• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What sort of offense are we running?

Mr. Scot

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Seems you are souring on DJ a bit. I don’t blame you because I recall when Robby got smashed at Atlanta, the announcers called out DJ for a lazy route meant to scheme Robby open/single coverage. The announcers called out DJ a few games in a row.

Are you starting to think that maybe Fitterer signed another bad extension? I recall a thread giving him huge kudos for resigning DJ so cheap compared to other WRs. I know you are a big Fitterer fan.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm souring on him. I've always acknowledged that he has his flaws.

One analysis I'd seen on him suggested that he might be a better number two receiver than number one.

55 minutes ago, Evil Hurney said:

Right now this offense is producing outputs (run/pass ratio, expected points per run/pass, turnover rate, penalty rate) most similar to the 2021 Cleveland Browns ... I doubt they are the same schematically though; we know they use different terminology.

Stefanski is a WCO guy if I remember correctly...

It's three midgets standing on top of one another in trench coat.

You've got the Sean Payton interpretation of the WCO McAdoo inherited, the more traditional WCO he ran in Green Bay, and a heavy dose of the RPO plays that Baker and Corral would have experience with from their college days.

Those midgets are wobbling an awful lot and the pants are slipping down...

• Beer 1

Whatever were running, I see the same issue that have gone all the way back to at least the Rivera era: our receivers struggle to get separation. My impression is we're too reliant on having them beat their man themselves rather than run schemes that gives the QB easier completions. To my recollection, 2020 was the only time in recent memory when we did the latter well enough.

• Beer 1

McAdoo was not a Baker fan when he was being drafted.  Perhaps Baker did not fit 'his system' and how he wants to run the offense.  What we see is a hybrid mess that fits nobody.  Unless Baker has changed McAdoo's view of himself and/or McAdoo was wrong about his initial pre-draft analysis....wonder if Baker was not his QB choice and he is trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.  That Baker looks worse now than with the Browns, you have to wonder if the scheme being run does not fit his strengths.  He may not be the answer, but he should be at least serviceable....and he is has not been so far.  Obviously, something is off....Baker does not look comfortable at all.  I think the O-line, while not perfect, is a noticeable upgrade from last year.  This team has solid weapons with DJ, Robby, CMC, Smith/Higgins and etc.  Baker has time in the pocket.....I mean he can't be this bad...right?  I am still hoping it will click but he seems to have gotten worse each game.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Granted, and one of the things you typically see in a Coryell for example is a fair amount of variance in formation, motion, etc.

So again, I'm not sure what McAdoo is McAdoing 😕

Same thing that got him run out of the league  as a playcaller.  

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

This is an offense designed on paper for the first team that would hire McAdoo and give him a coordinator's position. It was then modified to fit and maybe fix Sam Darnold and to address some massive rotations on the offensive line, possibly ones for the worse. Hopefully it would utilize CMC but wouldn't rely on him too much because of injury or to prevent him from injury.

Then it was tailored to additions on the O-line of some experienced players. Tailored again to maybe utilize Matt Corral eventually, with some effort to streamline it for his learning curve and strengths.

Then a trade was finalized so it had to be made to fit Baker Mayfield's style of play (and smaller stature). Then training camp comes and aa "QB competition" that had differing results for the passers because of their own innate abilities, strengths and weaknesses. The "competition" wasn't settled truly settled in practice until injuries to Corral and Darnold forced the issue. 

That left McAdoo with an untested mess tailored to everyone and no one. You end up with plays that use Baker's arm but leaving him in position behind a line he apparently can't see over. His mobility is nixed because they wanted Darnold to be more steady in the pocket. The whole thing has been dumbed down to suit the quick learning curves needed for Baker and Matt, to the point where even the dimmest of opposing DCs (or MLBs) can diagnosed what is going to happen by the simple placement of CMC.

This isn't a hybrid, it's a hash of leftovers and half-baked concepts. Maybe it will develop an identity. Maybe not. It's just not very good right now and foundationally it looks unsound. It's off the cuff alchemy on a budget and I don't think lead is going to turn into gold.

Fail Uh Oh GIF by Nickelodeon

I believe the technical term for this is "kluge."

• Pie 1