• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inside the Carolina Panthers' three seasons of quarterback failure

Vox

Incredible article. And at this point, any benefit of the doubt I gave Rhule, was clearly too much. Though I kinda realized that after the first few games of the year, but this just makes it clear that not only was he in over his head, but was entirely clueless and self defeating.

Good read. There is still one item the article hadn't cleared. Seemed that Rhule was enamoured with Darnold and was the one that wanted him the most. But what about Watson? There were tons of rumors that Tepper was the driving force behind that push and to this day, the thought scares me. This is purely hypothetical but had we gotten Watson, then Rhule would likely still be gone by now, we'd be in utter shambles draft-wise and cap-wise and I could see Watson creating a firestorm right now wanting to be traded out of here before the deadline despite not playing a single down.

although I didn't want to be dragged through our last few years, Fowler gives a great article about a maelstrom of misery for Panthers fans.

The good news is, it's over.  But once again, we have to find a quarterback.  We all know it ain't easy....if we end up with the first pick of QBs next year and he busts, I'm ok with it...back to the drawing board until we hit on one.

Wish we could get this kind of insight from our beat reporter for ESPN.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, outlaw4 said:

Good read. There is still one item the article hadn't cleared. Seemed that Rhule was enamoured with Darnold and was the one that wanted him the most. But what about Watson? There were tons of rumors that Tepper was the driving force behind that push and to this day, the thought scares me. This is purely hypothetical but had we gotten Watson, then Rhule would likely still be gone by now, we'd be in utter shambles draft-wise and cap-wise and I could see Watson creating a firestorm right now wanting to be traded out of here before the deadline despite not playing a single down.

Here's the full discussion of the Watson saga...

AFTER TWO YEARS together, Rhule and Tepper were spinning in a circle entering the 2022 offseason, facing an identical scenario at quarterback from the previous year: Pursuing a splashy quarterback trade that was difficult to consummate while sifting through bridge options. And all this while owing nearly $20 million to Darnold. A desperate organization considered an explosive option: Deshaun Watson.

The Panthers had eyed Watson after he requested a trade from the Houston Texans in January 2021 but before he was accused by more than two dozen women of sexual misconduct during massage sessions, behavior that ultimately resulted in an 11-game NFL suspension.

But the allegations didn't end the Panthers' pursuit as Rhule, Fitterer and Tepper plotted ways to land the former Clemson star.

Watson was scheduled to meet with four teams -- the Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons and Cleveland Browns -- shortly after a grand jury declined to pursue criminal charges against him in March 2022. A source close to Watson said the quarterback thought "super highly of" the Panthers after a meeting with Tepper, Rhule and Fitterer. On the day Watson agreed to a trade to Cleveland that included a market-shattering, fully guaranteed deal of $230 million, ESPN reported the Panthers had balked at Watson's demand for the full guarantee.

A source close to Watson says that doesn't tell the whole story. Carolina was not Watson's first choice, though the Panthers were heavily in the mix at the end. Also, the notion throughout the league that Rhule was on the hot seat was a concern.

"The uncertainty with the coaching staff was a factor," the source said.

Yeah, no solid clues from any of that 😕

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Let's pump the brakes on Fields just a bit. I'm still not sold on him or Lance. That crop of QBs just hasn't looked right at all yet. 

It's year two bud. The success of a QB isn't going to solely depend on him but the film shows he's making NFL throws while under extreme pressure. I still love how the huddle can crown PJ after one good game but can't see Fields progressing in a terrible situation they just started to get right. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

the worst part about this is tepper being obsessed with twitter 

One of the worst?? I thought everyone knew its full of bots and 10 people drive like 90% of the traffic? Feels like a awful way to gauge about anything, great for counting how many bitaching people there are tho..

Worst part for me is missing on herbo, just a perfect mold of what you want in a now&future NFL QB. dont care if hes struggling some this year, iggles OC leftd him and hes got a few injuries. ( I have to tell myself, herniay would still be here to keep form seething on-ward..)

Tied for 1st, is hiring Matt Rhule. Each passing day since his firing, nothing but horror Halloween stories keep coming out. Sure it happens when any coach gets axed, but not this many form a team like Carolina. 

Edited by Basbear

17 minutes ago, Snake said:

It's year two bud. The success of a QB isn't going to solely depend on him but the film shows he's making NFL throws while under extreme pressure. I still love how the huddle can crown PJ after one good game but can't see Fields progressing in a terrible situation they just started to get right. 

Youve been seething for weeks and now youre backing Fields??? get help brother and figure it out...........

Edited by Basbear

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's the full discussion of the Watson saga...

AFTER TWO YEARS together, Rhule and Tepper were spinning in a circle entering the 2022 offseason, facing an identical scenario at quarterback from the previous year: Pursuing a splashy quarterback trade that was difficult to consummate while sifting through bridge options. And all this while owing nearly $20 million to Darnold. A desperate organization considered an explosive option: Deshaun Watson.

The Panthers had eyed Watson after he requested a trade from the Houston Texans in January 2021 but before he was accused by more than two dozen women of sexual misconduct during massage sessions, behavior that ultimately resulted in an 11-game NFL suspension.

But the allegations didn't end the Panthers' pursuit as Rhule, Fitterer and Tepper plotted ways to land the former Clemson star.

Watson was scheduled to meet with four teams -- the Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons and Cleveland Browns -- shortly after a grand jury declined to pursue criminal charges against him in March 2022. A source close to Watson said the quarterback thought "super highly of" the Panthers after a meeting with Tepper, Rhule and Fitterer. On the day Watson agreed to a trade to Cleveland that included a market-shattering, fully guaranteed deal of $230 million, ESPN reported the Panthers had balked at Watson's demand for the full guarantee.

A source close to Watson says that doesn't tell the whole story. Carolina was not Watson's first choice, though the Panthers were heavily in the mix at the end. Also, the notion throughout the league that Rhule was on the hot seat was a concern.

"The uncertainty with the coaching staff was a factor," the source said.

Yeah, no solid clues from any of that 😕

Seems like Tepper had more involvement in Stafford and Watson than the rest of the QB's. Cam was probably his idea as well

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Seems like Tepper had more involvement in Stafford and Watson than the rest of the QB's. Cam was probably his idea as well

To bring him back? Yeah that’s plausible, especially with the article saying it was Rhule who didn’t want him back when they cut him .

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Snake said:

Chances are Fields Jones and Mac are garbage