• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Legit, non knee jerk question.. is Baker even a capable backup at this point worth using a roster spot and 5th rounder on?

I mentioned it before, but we get to keep our 5th rounder provided he doesn’t play more than 70% of snaps.. But besides that, it’s gotten so bad with Baker, I’m starting to think he isn’t even a capable backup at this point and PJ Walker is at least a wild card with more upside and knows the offense way better. 

Is he even worth a roster spot at this point when we can easily roll with Sam and PJ. There is no way Fitt is going to lose that 5th rounder by having Baker play more snaps, so it begs the question.. What exactly is Baker’s role here?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not a big Mayfield fan, but to be fair I have to wonder how he'd look in an offense that wasn't designed and run by Ben McAdoo.

I'm wondering the same thing.

Here's the thing.  Under Rhule's cast of clowns in the offensive show, we had Bridgewater complaining before and after he walked out the door (and Teddy generally doesn't say much), Darnold who may have been in a worse situation here than he was with the Jets, and now Mayfiled who may be in his worse situation as a pro (and unfortunately, it may not be close).

None of these guys are going to be mention with the NFL's top tier QBs of all time, but I think their limited talents was hindered even more by our brilliant brain trusts.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, panthersgreenville said:

I mentioned it before, but we get to keep our 5th rounder provided he doesn’t play more than 70% of snaps.. But besides that, it’s gotten so bad with Baker, I’m starting to think he isn’t even a capable backup at this point and PJ Walker is at least a wild card with more upside and knows the offense way better. 

Is he even worth a roster spot at this point when we can easily roll with Sam and PJ. There is no way Fitt is going to lose that 5th rounder by having Baker play more snaps, so it begs the question.. What exactly is Baker’s role here?

The 5th is gone. It’s a 4th if he plays 70%. Sitting him doesn’t get the 5th back. 

• Pie 3

Mayfield needs a scheme designed for him specifically.  If he has this, I think he's a potential starter.  Mayfield is not a traditional pro style, drop back passer.  Murray in the 2nd half last weekend is how we need to use Mayfield and he'll take hits, but he's not capable QB in the pocket all the time.   

• Beer 1

PJ Walker and Baker were both here for all of training camp but Baker has gotten all the reps, so PJ definitely doesn't know the offense better. As for Baker, he played 4 seasons before this and was never even close to being this terrible. We've gone through 4 QBs in 3 years who have all looked so inept that we felt the need to replace them immediately even though they've all (except for Darnold) had success before or after playing for us. Hard to judge our talent with this coaching staff being among the worst in the history of the sport.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If we would use his mobility a bit and roll him out where he can see, he might be okay. There's something wrong beyond that, though. He's worse than I had expected.

It’s mental. Between batted passes, the weight of playing in a contract year and the psychological sting being let go by the Browns for next to nothing.. he’s broken 

Edited by panthersgreenville
  • Pie 1