• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lions win

jb2288

8 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

And just like in Chess you play to win.  You don't lose on purpose so you can play an easier opponent.

@Mr. Scot stated.  Wherever your pick is.  Get it right.   Our GM has a scouting team and hopefully they vet all the players based on ability and not hype.   I see several QBs in this draft that could be had in the 2nd round and be as good if not better than the hyped-up players ahead of them. 

The analogy is a game of chess represents several seasons. Not one season or a game. 

Your GM can nail the next franchise QB, as Hurney did with Herbert. But that doesn’t really help when you did not sacrifice your pawn to get him.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Come on now your more pro tank than the rest of us wanting to trot out Corral next year. Thats 18 good months of tanking 

OK genius, answer me this.  What do you think about Trey Lance?  He's injured after a game and is on the IR list.  You're the GM of SF, do you go ahead and draft another QB because he's still an unknown?

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, onmyown said:

The analogy is a game of chess represents several seasons. Not one season or a game. 

Your GM can nail the next franchise QB, as Hurney did with Herbert. But that doesn’t really help when you did not sacrifice your pawn to get him.

Hurney may have had it right and maybe he pulls the trigger on him but FHULE over road him and went defense.  That reiterates the "GET IT RIGHT" mentality. 

Herbert was considered a Franchise type of QB.  I don't see one in this draft class.   Last thing we need to do is trade away picks, we don't have, for a MAYBE. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

OK genius, answer me this.  What do you think about Trey Lance?  He's injured after a game and is on the IR list.  You're the GM of SF, do you go ahead and draft another QB because he's still an unknown?

Is SF gonna get a new coaching staff after this season? If so I wouldn't blame them for wanting to get their guy.

Edited by Sean Payton's Vicodin

1 minute ago, Aussie Tank said:

If old mate can’t see the difference in situations between Lance and Corral there’s no need wasting the finger movements replying 

Tell me what the difference is?  Other than we used a 3rd and SF used 3 1st.  Both are injured, but because you wasted 3 firsts on a shot in the dark you are going to ride with him a couple of years.  SF was lucky they didn't trade Jimmy G away or they would be Fugged. 

You'd be ok with allowing Lance to fumble around for a couple of years, but you won't give Corral a single season to show his worth.  

What is sounds like to me is you want a QB in this draft regardless of how good he is just to get past Corral.   I think you'll be in for a rude awaking when Corral, at minimum, is competing for the starting QB position next year.  

11 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Is SF gonna get a new coaching staff after this season? If so I wouldn't blame them for wanting to get their guy.

I would imagine if they get a new coach, which they won't, but for the sake of argument.  They aren't going to draft another QB (especially since they won't have a 1st to pick with) unless it is late day two or day three. 

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Tell me what the difference is?  Other than we used a 3rd and SF used 3 1st.  Both are injured, but because you wasted 3 firsts on a shot in the dark you are going to ride with him a couple of years.  SF was lucky they didn't trade Jimmy G away or they would be Fugged. 

You'd be ok with allowing Lance to fumble around for a couple of years, but you won't give Corral a single season to show his worth.  

What is sounds like to me is you want a QB in this draft regardless of how good he is just to get past Corral.   I think you'll be in for a rude awaking when Corral, at minimum, is competing for the starting QB position next year.  

I would imagine if they get a new coach, which they won't, but for the sake of argument.  They aren't going to draft another QB (especially since they won't have a 1st to pick with) unless it is late day two or day three. 

Yes I do want to draft a QB. I want a QB that our staff believe is a franchise guy. Teams don’t wait till the end of the third to draft a QB if they think he’s a franchise guy. And yes draft capital plays a massive role into how much teams value players. 

Edited by Aussie Tank
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Trey Lance is not an unknown to that staff.  They know him.  They have two camps with him.  They have two preseasons with him.  They have all of last year watching him in practice.  All of the past off season.  That staff, right or wrong, seem to believe they have their guy.  Negotiations this offseason with Jimmy G will tell us even more.

With Corral, we have one TC - and not even a whole camp.  Certainly not a preseason.  He won't practice again until OTA's.  And he'll have a new staff.

The two situations could not be more different.

Bottom line is you trust your evaluation.  If your evaluation as a staff says that a guy is a franchise QB, and you don't have a proven one on roster, you draft the guy.  Round projections and draft slot is all a smokescreen at this position.  It's about evaluation and need when it comes to QB.

• Pie 1

The Panthers missed out on obtaining Justin Herbert but can make it up if they can draft Drake Maye, who will probably be coming out for the 2024 draft.

Maye presently seems to have everything a team would want to build around as their QB. I have no idea what the teams plan will be in 2024 but if they are still QB needy,  he would be an ideal choice.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, onmyown said:

See but that’s not how football works, that’s a typical/casual fan approach - to think the NFL and success of the team is cyclical, season after season. If this were the case, teams would cycle coaches every year until finding a winner.

In reality, it isn’t. The cycle is a much longer period/stretch of time. 

Once you have been watching football, not just the Panthers, for a while it’s easy to see. It’s like a long game of chess, and just like chess sacrifices are made to open the game up.

Feel free to think each season is an opportunity at the Super Bowl scrounging through NFL qb rejects, I’m glad you find joy in that. However, to the ‘chess player’ that’s a losers’ DNA and kind of skirts the definition of insanity tbh. But understanding the process and bigger picture, to include necessary sacrifices is not a loser mentality. 

That’s kind of like saying a game of chess cannot be won or played by anyone with a winner’s DNA. It doesn’t make sense. Trying and failing is not the same as winning.

Thank you for this well-written post. It’s what I was trying to convey myself

7 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

And just like in Chess you play to win.  You don't lose on purpose so you can play an easier opponent.

[decloak nerd mode]

Chess uses an ELO system (a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in zero-sum games such as chess). I don't knw if it has specifically happened in chess, but in other games that that do use an ELO rating system to determine opponents, there have been plenty of instances of people "down ranking"  - throwing games to get an easier opponent.

[reengage nerd cloak]

Edited by trueblade
  • Beer 1