• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person: Rhule ran the team at times "like his personal kingdom"

Mr. Scot

From the article:

He at times treated the Panthers franchise like his own personal kingdom. Rhule — like a lot of other college coaches who made the jump to the NFL — wanted his hands in every part of the organization, from the training room and personnel department to the digital media team.

Regarding the failure to land a franchise quarterback:

Not that he didn’t try. The way he cycled through Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold and finally Baker Mayfield, it was as if Rhule was starting a collection of journeyman QBs. The Panthers also made unsuccessful runs at Matthew Stafford and Deshaun Watson. Getting one of those guys would have changed the direction of the franchise and — in the case of Watson — its reputation as well.

And though Rhule directed the annual QB chase, he had others signing off on the pursuit — from former offensive coordinator Joe Brady (who lobbied for Bridgewater) to general manager Scott Fitterer (who signed off on the trades for Darnold and Mayfield) to owner David Tepper, who stroked the checks.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

Well, I think we already figured this from yesterday. He was a control freak and micromanager. 

Perhaps with the new HC, the franchise will loosen up the training camp experience a little, and maybe Igo and others will get a little more leeway to report some fun things again. It has morphed into the No Fun League to some extent, but a man can wish.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, gotta figure the tight lid on camp media was from Rhule.

And I'm now more convinced than I was yesterday that the attempt to downplay "keep pounding" came from him as well.

I said it before, but I rarely wish ill will on someone once they leave the organization, but Rhule is the exception.  He knew he was in over his head, and yet he continued to take down our franchise with him.  If you had any dignity about yourself, admit you can't do it, which was a fair thing to do at the least, by the end of last season, and don't bring unnecessary suffering to others.  But nope...  he decided to make us his casualties, and for that, I wish him nothing but professional failure moving forward.  People might not like that, but he'll be ok...  he'll be making 40 million, so that can cushion the old pride.  

And if your speculation happened to be true, scot, that he tried to get rid of "keep pounding" in favor of his own generic, vanilla, college bullshit, then he can go to hell.  The sheer arrogance of it all.

• Beer 2

31 minutes ago, countryboi said:

It should’ve been easy to see if this wasn’t going to work out. Sadly if he found a halfway decent quarterback he would most likely still be here.

I dont even believe that, man.  I honestly believe whoever came here was going to look a thousand times worse than however they looked elsewhere.  Darnold and Mayfield are exhibits 1a and 1b.  I thought Baker at worst would be average, and maybe even just slightly below - his performance over the years in Cleveland would dictate that - yet, here he became the second worst passer in the QBR era over the first 5 games.  Same for Darnold.  His floor should've been 20ish for QBs, and I don't believe in him at all, and yet, he ALSO became statistically the worst passer over a stretch of games that had ever been tracked in NFL history.  Cam, a proven elite QB, even with a lesser arm, who has demonstrated the ability to read a defense and work the short to mid game fairly well since his injury, came in here and went 5-21 with 2 picks and like 5 batted passes.  I've been saying it ad nauseum, but it's not coincidence.  I also had speculated all along, since last season, that Rhulr was meddling with the OC/gameplan/playcalling...  and now all the reports coming out that he micromanaged literally everything pretty much confirms it.  If it looked inept and dysfunctional, you can almost guarantee that jackass was directly behind it.

I fully believe, if even in some miraculous turn, that had we acquired a Brady or Rodgers, he would've made them look like poo as well.  Idc what anyone says...  the offensive scheme itself was dysfunctional and as a bad coach, you make elite players look like good players, and good players look below average.

• Pie 4