• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Players hoping to help Wilks win the full time job

Mr. Scot

25 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I don't think we need some offensive guru head coach to win.  We need a good QB and commitment from a roster building perspective of giving them a good line and weapons.  Cam would have had a lot more success under Ron if they had prioritized building around him.  As long as we have a GM that understands that, I would be ok with a defensive coach.

That’s the problem when the head coach is defensive minded. They want the GM and the organization to build defense. And then you have Cam Newton trying to carry an offense with no offensive line and Ted Ginn and Philly Brown are his top targets. Imagine what could have been with a solid left tackle or a true #1 WR. 

The other problem is if the offensive coordinator is doing well he’s going to get a job elsewhere. If the coach is the offensive guru you can change out coordinators and the offense should still be similar to what it was before. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

The game plan against the Rams was total ass.  A negative average depth of target?  Kneeing it out with timeouts at the half?

But Wilks has shown he can adjust week to week.

I'm guessing he'll need 3 more upsets in addition to winning the easy games to get HC.  Its possible, but not very likely.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, poundaway said:

The game plan against the Rams was total ass.  A negative average depth of target?  Kneeing it out with timeouts at the half?

But Wilks has shown he can adjust week to week.

I'm guessing he'll need 3 more upsets in addition to winning the easy games to get HC.  Its possible, but not very likely.

I got suspicions about that Rams gameplan. I think the intention was to bring PJ along slowly considering it was a short week, new coach, new playbook, and he was starting unexpectedly. But primarily the idea was to showcase CMC who was very much on the trade block. Didn't want him to have a 6 rush, 28 yard game when you're trying to a first (or multiple day 2 picks) for him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I got suspicions about that Rams gameplan. I think the intention was to bring PJ along slowly considering it was a short week, new coach, new playbook, and he was starting unexpectedly. But primarily the idea was to showcase CMC who was very much on the trade block. Didn't want him to have a 6 rush, 28 yard game when you're trying to a first (or multiple day 2 picks) for him.

It's possible, but my read on it is they just didn't trust him.

To be brutally honest, if you've seen his past tape, there's reason to think that way.

This week though, they seemed to have an attitude of "Aaaah, what the hell...whadda we get to lose?" 😄

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I’m fine with Wilks if he can be our McDermontt.

An offensive minded guy would be great but He should be retained if guys respond to him.

Reminds me of the Raiders.  They were playing hard for Bisaccia, but they replaced him with a "real" head coach in Josh McDaniels.  Now they look even worse.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's possible, but my read on it is they just didn't trust him.

To be brutally honest, if you've seen his past tape, there's reason to think that way.

This week though, they seemed to have an attitude of "Aaaah, what the hell...whadda we get to lose?" 😄

Regarding this, I don't know. It seems like they were playing to win. When we were 4th and 1 at our own 20 on the first drive, and again on the second drive being 4th and short, I was wholly with the boo-birds. I was sure thinking "what have we got to lose? Go for it!" But playing cagey, playing the field position game and trying to win a game of attrition, I get the feeling they thought from the start we could win that game, and win with PJ passing.

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

Regarding this, I don't know. It seems like they were playing to win. When we were 4th and 1 at our own 20 on the first drive, and again on the second drive being 4th and short, I was wholly with the boo-birds. I was sure thinking "what have we got to lose? Go for it!" But playing cagey, playing the field position game and trying to win a game of attrition, I get the feeling they thought from the start we could win that game, and win with PJ passing.

I know as a defensive coach, Wilkes is gonna be conservative on offense by nature.

It's possible though that he may have realized he can't afford to be if he really does want to win.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know as a defensive coach, Wilkes is gonna be conservative on offense by nature.

It's possible though that he may have realized he can't afford to be if he really does want to win.

Alls I know is, this is a lot more fun than talking about the draft. Hope the players keep fighting for him and we get another W this weekend.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Reminds me of the Raiders.  They were playing hard for Bisaccia, but they replaced him with a "real" head coach in Josh McDaniels.  Now they look even worse.

Don't act like Josh McDaniels didn't have the history to prove he is a terrible HC and really good OC under BB before he got that job. That was always going to fail and they deserve it for being that dumb about it all. 

Have you seen Wilks coaching tree/possible staff with ties? It doesn't look good on the offensive side unless we go back a couple of decades of NFL play. McD is already on his Wilks type OC this year and will probably be on his next one next year. Even with Allen that puts them in tough spot moving forward. Defensive HCs are just handicapped in this NFL though that doesn't mean every offensive guy will make a good HC. 

• Beer 1

Whether you're a HC with a defensive background, or an offensive background, you're going to need good to great coordinators in all three phases to really compete. Good to great coordinators are always going to eventually leave for bigger opportunities. If you're a great HC, you figure out how to spot coaching talent, promote it in house and replace it when necessary. I would rather have an HC that's good at that than a great offensive or defensive background. Know how to game plan, know how to manage the clock and know how to get the best out of each and every one of your players and coaches, even when that means sending them somewhere else, like Anderson.  

We'll see what happens with Wilks, but the fact that he's got a defensive background shouldn't be counted as a strike against him.