• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Path to $30m+ Cap Space in 2023

UNCrules2187

Three simple moves:

• Trade or cut Shaq Thompson
    • This one is inevitable 
  • Extend Brian Burns and lower his cap hit from $16m to ~$6.5m
    • First year cap hits for recent big money DE contracts: Von Miller ($5.15m), Maxx Crosby ($6.67m), Arik Armstead ($6m), Robert Quinn ($6.1m)
  • Simple base salary restructure of DJ's contract
    • DJ was just extended this offseason; don't think team brass holds this year against him and he's likely in their long-term plans at just 26 years old

image.png.0ff817029157a8e741a6732d3cb5b2d0.png

Play around with moves yourself: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/carolina-panthers/2023/

• Pie 8

2 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Letting Shaq go at this point would be a mistake. Restructuring his contract could net similar results without loosing the player.

If it's via trade I'd be ok with it, Shaq is turning 29, so he's not really in the long term plans. 

However, I am not adverse to keeping him ''IF"' we can make the money work. 

For all those that were freaking out about negative caps space, people need to remember how fluid the salary cap actually is, I think we'll be fine once we get to that time of year and begin to make adjustments, etc. 

I personally want to see more Brandon Smith alongside Shaq, and Luvu.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Shaq's got a year left on his deal and will be 30 years old next year. I don't think he's in the team's long-term plans honestly. I think the bigger mistake would be adding years to that deal and pushing more of his money down the line for an aging LB at this point.

He's 28 currently - https://www.google.com/search?q=shaq+thompson+age&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS803US803&oq=shaq+thompson+age&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30j0i15i22i30j0i390l4.4039j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

He'll be 29.

Just now, SetfreexX said:

My mistake. Point still stands though - can draft a 23 year old LB who'll give you 70% of what Shaq does for peanuts next year. 

• Pie 4