• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC to the 49ers

Ricky Spanish

Just now, Mike in Raleigh said:

Just gonna have to agree to disagree. I have 0 faith that any of the decision makers have the first clue about what they are doing. It's going to take a lot to change my mind.

People are finally realizing that regardless of today, the Carolina Panthers will never be a good team again. This franchise is destined for a 30-plus-game losing streak and the first 0-17 season ever. Probably two consecutive 0-17 seasons before they move.

• Pie 1

Where to begin?  My main complaint with what we got is that assuming the 49ers elevate their game, we are looking at 2023 draft picks on the back half of each round.  So, the highest pick we got is somewhere below 50.  Granted, we got several picks, but none in the range that make me believe we are guaranteed or even likely to grab an impact player.

I'm not going to get into the dead cap implications, because as TheCasillas said, the cap is likely to go up more than the cap-tracking sites have budgeted for.  Those sites are always conservative on future cap projections, and for good reason.  That has always been the silver lining for next year.

I wish CMC luck, although preferably not this year (since our 3 of our 4 draft picks in return fluctuate with the 49ers success).  He was another wasted talent here, and the reality is we aren't likely to be good again in the near future.  A RB, or any player really, only has so many years and our floundering around is wasting his and a few others, unless something changes quickly.  And it could, but that depends on hiring a good HC and staff and finding a QB.

Our next challenge on that front is the number of young players in year 3 of their rookie deals, whose first 3 years have been essentially wasted.

What really sucks in this whole deal is we have now had to hit the reset button twice in three years.  That is the price for hanging onto Hurney, who perpetually believed we were only a few pieces away, and he could turn pyrite into gold if he paid it enough, and then hiring a guy with no NFL pedigree, making him basically omnipotent, and watching him turn out to be a buffoon at the NFL level (or more pyrite, if you will).

It might be nice if we got this rebuilding thing right before I die!

1 minute ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

Just gonna have to agree to disagree. I have 0 faith that any of the decision makers have the first clue about what they are doing. It's going to take a lot to change my mind.

Totally fair, I may be optimistic but that can come crashing down very easily with a few decisions out of Tepper.

I'm optimistic that he's leaning offense, that he was clearly pissed off at Rhule refusing to build patiently, that he understands the value of draft picks, and that he clearly understands we need a QB.  There are about a thousand reasons i'm pessimistic on Tepper though so you could see me back to where you are pretty quickly hahaha.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Visual.Avenues said:

I literally never actually post here - just read. But this is a post worth making.

Some of you have some wild thoughts on this - “either gets a 1st for him or don’t trade him” …. What? There’s a reason literally NO ONE would give a first for him. Think about that. Beyond that, what good is keeping him when we aren’t winning with him and haven’t been? On top of eating his crazy contract? Some of you are so completely beyond the scope of reality thinking a RB at the tail end of his prime, who’s missed damn near half his career would get anything close to a first round pick. 

Are 49ers fans happy? I bet. They got a shiny new toy. And they probably think this will put them over the hump. I doubt it will. 

Go to the Saints Report forums. Go to the Falcons forums. The Seahawks forums. The Falcons forums. Hell - any forum (including Twitter) with a thread about this trade and literally everyone thinks SF gave up way too much for CMC. This place is the only place where people feel the Panthers got the raw end of this trade. 

we weren’t going to win with him and now we at least got a nice chunk of draft capital for a rebuild process and opened up a good amount of cap space. 

This was an AMAZING trade for the Panthers in their current situation, and if CMC helps SF, then good for them too. Obviously I want SF to lose as much as possible for draft position. 

Welcome aboard.

5 minutes ago, joemac said:

All anybody has been talking about for years is our terrible QB play.  Obviously it all starts and ends there.  We MUST have a good QB to be even a mediocre team.  Which is why we are now all in on the tank, in order to secure the first pick, and draft one of the hopefully generational talents in Stroud and Young. 

The above statement is true. But the crowd that wanted him moved repeatedly say "We weren't winning with him", like our effort to feed him the ball is the reason we lost these games.

One poster even posted the win totals for the past 3 games for our wins with Christian 5,5,1.

How many games did we win without him? 

How many of those wins would have been losses if he hadn't played?

But, as soon as we get 3 top tier starters/playmakers in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th with those extra picks in 2023 ;and another one in the 5th round in 2024; we will be well on our way to dominating the NFC...sarcasm intended.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

And what if the first round QB can't ever beat out Matt Corral?

Yeah and what if we pick up and undrafted QB who is better than both of them? The odds are against that happening, if it does we got a steal in Corral and can trade our first round QB for a return.

46 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Id take Austin Ekeler over CMC if we are going to do year by year comparison and availability. Austin Ekeler is an elite back in this league. He is a dual threat just as much as CMC but has found ways to get into the endzone more than CMC at 200 less touches. 

You mean with an actual Oline and legit QB he's able too?

You don't phucking say?

If Eckler was here today he'd look like a slightly better Chubba.

It's a different story when the entire D knows you are the only thing there is on O

This trade is the NFL GM equivalent of making a bunch of bad financial decisions, so you have to take your best asset to the pawn shop and take what you can get.

People can do mental gymnastics about how a late 2nd and late 3rd is a "haul", but when you zoom out, this trade is really a capstone of a very poorly run team.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan
  • Pie 4