• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An analysis of what went wrong between Tepper and Rhule by Charles Robinson

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Is it really sounding like Fitt is gone too?  Where did you see that at?  I haven't seen anything that indicated that.

Just the general vibe.  Teppers press conference.   A talented new coach will want his guy at GM etc.  Listen to the video segment in the article they talk about it.   If by some grace of God Tepper does land Peyton (which is probably a 1% chance) then he is most def going to want control.  Other hot names will probably want someone they are familiar with.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Franchise QBs don't fall off trees. The best way to get them is to draft them. Take as many shots as you can in the draft, and give the players time to develop before discarding them prematurely. The cream will rise to the top, and you won't have to spend excessive millions to boot.

Great point on QBs. Brees was close to a deal with Miami coming out of San Diego, but the Dolphins FO had a concern about his shoulder...the rest is history. You snooze you lose.

Edited by 3838

7 minutes ago, 3838 said:

Then the Saints come in and snatch him up. Are we saying that the physicals aren't standardized throughout the league?

I have no idea but at the time the doctor for miami (who has been ostracized by the way) failed Brees.  There is no way they were going to sign him and his shoulder after he failed.  Now thats most certainly on the doctor but at the time thats all miami had to go on. 

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 1

Tepper had bad people around him from the jump. Buffalo had already gutted our talent and Rivera and Hurney left us with a terrible situation both in personal and in the FO. Hurney should have been canned with Rivera so he could have went with Rivera and performed terribly in Washington. As we sit right now Tepper needs to find a HC and GM he can trust and finding a consultant to help wouldn't be a terrible idea. He needs bright minds and I don't think he's experienced enough to do it alone. 

• Pie 1

I think the root of all this chaos and the downfall of the Panthers can come down to one single thing = Tepper's ego. Tepper bought the Panthers as the richest NFL owner and he came in real cocky with brass balls. His ego thought that he could buy the "hottest name coach (Rhule)", build the best facilities (failed Rock Hill site), pay the hottest name coordinators (Joe Brady), throw money at any QB to try and make it work. 

Once these failures start to mount, his ego wouldn't let him fire Rhule last year even though he knew it wasn't working. Tepper doesn't like being wrong as evidenced by his press conference. I do hope that Tepper learns his lessons and eats his humble pie. This next hire will be critical, if Tepper doesn't get it right now, he won't get it right in the future. 

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I know it was ugly.  I watched all the games 😂

I'm just saying it was a foregone conclusion after last season.  There was no chance Rhule turned it around.  I think we all saw that except Tepper.

I think Tepper saw it but refused to believe it and he was also worried about perception as an owner of firing coaches prematurely 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

I love how they think things could have been different if they had a QB but everyone thry brought in played their career worst here lol. No QB would have saved anyone here.

Sounds like no one is safe. Good.

I think a guy like Stafford would have made our success level go up, perhaps even 8 or 9 wins in a season. But the reality is that would have likely doomed us to more Rhule years and not any actual NFL success.

• Flames 1

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think a guy like Stafford would have made our success level go up, perhaps even 8 or 9 wins in a season. But the reality is that would have likely doomed us to more Rhule years and not any actual NFL success.

I'm not so sure. You should be right but the priduction under Rhule vs not is a wide gap. Add in the oline last year? It theoretically should but I have a hard time believing he wouldn't follow that trend of failure.

5 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/10/13/23401627/carolina-panthers-fire-matt-rhule-david-tepper-next-steps

The ringer ways in.

Since Rhule’s hiring, the Panthers haven’t been anything other than a bad football team—a bad football team with a bad quarterback and a bad coach. Rhule was given free reign to mold the roster to his liking and multiple shots at finding a long-term solution at quarterback. But the roster isn’t any better today than it was when Rhule took over in 2020, and the quarterback situation is arguably worse. As the face of the whole operation, Rhule was an obvious scapegoat.

Damn

The roster is a damn sight better now than when he took over.

It's disingenuous to say otherwise.