• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fit and Morgan: SHOULD they stay?

CanadianCat

Should Fitterer be tired to Rhue?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fitterer be tired to Rhue?

• Fire them all
    • Fitterer gets a chance to hire his HC

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

A brand new GM and a brand new HC.  I seriously seriously doubt Tepper falls for that trick again

The Steelers interviewed Morgan as a potential GM this offseason.  He is starting to general some buzz, just worried we will relive the Beane thing again.  Again I am not married to the idea though.

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think the GM should go with Rhule.   I think In large part they should always come and go together.  Tepper fugged up keeping Marty.   Right the ship.   

Fit’s hand was in Sam, the 5th year option, Robbie extension, Baker and all the real messes.  The real clusterfug started once Fit and Rhule got paired.  He gets a pass on it all from a lot. 

Keeping Marty was a major error on Teppers part. That one error has put us in the mess we find ourselves in 3 years later. It's the main reason this team has floundered ever since Dave bought this team. Until every last ghost of Marty Hurney is exercised from this franchise we a doomed to continue this clusterfug of struggles to be more than a bottom feeder in the nfl.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

The Steelers interviewed Morgan as a potential GM this offseason.  He is starting to general some buzz, just worried we will relive the Beane thing again.  Again I am not married to the idea though.

He may be all world but in my limited research all I can find about his accolades is that he is a grinder

1 minute ago, Toker Smurf said:

I like Fitterer and it’s hard to know how much say he’s had. If Fitterer is fired then Tepper will likely have more input on a new coach, as he will likely not leave that decision to a new GM he has little experience with. 

That's the problem.  While Hurney was the GM at the time, Tepper loved Rhule as much or more so than Marty himself.   Rookie owner made a rookie mistake.  Next time let the GM do his job.  Granted, Tepper needs to sign off on it, but that's it.  Whomever is the GM needs to conduct the search and when the one is selected, THEN Tepper can give the stamp of approval or not.  Tepper himself does not need to be on the search committee.  How likely is this to happen?  Almost zero, because Tepper thinks he's the smartest man in the room at any given time.

1 hour ago, CanadianCat said:

I'm all in on blowing up the coaching staff, but I actually really like what Fit and Morgan are doing. 

I think he has been hamstrung by the fact he was hired after Rhule and the final decision goes to Rhule but I love they way he approaches the draft and how he continues to look for value. 

I think he should be given the chance to hire his own staff and make the accountability start from there. 

Fit has shown me absolutely nothing

As I've said before and as continues to be true, Scott Fitterer is the Matt Rhule of GMs, and David Tepper is the Matt Rhule of owners. It takes true effort for a single NFL franchise of 32, to have the worst owner, worst coach and worst GM. 

And, maybe, worst QB -- but I still don't know that it's all on Baker, because Justin Herbert or Josh Allen would suck here as well. Baker's hellaciously unlikable, so I'll at least grant that.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He is literally the worst qb in the nfl, its an absolute overpay especially considering nobody else wanted him and they were going to have to cut him

As to the roster I feel its mid to bottom in the nfl.  We need either 1 kick ass draft or 2 average to build some nice depth.

What is our strongest position group and then where does that group rank in the nfl?  Then do our 2nd strongest and I think you will see why i think our roster isnt as strong as some of you think

Time investment wouldn’t reap worthwhile rewards I’m afraid. 

Best case? I convince you.

Most likely case? Neither of us changes our mind 😆 

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He is literally the worst qb in the nfl, its an absolute overpay especially considering nobody else wanted him and they were going to have to cut him

As to the roster I feel its mid to bottom in the nfl.  We need either 1 kick ass draft or 2 average to build some nice depth.

What is our strongest position group and then where does that group rank in the nfl?  Then do our 2nd strongest and I think you will see why i think our roster isnt as strong as some of you think

He's not the worst QB in the NFL. He's already on our roster. Other than Mayfield, our options were Trubisky, who just got benched, Pickett, or who else? This was a horrid draft for QBs and Watson wanted no part of this franchise. I'm not defending Baker. He's played like poo. But I also think we've put him in an offense with the excitement of the wheelchair Olympics in a nursing home. This whole thing is doomed to failure because of Rhule. 

As for Fitts, we had no leverage negotiating for Darnold. We were the only team with interest but we also had PJ as our only QB. We were desperate and they knew it. Baker would likely still have been in Cleveland if Watson hadn't been open to trade. The CJ trade is about as good as you could hope for. Starting CB in the third with athletic upside. He finally got to put a line together and toss the garbage to the side. Kickers have done well. Defense is playing well enough to win but you can't ask them to hold opponents to less than 17 points a game every week playing 40 minutes a game. 

The lynch pin in all of this is Rhule. It's his poo offense run by his poo coordinators by his poo QBs all of who he wanted. It's up to Fitts to get good players that fit the system. Rhules system is hot garbage and I have full confidence that Fitts would have fired him last year if Tepper hadn't Jerry Jones'd things. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Who Beane?  He credits Hurney for his success....

Morgan.

From just after Fitterer was hired but before Morgan came aboard...

Morgan, now the Bills' player personnel director, first met Fitterer when he joined the Seahawks as a scouting intern in 2010. Fitterer was ascending the college side of the scouting department there, but was eager to help teach the new guy about the business.

"He was very helpful to me when I first got there," Morgan said. "All those guys were really good with me early on, but he took me under his wing when I was new and was willing to let me pick his brain about college scouting and what he did.

And to be clear, besides being co-workers, the two of them are good friends.

The professional respect is clear, but it's hard for Morgan to draw the line between his friend and his former co-worker.

Fitterer's a guy who helped teach him the scouting business, but he's also the guy he travels with in the offseason, building the kind of relationship that develops as you pack the cars and hit the road together.

Just before he moved to Buffalo in 2018, Morgan and his family went to the Oregon coast with Fitterer and his family, just a couple of dads on vacation with the wives and kids, shooting off Fourth of July fireworks and having a great time.

"He's just a cool dude," Morgan said. "You guys are going to love him. And, he's going to do a great job."

Former Panther great Dan Morgan vouches for friend and mentor Scott Fitterer 

I'm not so certain Morgan would be all that high on the idea of getting a promotion at the expense of Fitterer.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

In that scenario, there's a very strong chance Morgan would hire Ken Dorsey as HC.

To be fair, that might happen anyway.

Gotta figure that unless he sh-ts the bed over the next 13 games or so, Morgan could reasonably be expected to lobby for him.

Our old buddy Greg Olsen is a big Dorsey fan too.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Morgan.

From just after Fitterer was hired but before Morgan came aboard...

Morgan, now the Bills' player personnel director, first met Fitterer when he joined the Seahawks as a scouting intern in 2010. Fitterer was ascending the college side of the scouting department there, but was eager to help teach the new guy about the business.

"He was very helpful to me when I first got there," Morgan said. "All those guys were really good with me early on, but he took me under his wing when I was new and was willing to let me pick his brain about college scouting and what he did.

And to be clear, besides being co-workers, the two of them are good friends.

The professional respect is clear, but it's hard for Morgan to draw the line between his friend and his former co-worker.

Fitterer's a guy who helped teach him the scouting business, but he's also the guy he travels with in the offseason, building the kind of relationship that develops as you pack the cars and hit the road together.

Just before he moved to Buffalo in 2018, Morgan and his family went to the Oregon coast with Fitterer and his family, just a couple of dads on vacation with the wives and kids, shooting off Fourth of July fireworks and having a great time.

"He's just a cool dude," Morgan said. "You guys are going to love him. And, he's going to do a great job."

Former Panther great Dan Morgan vouches for friend and mentor Scott Fitterer 

I'm not so certain Morgan would be all that high on the idea of getting a promotion at the expense of Fitterer.

That's just the nature of the business.  There are plenty of inner circles where coaches replace others who are friends.  You think Dan Morgan would turn down the GM job if we fired Fitt because they are friends?  What would Morgan's career path be?  I guess he would just have to wait for another franchise to offer him a promotion? 

Fitt will get a position on another team but there are only 32 NFL GM jobs available in the league and if he was offered one, especially with a team he played for, I doubt he would turn it down.  It's what we should have down with Beane...