• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Players hoping to help Wilks win the full time job

Mr. Scot

Wilks seems like the type of coach Tepper thought Rhule was going to be. He has all the makings of a great motivator and seems like he could really rebuild the culture here. Howver, he doesn't necessarily jump off the page to me to be a defensive mastermind or great in-game manager. I still think he would need a great supporting staff around him, much like Rhule should have hired right out the gate.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

Wilks seems like the type of coach Tepper thought Rhule was going to be. He has all the makings of a great motivator and seems like he could really rebuild the culture here. Howver, he doesn't necessarily jump off the page to me to be a defensive mastermind or great in-game manager. I still think he would need a great supporting staff around him, much like Rhule should have hired right out the gate.

He's got Bozeman starting, TMJ finally contributing despite his "gait" or whatever Rhule was obsessed about. Had the defense taking care of business without Horn or Chinn on the field. He definitely knows football x's and o's better than Rhule. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, panthers_fan_in_tx said:

Ugh I don't want to lose a shot at a potential franchise qb.   I feel this could cause that and we remain stuck in neutral going forward.  

It is conflicting lol, but I think we all need to accept that there's a good chance we might need to trade up a few spots to get our guy. If theoretically Young and Stroud go 1 and 2, and say we are around 5-7, and we like Will Levis or someone like that, we need to pony up and jump ahead of any teams that might also be interested in a QB. 

We could have jumped in front of the Chargers a few years back and selected Herbert, it would have costed probably a future 1st possibly, but honestly if thats that it takes to get their guy, and they feel strongly about it, then they need to pull the trigger. If the QB busts, it's basically a full reset anyways, so what difference does it make. If he turns out to be your franchise guy, then great, you aren't going to be crying over a future draft pick.

Like lets play this scenario out.

image.png.a5e144f30f0e8f96f1a9bcc2fc3909d0.png

Let's say we win some games, and it turns out something like this.

1. Detroit

2. Houston

3. Philly

4. Houston

5. Seattle

6. Pitt

7. Jacksonville

8. Panthers

Young and Stroud go 1/2, Lions and Texans will be taking a QB. Philly isn't taking a QB. Which could also mean if the Texans wanted to be risky, they could take Will Anderson #2, and hope Philly doesnt trade that #3 away, then take their QB at #4. If that happens, and they feel strongly about a QB, you need to trade up. 

If it goes Young/Stroud 1/2, then you assume the Eagles take Will Anderson, as they want a pass rusher. Then, if the Panthers feel strongly about a QB that isnt someone off the board yet, they need to target moving ahead of Seattle who I assume even with the success of Geno, will be looking for a QB.

We see it all the time, obviously having our choice of QB is best, but every team ranks them differently, if our guy is there, you need to trade up and not try and play it "safe" and hope he's there. I think value drafting is good, but not at the QB position, get the guy you like.

The first and most important job of a Head Coach is taking putting a quality team on the field each week. The best ones can maximize all three phases of the game and push their staff and players for maximum effort and results. 

They don't have to be either defensive- or offensive- minded to succeed. They need to be able to lead men, strategize, evaluate and coordinate. Good head coaches hire offensive and defensive coordinators who can plan and execute schemes under the head coach's philosophy and direction. He respects their opinions and the knowledge they bring to the table and integrates it into the overall effort. He entrusts them to do the same for their subordinates and individual players.

A good head coach sets the tone for the team. A great head coach creates an identity for the team (or brings them back to one in our case). 

Steve Wilks can be that guy. If he can get the right coaching staff around him, he can succeed. And he can bring "Keep Pounding" back into this team's DNA.