• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Wilks Likely to Be 'Seriously Considered' for Panthers Full-Time HC

Vox

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

he has won 5 games total as a head coach.  I dont give 2 shits if he is a good person, win fuging football games

I literally wrote “If Wilks pulls some upsets and the team finishes with a winning record (under his leadership, not Rhule’s 1-4 start) I will understand why they’d keep him.”

but thanks for making it obvious you read 5% of my post appreciate your contribution to this forum 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I literally wrote “If Wilks pulls some upsets and the team finishes with a winning record (under his leadership, not Rhule’s 1-4 start) I will understand why they’d keep him.”

but thanks for making it obvious you read 5% of my post appreciate your contribution to this forum 

There is no middle ground here. Critical thinking is not allowed.  Keep up brother. 

• Pie 1

We bitch and moan that we didn’t keep Beane around because we wanted something new that didn’t have Marty’s name attached to them.

We bitch and moan that we let McDermott not take over for Ron at some point.

Internal hires are not a bad thing. I’m sure Oakland regrets not keeping Bisaccia.

I’m not staning for Wilks but sometimes there’s more going on behind the scenes than we know (good and bad) so let’s see how this season goes before we bring out the pitch forks.

• Pie 3

13 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Don’t shoot the messenger 

Espn had a segment on how the league is on pace to allow the most rush yards per carry in the history of the nfl and that teams have all shifted to these pass happy offense/defenses.

The less talented commanders showed that if you can run the ball and play good defense you can stay in games you’re not supposed to be in. 

Just food for thought. I know people will say look at the past super bowl champs blah blah blah but the league has these waves of trends and I wouldnt be surprised if Semi-Foxball comes back in style.

We've talked about the cyclical nature of the NFL before.

It's just how it works.

• Beer 2

8 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think Wilks biggest knock is he's a conservative old school D minded coach. Tough thing is he doesn't have a QB that has taken advantage of the solid O-line so it's hard to tell what's going on with him and McAdoo with that side of game planning. He's no doubt great in the locker room and players love him, but if he got a great OC would be concede to their play calls when the game is on the line? That's pretty much my only concern besides too much soft zone on defense. If you want a rah rah guy he's like 50000 times better than Rhule at that

I'm actually kinda concerned with his staffing.

Granted, with this group he can't be held responsible for anything other than the changes he made after Matt Rhule was fired, but his staff choices in Arizona for necessarily that great either.

Personally, I like Wilks. I think he's a good man and a good leader. It's just a matter of getting it right.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm actually kinda concerned with his staffing.

Granted, with this group he can't be held responsible for anything other than the changes he made after Matt Rhule was fired, but his staff choices in Arizona for necessarily that great either.

Personally, I like Wilks. I think he's a good man and a good leader. It's just a matter of getting it right.

It is a huge concern. Wilks is absolutely the wrong HC hire for many reasons including his staffing.

As far as I am concered I think his coaching tree is a dead end. Nothing guarantees success with anyone we bring in but we have seen this and if they are going to hire Wilks just being Ron back for the maximum does of mediocrity. From the worst to just not good enough. Yay

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

You know what? I love it. I didn't think I would. I thought I would need to see more wins since he has taken over to be cool with it.  While we haven't gone on a massive winning streak  we can clearly see that the team is playing much better.  What Wilks has done that is so impressive is he has cleansed a very bad energy around the team, established an identity, and found some gems (Foreman). 

While the rage is to measure everything in computer generated metrics, analytics, and statistics.....and I get it. While that has improved to a degree, Wilks has helped heal something collectively deep and psychological for Panther fans.  For veteran Panther players and the fans Wilks being the head coach feels like the rightful king has been restored.

We had a new owner, new coach, they were trying to do away with Keep Pounding (probably Rhule).  It felt like our history was in the early phase of being white washed from history. It was creating distance between the Panthers we have loved and this new Panthers that were a different team that only shared the name.

With Wilks our past and our future has been reunited. I think you gotta give Wilks at least one year if he continues on this trajectory.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

I was simply pointing out him being a good person doesnt mean jack poo in the grand scheme of things