• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what's up with the batted balls?

PhillyB

A little more info...

Early on, Ron Rivera was able to do some similar things against Drew Brees. He schemed to block Brees throwing lanes, obstruct his vision and try to bat down as many passes as possible.

It worked for, ironically enough, a very short time. Sean Payton was able to make adjustments that nullified what Rivera had been trying to do.

I wouldn't bet on our current coaching staff being able to accomplish that same feat.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

so rewatching some footage it does seem like baker's throwing motion has at least something to do with it. he's almost got a sidearm sling, especially with the quick shots to the flats or sidelines (which is where we saw a bunch of batted balls yesterday.)

but that's what, a couple inches of height differential on a ball at the point of contact? DEs are getting up twelve inches on the ball. it's not like it's low enough for them to get a fingertip on it. they're straight full arm blocking these things with a foot to spare.

this screams line play to me. something is fundamentally broken with how this line is being coached. or baker to find throwing lanes regardless of his motion. and it starts at the top. rhule has to go.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

16 hours ago, PhillyB said:

I have literally never seen anything like this in my entire life. He's on the shorter size but that can't be it, plenty of other signal callers are the same height. 

I've never watched another team's games and seen anything like this, and we see it every game. It's absolutely insane.

Is it completely Baker? Is it really bad scheming with regard to opening passing lanes? Is it poor offensive line coaching?

This is a dysfunctional offense the likes of which I never thought I'd see rivaled after the pickles era and I don't know what to make if it mechanically.

1) it's the predictability of the offensive gamelan.

2) the fans aren't booing early enough.

"Did we go down and score a touchdown after they booed us? Yes" - Baker yesterday.

That tells me that Baker needs to be booed as soon as he gets on the field, and then he'll lead a TD drive.

I've always heard batted passes are on the offensive line. Cam had numerous passes batted down in the Miami Game and no one here can call him a midget. It's easy to blame Baker like we did with Brady, Bridgewater, and even Darnold but the coaching staff doesn't even know how to play to our personnel's strengths. The coaching staff does no favors to our offense.  

With the defense we have now, how great would it be to have Bridgewater and Joe Brady back. 

• Pie 2