DC Phil Snow (of course)

DB Coach Evan Cooper

LB Coach Mike Siravo

RB Coach Jeff Nixon

Assistant ST Coach Ed Foley

S&C Coach Jeremy Scott

The good news? Most of those guys are either non-essential or fairly replaceable. For example, Wilks can likely take over DC duties while still coaching the secondary, Al Holcomb can handle the linebackers and other assistants who stick can shift duties to cover what we need.

Not like we're losing anybody that's world class or anything...

That's why I've said that if Rhule was gone today we wouldn't be any less prepared Sunday. Maybe more.