• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Willing to wait two more seasons?

Jmac

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Next year our cap is going to be tight. No matter what coach we have I doubt we do much better than this year. 

That's the reason we need to move back in the draft a minimum of once, more realistically TWICE.  Lots of holes and a tight cap.   Our entire draft class will need to make the 53-man roster.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

It shouldn't take 2 years to turn this into a winning team. It's been 5 years already.

Despite what Tepper and Rhule's dumbasses think, it doesn't take 7 years to make a winning team in the NFL.

Right on …Daboll’s turned the Giants around immediately without any big roster changes etc. Just gotta get the Head Coach hire right this time

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Snake said:

Next year our cap is going to be tight. No matter what coach we have I doubt we do much better than this year. 

I can get us to $23.5M is cap space prior to FA and the draft with six moves.

Extensions:

Burns:  $12M

Brown:  $2.3M

Luvu: $2.1M

Cap Casualties:

Elflein: $2M

Wilson: $2.6M

Haynes: $2.5M

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

my bad, sorry I wasnt clear, I am talking about highly drafted rookies like the ones in the top 10 because thats where we are going to be picking one.   If you look at the top rookie qbs in the past say 10 drafts you will see a lot of growing pains.  Which is why I have said 2024 is when we should be locked and loaded.  Should be being the operative phrase

Eh....if there is a guy(QB) that the FO loves in 2023, you take that guy. If not, I can see the value in punting to 2024. But you have to have a concrete path to answering the QB question. Part of that will factor heavily into our HC search. Not many prospective HC's are gonna want to come to a place that can't get the most important position in the league correct.

I can understand not trusting the FO. I can understand not trusting the owner. But if those aren't major concerns, it isn't anywhere close to impossible to turn this team around.

We keep looking at this chaos that our previous staff(and some current staff) has wrought and believing it's not possible to undo. Well the NFL is littered with examples of that not being the case.

35 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

It will take at least 2 years if we draft the right QB. If by year 3, we haven’t been to the back playoffs, it will probably not happen with the next regime

It might or we might have a winning record in year one. The point being that the right coach and/or the right QB will get us back to winning. 

Sustained success will take consistent work to improve but simply getting to 9-8 is not hard at all.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

A good coach and a good QB can do precisely that. Did you see a path to the Eagles being undefeated? Did you see a path to the Giants success this year?

This isn't a talent deficient team.

Hurts has really blossomed he's playing at the top of his ability and their lines are both pretty damn good.

I would say their front four are way better than ours.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Eh....if there is a guy(QB) that the FO loves in 2023, you take that guy. If not, I can see the value in punting to 2024. But you have to have a concrete path to answering the QB question. Part of that will factor heavily into our HC search. Not many prospective HC's are gonna want to come to a place that can't get the most important position in the league correct.

I can understand not trusting the FO. I can understand not trusting the owner. But if those aren't major concerns, it isn't anywhere close to impossible to turn this team around.

We keep looking at this chaos that our previous staff(and some current staff) has wrought and believing it's not possible to undo. Well the NFL is littered with examples of that not being the case.

There is no concrete path and that is the problem, If there were every team would have a good QB.

The most common path is you draft a guy early, and you give him time to develop, and you hope.  Shortcuts are rare.

7 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

There is no concrete path and that is the problem, If there were every team would have a good QB.

The most common path is you draft a guy early, and you give him time to develop, and you hope.  Shortcuts are rare.

You misunderstand. "Concrete path" is meant to convey the path getting TO a QB, less so getting to the right QB. IE, whether we decide to answer that question in free agency(again) or through the draft.

So if we try and court a HC without a shot at a highly rated QB in the draft or a shot at a franchise QB through free agency/trade, it's gonna be a tough sell.

If we had an answer at QB already, it becomes a much easier question but it isn't terribly often that jobs come open with franchise QB's present on those teams.

For us, we have Matt Corral under contract and a bunch of journeyman or bust FA QB's assembled. That isn't going to attract many candidates by itself.

The Panthers failure is a tale of QBs. Teddy, Sam, washed up Cam, Baker, PJ. No one with 2 brain cells would think that those QBs would lead us to a winning season. That's not hind sight, I said I don't want those QBs at the time. Rhule thought that his brand of football was so superior that he could win with those QBs. Fitt either tucked his tale and obeyed his master, or agreed with Rhule's ideas. Watching all the footage of Rhule and Fitt high fiving each other like they won the Super Bowl when they got new players is certainly suspicious now that fans are giving Fitt a free pass. 

So here we are in the middle of QB limbo in a QB driven league. Where do we go from here? Draft a QB Start there. Get an offensive minded HC. One step at a time.

• Pie 2

losing when you’ve got a rookie QB developing is not like losing now.

also this “Long turnaround” idea has been disproven consistently. Get the right QB in here that can actually get a first down over the course of a half and all of a sudden the peripheral things really aren’t as impactful

• Beer 1