• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LaCanfora - Rhule fired - Now what ?

Paa Langfart

Tepper alluded to actually getting some consultants in his presser to help this time so a lot of the names right now are going to be the hot ones the media is propping up.  Our next HC is likely not in the discussion yet.  

I do really love the idea of this Shane Steichen feller.  Given what he's done with Herbert and Hurts who both had major questions as prospects and MANY here not wanting them, imagine what he could do with Stroud or Young...

Also think Kellen Moore is a real possibility given his preferential treatment in league circles but I'm not super enthused.  More than Quinn though.  Quinn meh-sauce.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I haven’t been on the fire Fitterer bandwagon and am generally open to the idea of him getting to hire a head coach…but if he wants to hire Dan Quinn get him the fug outta here.

I get you were together in Seattle, but come on man.

This tendency in the NFL, not just with GM's but all over organizations to hire the guy you know because he's the guy you know drives me nuts as a fan. It is the same risk avoidance behavior that most often denotes a willingness to settle for mediocrity as long as it's comfortable mediocrity.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Yeah that would be a hell no. If that if what Fritterer wants then it's best to do a hard reset under a consultant becaude he is a dead end as a GM.

I'm not impressed with the current crews coaching tree conections. We need new options beyond Quinn and Dorsey and Ron again lol

2 minutes ago, saX man said:

Tepper alluded to actually getting some consultants in his presser to help this time so a lot of the names right now are going to be the hot ones the media is propping up.  Our next HC is likely not in the discussion yet.  

I do really love the idea of this Shane Steichen feller.  Given what he's done with Herbert and Hurts who both had major questions as prospects and MANY here not wanting them, imagine what he could do with Stroud or Young...

Also think Kellen Moore is a real possibility given his preferential treatment in league circles but I'm not super enthused.  More than Quinn though.  Quinn meh-sauce.

I am all aboard the Steichen train and have been for months.  Kellen Moore is a hard no. You can talk to any Cowboys fan.... he doesnt know how to adjust in game and his offense is boom or bust weekly. Kellen hasnt built a offensive goliath, he just has a very consistent conservative offense. Thats not going to win ball games. The Cowboys defense is winning football games right now.

Which leads me to my question.... Why would you want a cowboys OC that is middle of the road over the Cowboys DC who is one of the best playcalling DCs in the NFL this year

12 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Quinn will at least drag this franchise into the realm of competence. Rhule completely drove this franchise to the depths of hell. Guy was in over his head from Day 1

That’s called settling. Sounds like a good way to ruin whichever QB we draft as well. Give me a talented young QB and a coach than can develop him. We can hire Flores as DC and he can always step in if the new coach is a disaster. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That’s called settling. Sounds like a good way to ruin whichever QB we draft as well. Give me a talented young QB and a coach than can develop him. We can hire Flores as DC and he can always step in if the new coach is a disaster. 

I don’t love hiring a guy like Dan Quinn either but I don’t think we can expect to jump up to Super Bowl contender right away with the next coach either. The team is a mess from the top down, all the way up to the owner.

A guy like Quinn could be good to have for 3 years to steady the ship and at least bring the team back to the middle of the pack. It could be akin to what happened to the Rams with Jeff Fisher. He was a similar type of coach to Quinn and the Rams were at least flirting with a .500 record under him. Then you go get your real long term coach after the mess is cleaned up.

I don’t know if this team is a good situation for a first time head coach in all honesty. Tepper is obviously an arrogant narcissist who is hard to work for. Anyone he gets is going to have to have enough of a spine to tell Tepper to back the f*ck off and have the credentials to back it up. Quinn could do that. He might not be the long term guy, but he could at least pull us out of the depths of hell. If that’s settling, it’s better than what we have now….

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I am all aboard the Steichen train and have been for months.  Kellen Moore is a hard no. You can talk to any Cowboys fan.... he doesnt know how to adjust in game and his offense is boom or bust weekly. Kellen hasnt built a offensive goliath, he just has a very consistent conservative offense. Thats not going to win ball games. The Cowboys defense is winning football games right now.

Which leads me to my question.... Why would you want a cowboys OC that is middle of the road over the Cowboys DC who is one of the best playcalling DCs in the NFL this year

I don't know.  You know, it's like a feeling I get in my pants hombre.

21 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Those knocking Quinn seems bizarrre… the guy has been successful everywhere he has gone. Look what we has done for that cowboys defense.

don’t forget that Kyle shanahan was the OC that couldn’t get the falcons any points in the second half against the patriots. Kyle made some supremely questionable decisions in that game that took the falcons out of winning that game. Including stopped running the ball in true second half. Also, Matt Ryan taking that bone headed sack to get them out of field goal range.

the falcons ran the ball 48% of the time in the first half, and when they had their commanding lead…. They ran it only 33% of the time in the second half. It was a young OC making dumb young decisions, and as some falcons fan say…. “He got cocky.”

the downfall of Quinn was much related to Dmitrioff’s cap killing decisions. He devoted so much money to Ryan, Julio and their running backs … that the falcons weren’t afforded an opportunity to reset the roster with talent due to cap. This ultimately led to his departure with Quinn.

He's a modern day Wade Phillips.  He's so good at DC he'll keep getting shots at head coach, but he should just be a DC.

• Pie 3

Hiring Quinn is just basic competency. I’m not even that mad that Tepper hired rhule. The contract is his money so idc. what I care about is he wasted this season when it was obvious rhule was not the guy last year. Taking shots/risks are fine. Quinn is not a risk. Which I think is going to be desirable to Tepper after rhule. 

• Pie 2

What is the difference between Ron Rivera and Dan Quinn?

Rivera's record as a HC 91-85-1

Quinn's record as a HC 43-42

I get he is a great DC, but so is Ron Rivera.  Also Quinn had Kyle Shanahan as an OC while Ron was working with a bunch of JAGs or worse.  Sign an OC and draft a young signal caller.  We have the OL and a couple weapons on offense that could turn this thing around quickly.  Dan Quinn is just a stepping stone of another 7 year plan...

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, ENC Pantherfan said:

In order to get the 1st option you need to give up picks, and for comparison the Bucs had to come off 2 1st round picks + other picks for Gruden. You want to do that for Payton?

I mean Gruden put Tampa's first ever trophy in the case. If Payton could put our first ever trophy in the case, it would absolutely be worth it.

4 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I mean Gruden put Tampa's first ever trophy in the case. If Payton could put our first ever trophy in the case, it would absolutely be worth it.

He did it by using the team the Tony Dungy built. From there he proceeded to blow that up to build his own team and now look where he is.

• Pie 2