• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anderson is gone, but we still have a bear

Mr. Scot

We also have a bird, an ick and a bread.

From Joe Person...

Moton has kept the tradition alive in the Panthers locker room, albeit on a smaller scale. Moton has nicknames for three of the other starting offensive linemen, as well as top reserve Cam Erving, whom Moton dubbed “Clamp Erving” for his ability to clamp down on defensive linemen.

Right guard Austin Corbett is “Big Corbs.” Left guard Brady Christensen is “Birdy” because Moton thought that’s how a reporter pronounced Christensen’s first name during a press conference last spring.

Rookie left tackle Ikem Ekwonu arrived with a nickname (Ickey), as did second-year lineman Deonte Brown, known as “Cornbread” at Alabama. But as Brown has lost weight this fall, his O-line brethren have started calling him “Flatbread.”

But the best nickname arguably belongs to Bradley Bozeman, the former Ravens center also known as “Big Bear.”

“It was like the first week I was here. We were talking, hanging out and stuff. And he goes: ‘Man, you look just like a big bear. That’s your new nickname — Big Bear,’” Bozeman recalled. “I was like, ‘OK, there it is.’”

“He’s just a big, massive (guy), but he also has like a warm personality — someone easy to talk to,” Moton added. “So I don’t know why, he just reminded me of a bear.”

New nicknames on an improved line

Oh, and just as an aside, they're kinda good.

The line has been the Panthers’ most improved position group, and has done some of its best work over the past month — a four-week span that coincided with the trade of All-Pro running back Christian McCaffrey to San Francisco and the loss of center Pat Elflein to a season-ending hip injury.

With D’Onta Foreman taking over for McCaffrey and Bozeman stepping in for Elflein, the Panthers have averaged 159.5 rushing yards a game since Week 7. That’s the third-best rushing average in the league over that span, behind Tennessee (171.8) and Chicago (248.3).

During last week’s 25-15 win against Atlanta, interim coach Steve Wilks told offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo over the headsets, “Let’s keep running.” The Panthers did, finishing with their best rushing total (232 yards) since a Week 5 win against Jacksonville in 2019.

Bozeman said the line’s play has helped convince McAdoo to keep the ball on the ground. Foreman’s 31 carries (for 130 yards and a touchdown) versus the Falcons were the most by a Panthers’ running back in 18 years.

“Once you bust a couple runs,” Bozeman said, “you build a little confidence, you keep rolling and then all of a sudden you’re just moving forward.”

• Pie 3
  • Beer 4

1 minute ago, DJ feed me moore said:

first year we have had a good special teams unit in my 20 years watching it feels like. They were so bad under rivera.

Yeep. My main reason is the new HC may not run/want Campys system/teaching methods. Whereas most times ST go untouched, if any thing changes its "more aggression on FGs, etc". Hes lost the starting Kicker and main returner on both kickoff&punts......not a weak point at any game, even with a weak LB group(were most of your ST talent is)...minus the first failcon game. ugh..

6 hours ago, philit99 said:

We have to find a way to keep Bozeman. Somehow someway, I like the continuity of this oline. Get it done Fitt.

I knew bozeman would be good for us.  hell I wanted him in that draft.  the oline is the best we have had in years. I do kinda wonder if Brady can be upgraded and moved to swing tackle backup. no offense to him but I still think tackle is his natural position.  I wouldn't do it super early but if the right draft pick is there. 

6 hours ago, philit99 said:

We have to find a way to keep Bozeman. Somehow someway, I like the continuity of this oline. Get it done Fitt.

He might want some cash, but seeing what the Bozeman's do with their charity events and expecting a child I could see them wanting to settle down if the offer is a fair 4 year deal. It's pretty interesting how many former players stick around Charlotte whether they're still heavily involved with the team or not

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, philit99 said:

Definitely not against resigning him but, I wonder if he'll be expendable with Mays as our future center.  You try to build from within and use Veterans to fill the gaps.

Either way is OK with me. 

On 11/17/2022 at 1:55 AM, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Definitely not against resigning him but, I wonder if he'll be expendable with Mays as our future center.  You try to build from within and use Veterans to fill the gaps.

Either way is OK with me. 

What on earth leads anyone to believe Cade Mays is the future?  He's played a grand total of 20 snaps all season - exactly one snap on offense.  In fact, the only rostered O lineman with fewer snaps played this year is Larnel Coleman who we swiped from Miami's practice squad last month.

He's on our team so I hope he succeeds, but there is no evidence at all that he has a future at this point.  Certainly not someone you bet your future on if there is a chance you can keep a guy like Bozeman around on reasonable money.