• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

P.J and Geno

Jmac

Who would have thought that these two would have starting jobs in the NFL. Geno was carrying a clipboard for years, and P.J was bouncing between the practice squad and three deep on the depth chart.

Hopefully P.J keeps progressing and keeps his job. Would have never have guessed that these two guys would be successful.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Who would have thought that these two would have starting jobs in the NFL. Geno was carrying a clipboard for years, and P.J was bouncing between the practice squad and three deep on the depth chart.

Hopefully P.J keeps progressing and keeps his job. Would have never have guessed that these two guys would be successful.

Back up QBs regress to the mean eventually. Geno has been good all season. So I am gonna hold off on any opinion until closer to the end of the season. 

• Beer 1

Geno was really good last year filling in for Wilson too, I think he'll stick around under Pete C for a while, he's fit in well with their offense.

PJ is a nice story but I think he's much more likely to go the way of Kyle Allen. I hope that's not the case but I don't have any illusions.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

40 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Back up QBs regress to the mean eventually. Geno has been good all season. So I am gonna hold off on any opinion until closer to the end of the season. 

18 hours ago, LordOfDaWingz said:

Furthermore, a lot of you guys thought Matt Coral was the future at Qb. So I wouldn’t listen to a thing most of you have to say about team building. 

I agree with that but Geno had a few bad situations and was never put in a winning situation. His first opportunity to play with a good foundation coaching wrs and a decent running game was last year he filled in very well. This year he’s shown he can more then handle the job he’s thrived so I don’t think we can classify him as a backup only.

20 minutes ago, trucpfan said:

I agree with that but Geno had a few bad situations and was never put in a winning situation. His first opportunity to play with a good foundation coaching wrs and a decent running game was last year he filled in very well. This year he’s shown he can more then handle the job he’s thrived so I don’t think we can classify him as a backup only.

Wasn’t implying Geno was a backup now. Was saying Geno has been good since the first game this season, he is a starter in my book. That is subject to change. 
PJ is a backup and has had 2 good games. Most backups eventually do what Kyle Allen did. Teams get film and the backup starts struggling. 
If he continues to improve and play well, even against really good teams, then and only then will I possibly entertain the thought PJ could be our starter. 
I don’t think it will matter if Wilks isn’t hired as HC. The new coach will likely want his own QB. 

3 hours ago, Jmac said:

Would hardly call his tenure here successful. Outside of one game and a Hail Mary his stats have been abysmal. Wishing him all the best and hope he becomes successful but 50% completion and 1 TD per game will not get the job done long term. 

I think so many people want a QB so bad in this draft because we haven't drafted a 1st round QB since Cam.  They believe the rookie is going to be our savior and turn this team around.  I'm not convinced any have that "IT" factor. 

I passed judgment on PJ last year and much of this year.  What I have seen is a lot of improvement with his accuracy.  A couple of those throws he made to DJ across the middle where absolute dimes.  The one DJ couldn't come up with was also a well-placed ball.  His TD to DJ was money too.  That's pretty impressive to throw that deep and hit our receiver in stride.  Can't teach that.  What I do like is he has a winner's mentality, and I am excited to watch the Panthers each week. 

Confidence is a big factor.  This has been his first real opportunity as the #1 starter game in and game out.  I don't think anyone should anoint him a sure-fire starter but nor do I think anyone should label him as a perennial journeyman QB.  

He has the tools and who knows with more experience how good he can get.  Let's just wait and see how the season unfolds.  I am sure we'll have a better assessment after 12 games.   Worst case scenario we lose all these games (to the thrill of all the Tankers out there) but at least PJ keeps it exciting. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think so many people want a QB so bad in this draft because we haven't drafted a 1st round QB since Cam.  They believe the rookie is going to be our savior and turn this team around.  I'm not convinced any have that "IT" factor. 

I passed judgment on PJ last year and much of this year.  What I have seen is a lot of improvement with his accuracy.  A couple of those throws he made to DJ across the middle where absolute dimes.  The one DJ couldn't come up with was also a well-placed ball.  His TD to DJ was money too.  That's pretty impressive to throw that deep and hit our receiver in stride.  Can't teach that.  What I do like is he has a winner's mentality, and I am excited to watch the Panthers each week. 

Confidence is a big factor.  This has been his first real opportunity as the #1 starter game in and game out.  I don't think anyone should anoint him a sure-fire starter but nor do I think anyone should label him as a perennial journeyman QB.  

He has the tools and who knows with more experience how good he can get.  Let's just wait and see how the season unfolds.  I am sure we'll have a better assessment after 12 games.   Worst case scenario we lose all these games (to the thrill of all the Tankers out there) but at least PJ keeps it exciting. 

If you take away the hail Mary 

He was 50% completion 240 yds 0td 1 int vs Atlanta. That sucks

The week before he was 72% completion for only 177yds and 2tds. That's average.

The week before he completed 10 passes for only 60yds.

PJ has a long way to go to even be Kyle Allen